Post-mastectomy and recovery

sherik
sherik Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a right breast mastectomy last Thursday for dispersed low to high grade DCIS. At time of surgery they did a sentinal node biopsy with 3 lymph nodes removed all CLEAR and good margins. I had a tissue expander placed immediately and have 3 drains in. I feel like I'm doing really well - off narcotic painkillers since Tuesday night and now just taking Tylenol to manage remaining pain. I finally pooped - what a drag. But I feel like I definitely have some pain. It feels like it's from the drains - they totally suck although they are doing their job. I feel like a shish kebab. I'm having them removed hopefully on Monday afternoon. I can't wait, but fear that it will be painful. I'm planning on taking a pain pill before I go. Anyone have any advice? I'll get my final path report on Monday morning - hoping all looks good so I can focus on recovery and be done without any rads or chemo. What should I look out for on the final path appointment? With all this down time at home this is all sinking in. I function well when there are things to do...but now I have to rest. Hard. Folks have been amazing helping out - my husband is working double time in the parenting dept and folks from work are stopping off every other day with food. Feeling lucky and cared for. Though still I feel pretty f'in grouchy at times.
I hope others are doing well. I took a hiatus from the boards, but now returning slowly.
Sheri

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Good to hear from you!
    I was wondering how you were doing. You are about my age and we joined about the same time, with a similar diagnosis. You're ahead of me, though. So glad you made it through and it sounds like a really good report! :)

I have no advice because I haven't been through all of that yet, but so glad you're recovering. Hang in there!

Blessings, peace and speedy recovery,
    dh
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Sheri...
    Wow, you do sound like you are coming along great! It is hard to just rest. But it is what your body needs to heal. I feel bad for anyone that had to have drains (I didn't have any) and I hope yours come out Monday. Hang in there. Keep us posted. Pammy
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

Good to hear from you!
    I was wondering how you were doing. You are about my age and we joined about the same time, with a similar diagnosis. You're ahead of me, though. So glad you made it through and it sounds like a really good report! :)

I have no advice because I haven't been through all of that yet, but so glad you're recovering. Hang in there!

dh

Sheri, glad to hear things
    Sheri, glad to hear things are going well for you. It is a drag to have to rest when that's not your normal style, but you need it for a good recovery. I didn't take any of the painkillers starting two days after surgery, using just Advil or Tylenol, and for me it was a great plus. I think that if you can handle the pain with only Tylenol, you won't have any trouble when the drains are taken out. At least for mine, they cut the stitches that connected them to my body and then they pulled right out. There was a little discomfort with one of them, but not really painful.

Take care, and now's the time to take advantage of your husband's and co-workers' kindness, so you can recover as quickly as possible.

Joyce
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    It sounds like you will do
    It sounds like you will do great with drains. The first drain I had removed was painful but the last 2 came out with no pain. It is so much more comfortable without them. My last 2 were removed Monday. I can now roll over on to my right side. Left side still too sore but hoping soon. Sleeping on my back since bilateral mastectomies with Latissimus reconstruction 3 wks ago has been a challenge. Good Luck. Take care. Marilyn
  • tahoeboundlady
    tahoeboundlady Member Posts: 4

It sounds like you will do great with drains. The first drain I had removed was painful but the last 2 came out with no pain. It is so much more comfortable without them. My last 2 were removed Monday. I can now roll over on to my right side. Left side still too sore but hoping soon. Sleeping on my back since bilateral mastectomies with Latissimus reconstruction 3 wks ago has been a challenge. Good Luck. Take care. Marilyn

breast cancer
    Hey guys I am new to all of this. I found a lump in my right breast on Aug. 19th, 09. Made and appointment to see my GP for the following day, had a mammogram the following Wednesday along with an ultra sound, then on Friday they did a biopsy because it looked so big. Honestly I was scared to death. I found out I had cancer on the 2nd. The next day I saw the Surgeon and on Sept. 11th I had a masectomy. Found out I had hormone receptor-positive cancer and it is Stage 1. The Oncologist started me on Arimidex but I was not able to handle that so now I am on Tamoxifen and that is not a good match for me either. The Tamoxifen just knocks me down. I feel tired and confused, just no energy at all. Can anyone clue me in on how to handle this. I am planning on going back to work on Monday; probably just half days. I will get my reconstruction in a few weeks as the surgeon I used doesn't like to do it at the same time you have your surgery. What is hard about all of this is that my husband is working in another city. We had put our house on the market so we could move there. We have taken it off for right now as I don't have the energy to keep it up and with everything going on it just wouldn't work. We do plan to put it back on shortly. Anyway if anyone has any ideas on how to handle the Tamoxifen I would love to hear from you. Sorry this is so long but I really do need some help. And asking for help is hard for me. Thanks alot guys. Tahoeboundlady
  • Dawne.Hope

breast cancer
    Hey guys I am new to all of this. I found a lump in my right breast on Aug. 19th, 09. Made and appointment to see my GP for the following day, had a mammogram the following Wednesday along with an ultra sound, then on Friday they did a biopsy because it looked so big. Honestly I was scared to death. I found out I had cancer on the 2nd. The next day I saw the Surgeon and on Sept. 11th I had a masectomy. Found out I had hormone receptor-positive cancer and it is Stage 1. The Oncologist started me on Arimidex but I was not able to handle that so now I am on Tamoxifen and that is not a good match for me either. The Tamoxifen just knocks me down. I feel tired and confused, just no energy at all. Can anyone clue me in on how to handle this. I am planning on going back to work on Monday; probably just half days. I will get my reconstruction in a few weeks as the surgeon I used doesn't like to do it at the same time you have your surgery. What is hard about all of this is that my husband is working in another city. We had put our house on the market so we could move there. We have taken it off for right now as I don't have the energy to keep it up and with everything going on it just wouldn't work. We do plan to put it back on shortly. Anyway if anyone has any ideas on how to handle the Tamoxifen I would love to hear from you. Sorry this is so long but I really do need some help. And asking for help is hard for me. Thanks alot guys. Tahoeboundlady

Tahoebound,I started on
    Tahoebound,

I started on Tamoxifen a couple of weeks ago. I asked my onocologist if I could take 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 in the evening and it has helped, at least the hotflashes. She also wants me to take one regular aspirin a day to prevent blood clots.

I'm tired, but I'm not sure if it is from the Tamoxifen or just life right now.

I've experienced 'warm flashes' not really hot, but I feel like there is a little interior heater inside my body that keeps me warm (I'm usually freezing!).

The biggest side effect so far is emotional. I've cried every day for a week and I'm not normally a crier.

This site is a wonderful place to meet women all along the journey with BC. Keep asking questions and know you're not alone.

Blessings,
    dh
  • sherik

breast cancer

Hi Tahoe
    I can't help you

Hi Tahoe
    I can't help you with the tamoxifen, but just wanted to say hello and wish you well. It sounds like things have happened so quickly and you sound really strong. Good for you for acting quickly and taking care of business. Hang in there with it and don't forget to take care of yourself! I can empathize with the not being the type that usually asks for help but you came to the right place for some answers and experience. You may want to post an additional discussion topic on tomoxifin so others can more readily see it.
    Sheri
  • sherik

Good to hear from you!

dh

I've been thinking of you too
    I hope you are doing ok. I read below that you started on Tomoxifin. It sounds challenging, but hang in there. What is the next step for you? I fell off the boards for a bit with preparation for surgery and trying to tie up loose ends at work so I wouldn't stress while on leave and then surgery itself, but now reconnecting during the healing process. Thanks for your kind words.
  • sherik

thanks pammy and marilyn
    I'm

thanks pammy and marilyn
    I'm going to take care of myself and go to bed early. marilyn, hoping you are right re the minimal pain. I feel like a complainer as I'm only dealing with one side and you are having to deal with both. keep up the healing!
    Sheri
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    sherik said:

thanks pammy and marilyn
    I'm

thanks pammy and marilyn
    I'm going to take care of myself and go to bed early. marilyn, hoping you are right re the minimal pain. I feel like a complainer as I'm only dealing with one side and you are having to deal with both. keep up the healing!
    Sheri

I think we all have a right
    I think we all have a right to complain just a little bit. Our bodies are going thru so much. Sometimes I think our minds just can't keep up. I sometimes wonder why I was chosen to have bc twice now. my 39 yr old daughter was born with mild hydrocephalus. She has grown into a beautiful healthy woman. When she was small a friend gave me a copy of a poem about God picking us to be parents to this special child. God has a good plan for our lives and we will be ok no matter what. I will say a prayer that your drains come out painfree. Take care. Marilyn
  • Dawne.Hope
    Are the drains removed yet?
    Sherik,

Just wondering if the drains were removed yet and checking in to see how you're doing?

Hope everything went well, no pain!

Take care,
    dh