tamoxifen

tahoeboundlady
tahoeboundlady Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone taken tamoxifen if so can you tell me how it made you feel?

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Welcome to the site, Tahoe!
    There are wonderful women on here that are just starting their bc journey, in treatment, or have been through it all. You're not alone!

I replied under your comment on another thread.

Also ... go back a few pages. There is a lot of information on Tamoxifen on previous threads.

For many women, the hot flashes and mood swings get better with time. I haven't been on it long enough to know.

blessings,
    dh
  • tahoeboundlady
    tahoeboundlady Member Posts: 4

Welcome to the site, Tahoe!
    There are wonderful women on here that are just starting their bc journey, in treatment, or have been through it all. You're not alone!

I replied under your comment on another thread.

Also ... go back a few pages. There is a lot of information on Tamoxifen on previous threads.

For many women, the hot flashes and mood swings get better with time. I haven't been on it long enough to know.

blessings,
    dh

tamoxifen
    Well I stopped taking it as I can't function on it. I really need to be able to work so will see what else I can do. Thanks for the encouragement. I will go back a few pages and see what everyone else has said. THL
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Tamoxefin
    It amazes me to read how differently we all react to these medications. I've been on Tamoxefin since the end of July and the side effects I've experienced have been minimal. I've had a few boughts of hotflashes, but nothing that was overly bothersome. The main thing I've noticed is that I get fatigued quite easily. I even talked to my oncologist about having the blood test to see if I'm metabolizing it, because
    I wondered if I was having a normal reaction. I've heard of so many women that have had such extreme side effects, it makes me very thankful that I've been able to take it with so few problems. I guess I'm just a tough old broad. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Welcome!
    I just started taking tamoxifen and so far haven't noticed anything too much. The chemo put me into menopause so I can't tell if I'm having any more hot flashes than I was a few weeks ago - I just seem to be hot all the time! Maybe a little more tired as well. I put my first post out a week and 1/2 ago about taking tamoxifen and got some great answers. I did talk with my Dr one more time before finally beginning it and she said I had NO option. I'm stage II, E/P positive / HER2-neu negative and my oncogene (is that the correct word?) score was at 32 - which makes my recurrance rate higher. I didn't have radiation however, as I had a unilateral mastectomy so my margins were way clear - and only one node of 12 was positive. Anyway, it would be interesting to know what your Dr has you take. I was told there wasn't any other option for me, but then again we all have a different diagnosis. Take care and keep us posted.
    -Jenny
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    contrail said:

Tamoxefin
    It amazes me to read how differently we all react to these medications. I've been on Tamoxefin since the end of July and the side effects I've experienced have been minimal. I've had a few boughts of hotflashes, but nothing that was overly bothersome. The main thing I've noticed is that I get fatigued quite easily. I even talked to my oncologist about having the blood test to see if I'm metabolizing it, because
    I wondered if I was having a normal reaction. I've heard of so many women that have had such extreme side effects, it makes me very thankful that I've been able to take it with so few problems. I guess I'm just a tough old broad. I hope you find something that works for you.

So a couple of you
    have been experiencing more fatigue-I wonder if mine is caused by that as well,but I've been taking tamox for over a year now!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Did anyone take it during
    Did anyone take it during rads?
    My chemo onc. told me to hold off till I spoke with the rad onc. The PA there said it is Ok to go ahead and start. She said some drs don't want to have to deal with the side effects. I have not filled my RX yet. Wondering if I should go ahead and start taking it or wait?
  • kimmie2420
    kimmie2420 Member Posts: 1
    tamoxifen
    Hi,
    I have been taking it for 1 year now. I do have hot flashes, and I do experience fatigue. Some leg cramps at night, but other then that - it doesn't bother me.
  • Nufferz
    Nufferz Member Posts: 55
    elm3544 said:

Did anyone take it during
    Did anyone take it during rads?
    My chemo onc. told me to hold off till I spoke with the rad onc. The PA there said it is Ok to go ahead and start. She said some drs don't want to have to deal with the side effects. I have not filled my RX yet. Wondering if I should go ahead and start taking it or wait?

Tamoxifen during rads
    My medical oncologist put me on Tamoxifen 3 1/2 weeks prior to radiation, and my radiology oncologist knew about it because he saw the list of medications I'm on, so apparently MY oncologist didn't have a problem with it. I finished rads on Sept. 10th and all I can say is: as far as fatigue goes, I got a double whammy from it. If I had had MY way, I think I would have done without the Tamoxifen during radiation.
    Nuff
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Nufferz said:

Tamoxifen during rads
    My medical oncologist put me on Tamoxifen 3 1/2 weeks prior to radiation, and my radiology oncologist knew about it because he saw the list of medications I'm on, so apparently MY oncologist didn't have a problem with it. I finished rads on Sept. 10th and all I can say is: as far as fatigue goes, I got a double whammy from it. If I had had MY way, I think I would have done without the Tamoxifen during radiation.
    Nuff

Good info. Thank you.

Good info. Thank you.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

tamoxifen
    Hi,
    I have been taking it for 1 year now. I do have hot flashes, and I do experience fatigue. Some leg cramps at night, but other then that - it doesn't bother me.

Ahhhhhhhhhh
    Kimmie, so that's where the cramps come from! Thank u, I started tamoxifen over a year ago, straight out of chemo and before I did Rads. Hope this helps.. Mild night sweats no other side effects. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    How long after surgery did you start tamoxifen?
    I just had my surgery on Friday and am hr+ so I will be able to take the medicine. I was wondering how soon before I start using the meds?
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    helen e said:

How long after surgery did you start tamoxifen?
    I just had my surgery on Friday and am hr+ so I will be able to take the medicine. I was wondering how soon before I start using the meds?

Helen,
    Have you seen an

Helen,

Have you seen an onocologist yet?

Taking Tamoxifen depends on a lot of factors. Are you going to have to have chemo? I'm not sure they start you on Tamoxifen until after chemo. is done. There are varying reports about taking it during radiation. Some have, others say wait until radiation is over. Also, if you've had a history of bloodclots, they probably won't let you take Tamoxifen because that is one of the potential side effects.

Talk to your onocologist. There are several types of anti-hormone medicines you can take. Tamoxifen is only one of them.

Best Wishes,
    dh
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Helen,
    Have you seen an

Helen,

Have you seen an onocologist yet?

Taking Tamoxifen depends on a lot of factors. Are you going to have to have chemo? I'm not sure they start you on Tamoxifen until after chemo. is done. There are varying reports about taking it during radiation. Some have, others say wait until radiation is over. Also, if you've had a history of bloodclots, they probably won't let you take Tamoxifen because that is one of the potential side effects.

Talk to your onocologist. There are several types of anti-hormone medicines you can take. Tamoxifen is only one of them.

Best Wishes,
    dh

I am still taking rads, but,
    I am still taking rads, but, my radiation oncologist said no way would he allow any patient of his to be on Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen disturbs the cells in your body, it like chases them to destroy them and you do not want any cell moving around. You want them to stay still so that the radiation will kill them. You don't want a stray cancer cell getting away. But, that is just what my rads oncologist says. I am sure others are different.

Sue :)