Mammogram question

ssfbeagle
ssfbeagle Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just mailed a letter regarding my recent mammogram on Sept. 24th. It stated I needed further evaluation on my right breast. Four years ago I also had further testing on the same breast that turned out to be calcifications. In that letter it stated further films are not an automatic indication for cancer. This letter I received today did not mention that but stated I needed an additional signed and dated order from my doctor. If it is suspicious for cancer how do they notify you?

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    I can't believe they just
    I can't believe they just sent you a letter with no phone call from your doctor!?

My OB/Gyn called and told me that I had an abnormal mammogram. I didn't receive the letter until a week later. After that mammogram, I had a diagnostic mammo. and once again heard the news from my doctor, not the letter. Was scheduled for a biopsy and after the biopsy I received a phone call three days later with the results. He told me over the phone.

I didn't know after my mammogram ... the tech's, the radiologist told me nothing. I had to wait for the phone call.

Hope you found out some answers soon and that it is good news!
    dh
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    ssfbeagle
    I'm not sure that they even would tell you that it is cancer.(?) I believe they leave this up to the doctor to give you that information. Call your doctor, it may just be that the Mammogram results weren't clear & that they recommend further testing such as an Ultrasound or MRI just to be sure. I'm sure others here will be better able to answer that for you and will be responding shortly. Please keep us posted.
    Prayers & Hugz,
    Cat
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member

I can't believe they just sent you a letter with no phone call from your doctor!?

My OB/Gyn called and told me that I had an abnormal mammogram. I didn't receive the letter until a week later. After that mammogram, I had a diagnostic mammo. and once again heard the news from my doctor, not the letter. Was scheduled for a biopsy and after the biopsy I received a phone call three days later with the results. He told me over the phone.

I didn't know after my mammogram ... the tech's, the radiologist told me nothing. I had to wait for the phone call.

dh

I received both. The call
    I received both. The call came a day before the memmo. From the call teling me of the abnormal right breast mammo to my lumectomy, all happened within the month of July.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member

dh

The Radiologist who read the
    The Radiologist who read the follow-up screenings told me it was probably cancer. I was in a room with the nurse who was like the head of the Reginal Breast center and the Dr/radiologist. The Dr. was matter-a-factly, the Nurse was very compationate and nice. Following week I had the biopsy. My PCP called me with the results, IDC. By then I had my surgeon picked out, she told me he was definately the best. She faxed the info, I called, and got the appointment that Friday, following Thursday had my surgery.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Form letter
    From my experience, these are usually generated form letters that are sent out. I never went a year without receiving one. I did notice slight variations over the years though. I believe these are required by law to be sent now. If it is a diagnostic evaluation they need, usually your doctor will inform you, prior to receiving any letter. They may have indicated you an need additional request from your Doctor mainly for Insurance purposes. I would call your Doctor tomorrow and ask whats up? There is always the possibility that your info was overlooked at his office, or your Doc is on vacation. Post back and let us know what happens. Pammy
    PS) I was notified on the spot by the Radiologist that read my films. This was only after my Doc called and set up a diagnostic Mammo & Ultra sound. Get this....I didn't get the finale "suspicious findings" letter until 3 weeks later (after I already had surgery!). How crazy is that? We kinda laughed about it.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Letters

This is how I knew....no letter
    I found the lump myself 3 months after having a mammogram and ultrasound. I have always been told on the spot, if further testing was required...This time I had the mammogram, was told I needed to come back the next morning for further testing....did that.....A dye was injected that shows up as a "hot spot" during a "photo" screening. A hot spot showed exactly where the tumor was and only there and I had a core needle biopsy that very afternoon. I was told then by my radiologist who has been doing this for 25 years and a bc survivor herself, that it was cancer, and she would give me the final pathology report the next day....the next thing I knew I was on my way to a surgeon.....it's been a long 7 months,lumpectomy, chemo and now radiaiton.
    I think the request for an order from your physician is for insurance purposes, for another mammogram. Almost everything has to be "pre approved" today.
    I wish you the best and keep us posted.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    MAJW said:

Letters

This is how I knew....no letter
    I found the lump myself 3 months after having a mammogram and ultrasound. I have always been told on the spot, if further testing was required...This time I had the mammogram, was told I needed to come back the next morning for further testing....did that.....A dye was injected that shows up as a "hot spot" during a "photo" screening. A hot spot showed exactly where the tumor was and only there and I had a core needle biopsy that very afternoon. I was told then by my radiologist who has been doing this for 25 years and a bc survivor herself, that it was cancer, and she would give me the final pathology report the next day....the next thing I knew I was on my way to a surgeon.....it's been a long 7 months,lumpectomy, chemo and now radiaiton.
    I think the request for an order from your physician is for insurance purposes, for another mammogram. Almost everything has to be "pre approved" today.
    I wish you the best and keep us posted.

After my first mammogram
    I was called by my doctor to come in and talk to her. She got me in right away. She said that they wanted to do more intense mammograms and possibly an ultrasound and core biopsy. And, they got all of that scheduled and done the very next day. That is how I started down the path. But, I am happy to say that I had a lumpectomy, finished rads just a little bit ago and am living a very happy and cancer free life now! And, you will too!

I wish you good luck

Kylez ♥