Anyone get a free wig at ACS?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm going next Thurs or Fri to get one or be fitted for one. Has anyone else gotten one from them, if so, do you pick from a selection or do they choose one for you? She asked me what style and color I like.

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi laurissa...
    Yes, I got a free wig from ACS. They had a selection there for me to try and they spent a great deal of time, making sure I was happy with the wig I chose. They treated me wonderfully!

CR
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    They fit you and try to
    They fit you and try to match your style that you have now, also gave two wigs so you have one to wear while your washing one.
    Deb
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    wigs
    Hi,I went to the cancer hospital where they have a little botique that had wigs.And I got a free one from the ACS.Their was no one their to fit me though.But they were very nice.I also got a hat and scarf.Have you ask about the feel good look good class the ACS has.It is really nice.They show you how to put makeup on when you lose your eye lashes and brows.They give you a really nice makeup kit.you just call and they will set you up with an appointment.Its very well worth your time.you will also get to meat women dealing with Cancer.Do you still have your hair.Mine is starting to come out more now.I hate it but got to deal with it.(Pat).
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    ppurdin said:

wigs
    Hi,I went to the cancer hospital where they have a little botique that had wigs.And I got a free one from the ACS.Their was no one their to fit me though.But they were very nice.I also got a hat and scarf.Have you ask about the feel good look good class the ACS has.It is really nice.They show you how to put makeup on when you lose your eye lashes and brows.They give you a really nice makeup kit.you just call and they will set you up with an appointment.Its very well worth your time.you will also get to meat women dealing with Cancer.Do you still have your hair.Mine is starting to come out more now.I hate it but got to deal with it.(Pat).

yes
    I did..they were very nice.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Pat
    I still have my hair, starting chemo on Monday. I'm sure it will be traumatic losing it. I have a thick head full. I just want to have things ready when it happens. It will be very different.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    laurissa said:

Pat
    I still have my hair, starting chemo on Monday. I'm sure it will be traumatic losing it. I have a thick head full. I just want to have things ready when it happens. It will be very different.

Laurissa
    I had very thick long hair too...when I went they had a huge selection. If they dont have one you like, they can order one for you.
    Yes, it is hard losing it but remember, it will grow back. I shaved mine last friday..14 days after treatment. Dont watch your long hair fall out...it is a mess and I think it would be much harder.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I'm not sure exactly who I
    I'm not sure exactly who I got my wig from but it was free and is great. The first one I got was through the Cancer Care Institute - it wasn't great for me but for the right person it would be. Hadn't lost my hair yet so never wore it. When I went to the Look Good Fell Better Class at the CCI (still had hair), there was another wig that had come in and it was better but still not 'me' so I swapped the first one for it. The cosmetologist that did the program said that she had a longer wig at her shop that she thought would be a good match for me and to come down and check it out - she was right. It isn't the same color as my hair but that is fine as my hair is naturally too dark for my age (at 63 your hair shouldn't be very dark brown LOL but mine was). Other than being a much lighter frosted, it's almost the same style and length my hair was - I can even pull it back in a pony tail which is what I usually do.