Breast cancer month, of course...

Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well it's breast cancer month, of course every month is for us! Just wanted to thank all of you that have given me inspiration and advice. I would also like to thank all the caregivers that are standing there with us. Husbands, mothers, sisters significate others, co-workers, and surviors on this site. Sending love and support to all that are in need. Katz

Comments

• ladydi1
    ladydi1 Member Posts: 120
    October--Breast Cancer Awareness Month...What will you do?
    We all need to do whatever we can , whether it is being that walking pink "in your face" reminder that there are millions of us with bc, or being our own advocates to the medical profession, so they know we won't just take our pills and go away--we want that cure, better meds with less horrific side effects and to be treated with dignity as we are no less a person because of this disease. We need to fight against discrimination in our work places and with our insurance carriers, and we need to lobby with our government leaders so they understand we can't wait any longer for that cure while attending funerals of our friends who carried that hope to their graves.
    We didn't start this war, we didn't ask to be drafted into it's army, but we are all here now, so what are we going to do to "make that difference" for ourselves, our friends and relatives and most important--our children?

Hugs,
    Ladydi1
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I am participating in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
    5K walk next Saturday, 10/10 on the beach. This is my first walk but one I will continue every year I am able. My hope is that in my lifetime there is a cure. I will continue to be an advocate for breast cancer research and awareness. They say "everything happens for a reason".
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    ladydi1 said:

We all need to do whatever we can , whether it is being that walking pink "in your face" reminder that there are millions of us with bc, or being our own advocates to the medical profession, so they know we won't just take our pills and go away--we want that cure, better meds with less horrific side effects and to be treated with dignity as we are no less a person because of this disease. We need to fight against discrimination in our work places and with our insurance carriers, and we need to lobby with our government leaders so they understand we can't wait any longer for that cure while attending funerals of our friends who carried that hope to their graves.
    We didn't start this war, we didn't ask to be drafted into it's army, but we are all here now, so what are we going to do to "make that difference" for ourselves, our friends and relatives and most important--our children?

Hugs,
    Ladydi1

Well said, ladydi. They've
    Well said, ladydi. They've come so far, and I am so thankful that the side-effects of chemo. and radiation are so much better than they used to be, so thankful for the new drugs and therapies and while I'm thankful for all the progress, it still isn't good enough. Only when this webpage is empty, no more newbies ... only when those who are diagnosed are cured, only when we no longer have to stand at the graves of our mothers, our daughters, our sisters, only then will it be good enough. Thanks for the reminder!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    You guys want to hear something really neat?
    One of my area's daily newspaper is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month-every day in October! With information from local doctors,stories about bc survivors in our area,a push to get people to walk in the local Strides walk later this month,and a tribute wall online for bc survivors who are living and those who have lost the fight(the bc survivors having how many years they have been a survivor). And on the day of the Strides walk,they are going to print the papers on PINK paper! Isn't that all too cool?!!
  • outdoorgirl
    MyTurnNow said:

5K walk next Saturday, 10/10 on the beach. This is my first walk but one I will continue every year I am able. My hope is that in my lifetime there is a cure. I will continue to be an advocate for breast cancer research and awareness. They say "everything happens for a reason".

MyTurn,
    you are in for a great time! I went for my first time last year and it was really neat and memorable! I'm walking again this year and helping in it!
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823

One of my area's daily newspaper is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month-every day in October! With information from local doctors,stories about bc survivors in our area,a push to get people to walk in the local Strides walk later this month,and a tribute wall online for bc survivors who are living and those who have lost the fight(the bc survivors having how many years they have been a survivor). And on the day of the Strides walk,they are going to print the papers on PINK paper! Isn't that all too cool?!!

Yes it is way cool! Thanks
    Yes it is way cool! Thanks for sharing that info, outdoorgirl! :)
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188

I agree...
    way too cool!! Pammy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    ladydi1 said:

Hugs,
    Ladydi1

Every little bit helps...
    Whether it's walking, or sponsoring someone else who will... Volunteering to work at an event... Donating money to a worthy organization... Attaching a pink ribbon pin to your jacket lapel or purse... Reminding all the women you know about the importance of annual mammograms...

Every effort, every dollar, counts - towards the future. A future without breast cancer.

October is our month. If everyone does something, what a difference we can make.
  • outdoorgirl

Every little bit helps...
    Whether it's walking, or sponsoring someone else who will... Volunteering to work at an event... Donating money to a worthy organization... Attaching a pink ribbon pin to your jacket lapel or purse... Reminding all the women you know about the importance of annual mammograms...

Every effort, every dollar, counts - towards the future. A future without breast cancer.

October is our month. If everyone does something, what a difference we can make.

Amen
    to that,my pink sistas!!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    ladydi1 said:

Hugs,
    Ladydi1

I agree! Thank you to
    I agree! Thank you to everyone for everything you do!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Yes, that is way too cool.
    Yes, that is way too cool. I am excited about doing the walk next weekend. There is also a marathon here in February that was started by a local television anchor that has battled breast cancer a couple of times. There are several people that have asked me to walk the half marathon. I'm considering that but I'll have to see how my energy level is then. Hopefully, I'll finish my rads my the end of this year and should be in the recovery phase. Best of luck to you when you complete this walk.
  • outdoorgirl
    MyTurnNow said:

Yes, that is way too cool.
    Yes, that is way too cool. I am excited about doing the walk next weekend. There is also a marathon here in February that was started by a local television anchor that has battled breast cancer a couple of times. There are several people that have asked me to walk the half marathon. I'm considering that but I'll have to see how my energy level is then. Hopefully, I'll finish my rads my the end of this year and should be in the recovery phase. Best of luck to you when you complete this walk.

That's awesome MyTurn!
    A marathon-WOW! Hope that you are feeling well enough by then to do it!!
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    ladydi1 said:

Hugs,
    Ladydi1

I spoke to two
    I started back at work this past Monday. Today I spoke to two women at work who have been very supportive of my bc journey. Both of them admitted to me today that it has been years since they have been to their doctors for physicals (and breast exams). I asked them to make appointments as soon as possible. One woman said "I'm afraid of what I may find out." I told her that waiting could only make things worse. I asked both of them to make appointments for themselves (I said "Please do it for me"). I think this made an impression and I pray that they follow through for their own peace of mind. I will support them through whatever they may have to deal with just as they have supported and continued to pray for me for the past three and a half months.
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    MyTurnNow said:

Me Too!!
    I'm in the Baltimore area and our "Making Strides Against Brast Cancer" walk is Oct 25th. I was just diagnosed in Aug this year. I have been on top of my doctors trying to hurry them along with surgery and it has finally been scheduled for Oct 30th. They say everything happens for a reason and I guess the reason for delaying my surgery could be so that I am able to attend, support, and raise as much awareness of this horrible monster. I was getting really frustrated with all the waiting but now realize maybe it was "The Man Upstairs" making sure that I am able to walk on the Sunday prior to my surgery!!

GO PINK!