I have surgery on Oct. 16

Options
GOOFYLADIE
GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I have surgery on my cervical spine on Oct. 16. The doctor is repairing and cleaning bone spurs around 4 and 5 and fusing 5, 6 and 7. I have been cancer free for 11 years. This they believe all due to the osteoporosis and bone degineration in my body from Chemo. No real anything to use as fact except I never had any health issues until the cancer and chemo.

I was just wondering if anyone else might have had this surgery. They said it will probably bother my swollowing from now on. Alot of people still stay on liquids permanently because where they fuse the neck, the esophagus is right behind the plate they put in to fuse so you feel everything pass thru.

Just wanted some thoughts. I have been off work since March. I cannot even dance with my husband without putting myself in bed for 3days. The neck pain and shoulder pain is killer. That was my latest stunt at normalcy dancing in the livingroom with my husband. I can't afford cable but I have internet so we turned music on the You Tube and Danced. I payed for it!!! Anyway if someone has dealt with this, let me know kind of in limbo whethor to do it or not. I'm scheduled but I'm turnin chicken, but I can live this way either. Oh, and when I am healed from this surgery they are going to do surgery on my shoulder and right arm. I am so glad I am here!!!lol
Thank you, Make it a Great Day!!
Goofyladie (Cass)

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Cass
    Hi Cass

I'm sorry to hear about your surgery - I hope you will be able to eat and it is not all liquids....life can really throw us curves when we're not looking.

I'm in surgery a day before you on the 15th, but will pray for you in advance.

We trade parts of our bodies in order to stay alive - sometimes it is just not right :(

You have a great attitude and 11 years is really something.

Thank you for the post and I wish I could make it better for you - and I would.

-Craig
  • GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Cass
    Hi Cass

I'm sorry to hear about your surgery - I hope you will be able to eat and it is not all liquids....life can really throw us curves when we're not looking.

I'm in surgery a day before you on the 15th, but will pray for you in advance.

We trade parts of our bodies in order to stay alive - sometimes it is just not right :(

You have a great attitude and 11 years is really something.

Thank you for the post and I wish I could make it better for you - and I would.

-Craig

Craig all I can say is
    Where were you when I was on Chemo. You would have been great! I was hoping someone else had, had this fusion. I have not found too many great out comes. And me, well I like to eat. I live in a house with my 3 sons, 21, 18, 16 and my husband we can all eat. Somehow I just don't see me doing liquids. But the research I have been doing looks like most people end up on liquids. I am going to go to Stanford for a second opinion, I think. My primary physician is supposed to be getting back with me tomorrow to let me know what he thinks. I will be thinking of you. If you would like to talk on the phone or chat on line send me an email and I will give you my phone number. I think I sense some hesitation in your posts. You are strong, you have so many wonderful people praying for you and you are doing enormous things with your life just on this board. AMAZING !!!!!!! Say all the important things whether you fall apart or not it makes you human, to your wife and if your wife falls apart its okay too, shes human, Then you pick up the loose ends and tie them tight and hold on for one hell of a ride. It's gonna be good. They say "Good things come to those who wait" you have more than waited and now with being the first for your doctor that places you up there! Keep living like theres heaven on earth and dance like no ones watching. I love those lines,wish they were mine. Make it a Great Day!!
    Goofyladie (Cass)
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Hi Cass,I just want to let
    Hi Cass,I just want to let you know that you are in my prayers.Best luck and best wishes to you with the surgery on Oct,16.Hopefully your surgery will be done successfully and you will also have a speedy recovery.Take care.
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    hey cass
    will be thinking and praying your surgery goes well & you will not be required to be on liquids thinking of you.big hugs sonia
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    Sonia32 said:

hey cass
    will be thinking and praying your surgery goes well & you will not be required to be on liquids thinking of you.big hugs sonia

Hi Cass!!!
    I find your posts so inspiring, just like Craigs, Phils, and all the others here, 11 years is a long time, and gives me such hope, I hope you do not end up on liquids, I couldn't imaging living like that, but if I had to do it, I would, I will pray for you, and hope you recover well with this surgery, it sounds very scary, both those surgeries, but if it makes you feel better, it will so be worth it. I watch youtube alot, and they have great music to dance too even, so sorry you have a hard, painful time with it, do you take anything for the pain? Is there anything you take that at least makes you feel better? I would hate to think you are in constant pain, you're so sweet, and I really wish the best for you!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna