first treatment....constipation

newandscared
newandscared Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
how do i get rid of this constipation from my chemo ugh!

Comments

• Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Constipation
    Hi,

An over-the-counter stool softener should help a lot - or your doctor could prescribe something. It's not only the chemo that causes constipation - the anti-nausea meds and pain meds also contribute - so it is a very common side effect. Of course diarhea is also common - I worked hard to try to stay in the middle between them!

Hang in there,

Hugs,

Fran
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    new and scared
    Fran is right. Plus be sure to drink lots of water. I mean LOTS! I also found that prunes helped me also. Hugs, Diane
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Oh my Lord, you poor thing ... I know the pain
    and suffering .. After my first 3 chemo cocktail, I was constipated for 5 days straight the pain was unbearable. I was not a happy camper. Call your on .. otherwise listed below are a few suggestions:

stool softeners:

senkot or senkot S
    metamucil
    citracel
    miralax powder
    colace tablets
    prune .. warmed up

Also, you may want to buy a book - I highly recommend it!.. Beauty Pearls 4 Chemo Girls -- available at Amazon. com or Barnes and Noble - $14.95

Then get ready to set Tivo/DVR === Living Proof - Breast Cancer Suvivor story ... On
    Lifetime .. October 8th at 8:00 p.m. - Please check your local listings ..

Good Luck and Take care our new sister in PINK.

VickiSam
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    VickiSam said:

Oh my Lord, you poor thing ... I know the pain
    and suffering .. After my first 3 chemo cocktail, I was constipated for 5 days straight the pain was unbearable. I was not a happy camper. Call your on .. otherwise listed below are a few suggestions:

stool softeners:

senkot or senkot S
    metamucil
    citracel
    miralax powder
    colace tablets
    prune .. warmed up

Also, you may want to buy a book - I highly recommend it!.. Beauty Pearls 4 Chemo Girls -- available at Amazon. com or Barnes and Noble - $14.95

Then get ready to set Tivo/DVR === Living Proof - Breast Cancer Suvivor story ... On
    Lifetime .. October 8th at 8:00 p.m. - Please check your local listings ..

Good Luck and Take care our new sister in PINK.

VickiSam

Prune juice, lots of water
    Prune juice, lots of water and a stool softener. Hope you get some relief.

♥ Noel
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    I know how you feel
    It sucks. I first tried metamucil, but it still caused me alot of pain and didnt help a whole lot, just a little. I finally went out the other day and got a laxative from dollar general and it has worked wonders. What a relief!! haha Drink plenty of water too.

take care
    laura
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Fiber load!
    After my first treatment and a terrible bout of constipation, my nutritionist recommended fiber loading before chemo. Increase your fiber intake for a couple days before chemo and make sure you are drinking extra water on those days too. Lots of fruit, veggies and grains and cut down on meat and dairy. Keep it going through the chemo and into the days afterward. I tried that with stool softeners and it did the trick.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi
    Lots of liquids and I mean lots of liquids...lots of fiber, docusate sodium which is a stool softener about 2 to 3 times per day and miralax powder...works really well.

Hang in there
    Linda T