Nails

Verite
Verite Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone have problems with splitting nails? This can be painful as they leave hangnails which catch in everything.

I know it is something to do with side effects from drugs - because when I had a heart op and had to stop taking ALL drugs for several weeks my nails grew again - but as soon as I started on those darned pills - the longer nails disappeared!

Comments

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Hi there
    My nails fell out in horizontal lines and at first it was horrifying. All you can do is keep them clipped and cover them in nail varnish/Polish to keep them together without catchy bits. It passed fairly quick, I had 3 distinct lines from 3 taxotare treatments, then they grew back.............Hey you should see them now, perfectly shaped and bronze nail varnish (I've never been to a nail salon)..........It's scary whan it happens, but it soon passes. Good wishes Hun Jxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Bad manicure
    I am just dealing with the aftermath of a bad manicure (removed acrylics) that left my nails weak and splitting. I've just kept them very short. A lot of the products out there to "strengthen" nails contain formaldehyde. My new manicurist recommended a product called "Poshe". Spendy from the salon but no ucky stuff in it. Seems to be making a difference. Lola
  • JGrim
    JGrim Member Posts: 36
    Not only did my nails split
    Not only did my nails split with herceptin but they've also sometimes just come loose at the tip. The high-tech medical solution for the latter (suggested by multiple nurses) is to superglue them back down. 0.o

For the former (splits and cracks) I would file and buff the jagged bits, then put one coat of polish and then put down a piece of tissue cut to the nail shape. After that dried I would buff it to an even surface and then repeat if needed, then follow with another coat of polish.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    JGrim said:

Not only did my nails split
    Not only did my nails split with herceptin but they've also sometimes just come loose at the tip. The high-tech medical solution for the latter (suggested by multiple nurses) is to superglue them back down. 0.o

For the former (splits and cracks) I would file and buff the jagged bits, then put one coat of polish and then put down a piece of tissue cut to the nail shape. After that dried I would buff it to an even surface and then repeat if needed, then follow with another coat of polish.

nails
    If I hadn't read about the nail side effects of chemo on this site ... I think I would have been frightened. My nail problems didn't happen until a few weeks after my last taxol/herceptin. I started noticing my finger nails and toe nails seemed to have "bruises" under the nail ... as though I'd smashed them or something. But ... it was from the chemo. It really got pretty funky looking for awhile ... and I even lost a few toenails in the process.

It's always something ... isn't it? You think you've gotten over one side effect then something else appears. Never boring ... is it?

hugs.
    teena
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    my nails got brittle and
    my nails got brittle and broke easily and became discolored form the taxotere.. I would keep them very short and filed and covered with clear polish.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    nails
    At my chemo class today, the nurse said to use tea tree oil on them. I never heard of it.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Nails......
    I was warned about what "could" happen to my nails during and after chemo and was told to take extra good care of them.....The base of few nails have, what someone else said, appears to be bruises...sort of black like,on both thumbnails......Both big toenails look the same. I keep them polished so it doesn't show...But I have used throughout Sally Hansen Triple Strength....it's in a green bottle, bought it at Walgreens....My nails, other than the few blackish spots at the base, look great...I haven't had any splitting, etc....they have grown "like weeds! Hope this helps.