Pre-Chemo Question

Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Oncologist is already gone for the weekend so I thought I'd try here. In what situations will they NOT do chemo? I have a sore throat & am worried that I may be coming down with something. I'm due to start Chemo Tuesday.
Thanks!
Cathy

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Hi Cathy, when I had started
    Hi Cathy, when I had started my chemo, the doctor had told me that they would not administer chemo if 1) I have a fever or any signs of infection, 2) I had the sniffles, 3)my blood counts were low.

They will check you and draw blood before doing chemo so if there is any sign of an infection they will catch it before. Hugs, Lili
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    You can probably page your oncologist
    if you need to. Sometimes they won't do chemo is you're under the weather because it further depresses your immune system. Get a lot of rest this weekend, eat well, and eat your oranges/drink your OJ. You may be better by Tuesday. Hope you feel better.

Mimi
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Yes Cathy,
    you definately should call your onc on Monday and let them know. They'll be able to tell you whether or not you can go through with it.
  • Cat64

Yes Cathy,
    you definately should call your onc on Monday and let them know. They'll be able to tell you whether or not you can go through with it.

Thank You!
    Lili,Mimi,OutdoorGirl
    Hopefully I can beat whatever this is trying to creep up on me before then! Will try gargling,OJ,and extra rest. I was looking forward to starting the healing process and don't want to postpone this any longer!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Cat64 said:

Thank You!
    Lili,Mimi,OutdoorGirl
    Hopefully I can beat whatever this is trying to creep up on me before then! Will try gargling,OJ,and extra rest. I was looking forward to starting the healing process and don't want to postpone this any longer!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Thanks .. Sister in PINK .. I am sore and achy ..
    catching something .. thank you for sharing this information. I will pay my onc tomorrow, and ask. Next 3 drug chemo scheduled to start on Tuesday - 9:00 a.m. .. or Hell week as I call it ..

VickiSam
  • sissy7442
    sissy7442 Member Posts: 3
    Sore throat
    I caught a cold right before starting chemo and my oncologist postponed for 3 weeks. Be sure to let them know that you haven't been feeling well and then you and the doctor can decide together. I LOVE my oncologist--he always said "Once I put it in, I can't take it out-better to be safe than sorry."
  • Cat64
    sissy7442 said:

Sore throat
    I caught a cold right before starting chemo and my oncologist postponed for 3 weeks. Be sure to let them know that you haven't been feeling well and then you and the doctor can decide together. I LOVE my oncologist--he always said "Once I put it in, I can't take it out-better to be safe than sorry."

Hi Sissy
    Yes, it is now a cold for sure! 3 weeks?! I hope I don't have to wait that long! I will call him Monday though to see what he says. Thanks for the info.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Cat64 said:

Hi Sissy
    Yes, it is now a cold for sure! 3 weeks?! I hope I don't have to wait that long! I will call him Monday though to see what he says. Thanks for the info.
    Hugz,
    Cathy

He will probably postpone
    He will probably postpone your chemo Cathy. Call first and tell them how you are feeling.

HUGS!
  • Cat64

He will probably postpone
    He will probably postpone your chemo Cathy. Call first and tell them how you are feeling.

HUGS!

Thanks Ladies!
    Yes, I had to postpone. Luckily I only have to wait another week! Will start next Tuesday.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Cat .. How are you feeling ??? Chemo tomorrow ?
    Checking on you ..

VickiSam
  • Cat64
    VickiSam said:

Cat .. How are you feeling ??? Chemo tomorrow ?
    Checking on you ..

VickiSam

Vicki
    Feeling much better today. My nose is RAW, but I am up & functioning. Not sure if this is a cold or Ragweed as it's been high lately. Hoping next Tuesday is a go! Thank you so much for checking up on me! I appreciate the concern.
    Hugz,
    Cathy