I had blood work done today 10 days after first chemo

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The Dr. says that my white counts are two low and i will have to get a shot the next day after treatment next time.is this pretty normal?I know I been pretty tired.id like to hear from some of you that have had this come up.And I didn,t ask the name of the shot.Thanks everyone.(Pat).

Comments

• Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Probably Neulasta
    Hi Pat,

I believe it is very common - I have heard lots of women on this board refer to it and my doctor ordered it automatically. I gave it to myself because my doctor's office was 35 miles away. It is extremely effective - my counts never went below normal. It has plenty of side effects of its own, though. Talk to your doctor (or the chemo nurse)about them and about how to prevent or treat them. They are usually not very long lasting and are certainly better than having to postpone treatment or even go into the hospital because of an infection.

Hugs,

Fran
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I only had one the next day.
    I only had one the next day. I had a total of eight cycles. Depends on your counts.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    are you getting neulasta..
    are you getting neulasta.. after your chemos now????? I had a neulasta shot after each one of my chemos... and my white blood count still dropped.. i am 5 weeks since my last one and my blood count is still 2.6....

if its neulasta.. that's pretty common... just so you know ... it can cause sever bone pain.. I would get it really bad.. so I'd take pain meds before going for the shot...
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    My doctor automatically
    My doctor automatically gives Neulasta day after chemo.I went back for a one week follow up my WBCs was very low at 0.5, I went back for a two week check up and WBCs was up to 16. The shot caused some pain in my hip joints and low back but only lasted for one day.
    Deb
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    NEULASTA
    Is more than likely the injection the doctor is recommending. I had it the day after each chemo...The first one kicked my butt 4 days afterwards.....severe muscle spasms and bone pain....took prescribed pain meds for it and it help, tremendously......the next three injections were nothing like the first! My white count, I was told, was excellent each time....We're all different in how we react.
    Best wishes