good news yesterday

Options
Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have 2 grown daughters. I have been concerned w having a genetic cancer. Being that I am clueless about my fathers side, just wanted to know. The BRCA1 test came back neg. I was told that this lowers my girls risk 85%. Now that doesn't meann that any of us are of the hook. It does make me feel a little better.
Any thoughts on this welcomed! Katz

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Katz
    That's wonderful news! My onc. nurse use to do testing for this & she stated that in 3 years of testing they only found (1) case that came up positive! And it wasn't even 100%. You are fortunate that your insurance paid for the testing as it is expensive. Mine would not. No it certainly does not let any of you off the hook so make sure they have regular Mammos. Even though you find out that it is not genetic, it still makes you wonder where it came from! Thank you for sharing the good news!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    GREAT NEWS INDEED
    Katz, that was great news to hear!! I also had the BRCA test done and it was neg. I have 2 daughters and I wanted to know along with my doc. I had 3 aunts who died of BC on my dads side of the family.My daughters ages are 35 and 32 and have already had mammograms because of the family history, plus their docs are more involved. Thanks for your good news!! Hugs, Diane
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    chickad52 said:

GREAT NEWS INDEED
    Katz, that was great news to hear!! I also had the BRCA test done and it was neg. I have 2 daughters and I wanted to know along with my doc. I had 3 aunts who died of BC on my dads side of the family.My daughters ages are 35 and 32 and have already had mammograms because of the family history, plus their docs are more involved. Thanks for your good news!! Hugs, Diane

Great news
    Great news. I had this test done and my insurance paid for it and it came out negative which is good not only for my son Jake but his offspring as well.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Options

Great news
    Great news. I had this test done and my insurance paid for it and it came out negative which is good not only for my son Jake but his offspring as well.

Hugs,
    Margo

Genetic testing
    I had the test done and tested negative. My Mother (also negative) and maternal Aunt both had ovarian cancer and my Maternal Grandmother and three of her sister's had BC. Not a good deck of cards for me!! With that said, my oncologist and a few genetic counselors have told me that it is likely that they haven't found the right gene yet. I'm sharing this b/c I don't want folks and their children to be complacent just because you test negative for BRCA1/2. Keep up the diligence!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    That's good news not only
    That's good news not only for your girls but for you too... because they recommend if the brca comes back positive... that you have your ovaries removed, because there is a link to ovarian cancer. Just educate your girls to do monthly self breast exams.. and mammos yearly at 40 or 10 years younger than you where diagnosed... Watch there diet and weight..

Self breast exams saved my life.. That is how I found my cancer... I am 36 with no family history...
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    That is GREAT new Katz! I
    That is GREAT news Katz! I am so happy for you and your girls!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

That is GREAT new Katz! I
    That is GREAT news Katz! I am so happy for you and your girls!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Good news! It is always
    Good news! It is always good to read some good news on here! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sue :)
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Good news! It is always
    Good news! It is always good to read some good news on here! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sue :)

That is wonderful news.
    That is wonderful news. But, be sure and have your daughters still do self exams and be aware of any changes.

♥ Noel