Herbs to fight cancer?

kevinpayne
kevinpayne Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Do any of you have any information about using herbs as a supplement? Kevin's Mom suggested a couple, but I've not had much success in researching these, any info would be appreciated.

Mountain Yew Tip
Burdock Root
Sheep Sorrel
Slippery Elm Bark
Turkey Rubarb Root

Thanks

Comments

• Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    My onc...
    Doesn't want me doing supplements as some counter-effect the chemo's job, she told me a multi-vitamin, B complex (has all the B vitamins in it) and milk was what she would suggest.
  • kevinpayne
    Shayenne said:

My onc...
    Doesn't want me doing supplements as some counter-effect the chemo's job, she told me a multi-vitamin, B complex (has all the B vitamins in it) and milk was what she would suggest.

Thanks, we've been
    Thanks, we've been successful for sometime without these, but as everyone, just wanting to explore all possibilities and see if anyone has additional info. I appreciate your help.

thanks
    deb
  • I'm not an expert on herbs;
    I'm not an expert on herbs; however, I have recently read a book by a physician with brain cancer (glioblastoma) which has not been growing for the last nine years since he has been consuming a diet which includes a variety of foods with anticancer activity--foods such as garlic, onions, berries, etc. He also keeps away from foods high in omega 6 fatty acids, which might potentiate growth of cancer cells. Having said all of this, the diet he proposes can be used by individuals undergoing surgery or chemotherapy. The book is called Anticancer--A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiver, M.D, PhD. You can check out information about the book at Amazon.com; just Google the word "anticancer". In my opinion, it is a book well worth reading.
  • Fb489
    Fb489 Member Posts: 69
    Stage 4
    My husband was recently diagnose like yours with colon that spread to liver.
    He will start treatment soon, any advise for me will be appreciated.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Fb489 said:

Stage 4
    My husband was recently diagnose like yours with colon that spread to liver.
    He will start treatment soon, any advise for me will be appreciated.

Hi FB....
    You may want to start this as a bew topic so people can see it, what kind of treatment is he getting?

Welcome to the board as well!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member

I'm not an expert on herbs;
    I'm not an expert on herbs; however, I have recently read a book by a physician with brain cancer (glioblastoma) which has not been growing for the last nine years since he has been consuming a diet which includes a variety of foods with anticancer activity--foods such as garlic, onions, berries, etc. He also keeps away from foods high in omega 6 fatty acids, which might potentiate growth of cancer cells. Having said all of this, the diet he proposes can be used by individuals undergoing surgery or chemotherapy. The book is called Anticancer--A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiver, M.D, PhD. You can check out information about the book at Amazon.com; just Google the word "anticancer". In my opinion, it is a book well worth reading.

Be careful about applying
    Be careful about applying what works for ONE cancer or more to any other specific cancer. I made that mistake. Like folic acid is thought to be preventative for breast cancer, but it is NOT a supplement you want to take when you have colon cancer.

I'd suggest going to a dietician with a certificate in oncology. They are hard to find - only about 200 in the US, but well worth if for the expertise. The one I saw here in MN is fabulous. She will give you information on any herbs or vitamins or supplements and what has or hasn't been proven to be effective, and what harmful side effects they may have, and what doses to keep it within, along with cancer-type specific suggestions.

There is lots of good info out there, but you have to break it down to your specific case too. A healthy diet is ALWAYS a good idea, but be careful about the supplements, whether they be standard vitamins or herbs.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    TCM & Naturopathic Meds
    Hi,

You may want to consult a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner or a Naturopathic doctor who are well schooled in cancer care. I found one of each in Minneapolis who helped me a lot. An herbalist would be able to help also. (I had one of those too).

I know I did some of those herbs 8 years ago as part of my protocol. It also sounds real similar to Essiac Tea that I took through my TCM. I didn't do any chemo for my Stage III colon cancer so I didn't have to worry about any counterindications.

A good book you may want to reference is Beating Cancer with Nutrition by PAtrick Quillin.

Hope this helps.

peace, emily
  • kevinpayne

I'm not an expert on herbs;

Herbs to fight cancer?
    Thanks for the book recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out. We do have a nutritionist that we've been talking to since the beginning. She was very helpful with diet and protein supplements during the radiation/chemo phase.

It is interesting that what works for some cancer is disaster for others, thanks for the reminders and encouragements.

As far as advice for the beginning stage IV diagnosis/treatments.

As I guess everyone on the discussion boards will have good ideas to add. We all deal with this news in different ways and each of us have our strengths and weaknesses. Here are some things that have helped us.

Read all of you can
    Talk to those who have walked some fellow cancer survivors/caregivers.
    Breath and fine joy in each day. Don't forget to laugh.
    My husband said that when he was at his worst the sound of my voice was a comfort, so I read to him many times throughout the day.
    Don't "fret" about what might be, focus on what is.
    Be very patient when "chemo brain" speaks unkindly and remember that quiet gentle encouragement sometimes goes along way for your well being as well as for your cancer fighter.

I'm sure others will have much more to add. This community is so very helpful to us.

Thanks to all
    deb