A Great Big Thank you

1surfermom
1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of your prayers and support. My surgery on Friday went well, but the recovery is a bit slower than I anticipated. I have been having a rough time with the pain and the drain that was put in became blocked so I swelled up. For those of us who grew up in the 70's I felt like the blueberry girl in Willy Wonka. My underarm area really hurts and I can't raise my arm at all. I spoke with my surgeon yesterday and he said the margins were clear and out of the 28 (yikes!!!) nodes he took only two had evidence on cancer.Once again, thank you so much. Love Surf

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Wishes for a smooth recovery, Surf
    I'm sorry for the pain you are experiencing and for the drain blockage. You will heal and feel better. Rest and recover with lots of book and films. Happy to hear that only 2 nodes had cancer. I'll be thinking of you.

Mimi
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Glad the surgery went well.
    Glad the surgery went well. Rest and take care of yourself.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Glad your surgery is over! Try to take it hour by hour, or minute by minute. It does get better. Let anyone, who will, wait on you hand and foot.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Surf
    I'm so glad your surgery went well and that it is behind you. Take care of YOU and rest! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Pat
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Happy to hear from you!
    Surf, see if someone can get a small soft pillow for you to place under your arm. My mom got me mine (she had had two mast.) and it helped a great deal with the pain because it worked as a shock absorber and friction remover from arm to side friction. It absorbed any bumps I might accidentally do as well.

BIG HUGS,

RE
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Glad surgery went well.
    Glad surgery went well. Hope the block resolves. I love the analogy to Willy Wonka but wish you weren't the blueberry girl. You have such a positive attitude and that will help with the just of your journey. Wished that no nodes were involved but 2 of 28 is good.
    Take care, don't overdo and prayers to you for the rest of the journey.
    Stef
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hang in there, Surf
    Sometimes healing does take longer than we expect. I did everything to heal quickly, but it just wasn't going to happen for me. So, kick back and rest a little longer and know that you are one day closer to feeling better. Maybe let your Doc know the pain meds are not working so he can script you something different. I had to do that, and the second script worked way better. Hope you feel better soon. Pammy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Glad you checked in here, Surf
    And glad your surgery went well. Though I'm sorry for the rough - so far - recovery. Hoping it improves for you, and very soon.

Clear margins is fantastic news.

Please be cautious with your arm while healing. Take good care of yourself, Surf.

Kind regards, Susan
  • JoyD
    JoyD Member Posts: 81
    Glad to hear....
    1surfermom:

Glad to hear you are okay...told you that HE will take care of you at all times....I prayed for you on the day of your surgery too ...if you need to take those painkiller pills, go ahead and take them...just like you, my surgeon cleaned out my lymph nodes and found 2 that are positive....if you have any questions, you know where to find me....remember, you can't take a bath for at least 2 weeks....also, try to move that arm slowly so that it does not freeze up...if it does, you will need therapy for it....also, make sure that when you sleep that your arm should be higher than your heart to prevent lyphedema (EXAMPLE: I had masectomy on the left side, so I had to sleep on the right side and put a pillow so that you left arm can rest on top of the pillow and make sure its higher than your heart)....exercise with the stress ball too when you are lying down or not doing anything - JUST MOVE THAT ARM CONSTANTLY.....believe, my arm never froze up and able to move just like normal, although, it takes a lot of patience and a little bit of pain but you can do it.

Let me know if you have any questions....you know where to find me....JoyD
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Surf
    I'm glad the surgery is over for you. I hope that your recovery will be short. Hugs, Diane