Lumpectomy and lymph node question

MGNS
MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have recently been diagnosed with stage 2 DSC after having one node removed that came back positive from pathology. I have had two breast biopsies within the last week to mark the duct the cells are coming from, but both biopsies have come back showing nothing. I just had am MRI this morning to try to find the area in my breast with the naughty little cells. My mind is spinning with all the tests and details.
Since it is the weekend my doctor is unavailable to answer my questions, plus I don't want to bug him until I know MRI results.
I'm just wondering if the MRI comes back negative:
1. Can lymph nodes be removed and chemo given without doing anything to the breast?
2. Could original pathology report be wrong and how long are tissue samples kept after testing?
I'm just wondering if mine got mixed up with another person's in the lab...scary thought!

I just need to hear if anyone else has had a similiar experience and outcomes.
Thanks for being here for me!
MGNS

Comments

• ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    I can't answer your question
    I can't answer your question but I know from my own experience that DCIS although very treatable can also be very elusive. I had two lumpectomys and they still couldn't get clear margins. You must sit down with your surgeon and ask these important questions and make sure you get answers. If you don't get answers, take your pathology reports and get a 2nd opinion. NEVER EVER feel like your bugging the doctor. This is your life your talking about and it is their job to get bugged!!! Also if you haven't seen an oncologist yet, you should probably do so. My surgeon set me up with my oncologist before I even made my final decision as to what surgery to have next. It was very helpful since the oncologist is the one who is going to take you through the long journey of treatment and recovery. Hope this helps and call first thing Monday Morning.

I'll keep you in my prayers

Ruthie
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member

I can't answer your question
    I can't answer your question but I know from my own experience that DCIS although very treatable can also be very elusive. I had two lumpectomys and they still couldn't get clear margins. You must sit down with your surgeon and ask these important questions and make sure you get answers. If you don't get answers, take your pathology reports and get a 2nd opinion. NEVER EVER feel like your bugging the doctor. This is your life your talking about and it is their job to get bugged!!! Also if you haven't seen an oncologist yet, you should probably do so. My surgeon set me up with my oncologist before I even made my final decision as to what surgery to have next. It was very helpful since the oncologist is the one who is going to take you through the long journey of treatment and recovery. Hope this helps and call first thing Monday Morning.

I'll keep you in my prayers

Ruthie

Thank you for your input,
    Thank you for your input, support and prayers.
    I met with oncologist last week, before the MRI,and am planning on calling him to meet again and discuss outcome of MRI. I guess I still can't believe this is happening because I feel so good and all CAT scans, bone scans, and biopsies are coming back clear.
    I will call Mon. morning for sure!
    Thank you again for the positive support.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    MGNS said:

Thank you for your input,
    Thank you for your input, support and prayers.
    I met with oncologist last week, before the MRI,and am planning on calling him to meet again and discuss outcome of MRI. I guess I still can't believe this is happening because I feel so good and all CAT scans, bone scans, and biopsies are coming back clear.
    I will call Mon. morning for sure!
    Thank you again for the positive support.

Welcome, MGNS
    My diagnosis was very different from yours, but I just wanted to say welcome and how glad I am that you've met with an oncologist at this early stage -- I definitely agree with Ruthie about how helpful an oncologist's input can be, even when you don't have a definite treatment plan yet.

And I hear you so clearly about how weird it is that you feel just fine, but all these medical professionals are telling you that you have cancer! When I got my diagnosis, physically I felt exactly the same, yet they're telling me I need surgery, and chemo, and...and.... That's truly one of the strangest things about this journey. I kept wanting to say, but I'm not sick, you must have made a mistake!

Keep us posted on how you're doing, and ask any questions, anytime.

Traci
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, MGNS
    My diagnosis was very different from yours, but I just wanted to say welcome and how glad I am that you've met with an oncologist at this early stage -- I definitely agree with Ruthie about how helpful an oncologist's input can be, even when you don't have a definite treatment plan yet.

And I hear you so clearly about how weird it is that you feel just fine, but all these medical professionals are telling you that you have cancer! When I got my diagnosis, physically I felt exactly the same, yet they're telling me I need surgery, and chemo, and...and.... That's truly one of the strangest things about this journey. I kept wanting to say, but I'm not sick, you must have made a mistake!

Keep us posted on how you're doing, and ask any questions, anytime.

Traci

It is tough time
    Hi MGNS,
    I understand that you have been getting very shocking news. Unfortunately we all have been through the similar situation. Yes, it is possible that pathologist made a mistake. That was my reaction, when I heard my pathology report. Most breast cancer patients do not feel sick at the time of diagnosis. I was not exception, while ended with stage III.

You definitely need to talk to oncologist, breast surgeon and seek a second opinion.

Good luck
    New Flower