New member looking for inspiration

pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I was diagnosed with stage IIIc breast cancer just over a month ago, I think this is all starting to sink in now that my hair has fallen out. I shaved my head and the stubble is painful and sticks to everything, any advice on how to make that go away, I can't get it shaved down any closer....

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    sinking in
    I think the hair loss is what made me finally realize that I really did have cancer. The lump was discovered in routine mammogram ... and I never felt sick and didn't think I looked "sick" ... until the hair came out. Then I felt like I had "CANCER" written all over the place. Anyway ... when my hair started coming out I had a friend shave my head ... and it was OK for a few days ... then little bumps appeared ... and itching and stinging ... and my oncologist sent me to a dermatologist. She gave me a great prescription for some foamy stuff you rub on your head twice a day ... and leave it there to "soak in" ... and it really helped. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it ... but it took a dermatologist to figure it out.

I also developed a fairly bad rash on my back and the tops of my hands itched and burned like crazy. The dermogologist gave me stuff for those things too.

It's really interesting what side-effects we get with chemo ... isn't it? We might not feel the nausea people used to feel ... but the rest of the body goes nuts!

good luck.

hugs.
    teena
  • pinkkari09
    tgf said:

sinking in
    I think the hair loss is what made me finally realize that I really did have cancer. The lump was discovered in routine mammogram ... and I never felt sick and didn't think I looked "sick" ... until the hair came out. Then I felt like I had "CANCER" written all over the place. Anyway ... when my hair started coming out I had a friend shave my head ... and it was OK for a few days ... then little bumps appeared ... and itching and stinging ... and my oncologist sent me to a dermatologist. She gave me a great prescription for some foamy stuff you rub on your head twice a day ... and leave it there to "soak in" ... and it really helped. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it ... but it took a dermatologist to figure it out.

I also developed a fairly bad rash on my back and the tops of my hands itched and burned like crazy. The dermogologist gave me stuff for those things too.

It's really interesting what side-effects we get with chemo ... isn't it? We might not feel the nausea people used to feel ... but the rest of the body goes nuts!

good luck.

hugs.
    teena

Thanks Teena, the Dr. said
    Thanks Teena, the Dr. said the stubble will eventually fall out too, never thought I would be in a hurry for my hair to completely come out, it sure would be nice to have a smooth head. It's a pain for it to stick to everything, I'm afraid to shave any closer as I might cut myself.
    No rash as of yet but I do have a few bumps which seem like infected follicles but they aren't too bothersome. What's really bothering me right now are my heels, they feel on fire and it hurts to walk, Dr. says it's the neulasta shot and put me on pain meds for it.
    I'm only two treatments in with 14 to go.
    Hugs back,
    Kari
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565

Thanks Teena, the Dr. said
    Thanks Teena, the Dr. said the stubble will eventually fall out too, never thought I would be in a hurry for my hair to completely come out, it sure would be nice to have a smooth head. It's a pain for it to stick to everything, I'm afraid to shave any closer as I might cut myself.
    No rash as of yet but I do have a few bumps which seem like infected follicles but they aren't too bothersome. What's really bothering me right now are my heels, they feel on fire and it hurts to walk, Dr. says it's the neulasta shot and put me on pain meds for it.
    I'm only two treatments in with 14 to go.
    Hugs back,
    Kari

Kari,
    I've heard of something called a "night cap" that you wear when you are sleeping. From what I've heard,you can get it from a wig catalog(ACS has a catalog for wigs and hats called TLC-maybe they are in there-sorry,I should have looked first before I told you about it!!).It is supposed to keep your head warm and stop that "sticky" feeling.I know I have heard ladies in the past talk about it on here... A friend of mine who had been through chemo already and had experienced it before I had chemo,gave me a satin pillowcase for my pillow at night.
    I had the sticky feeling for a while too where I had stubble -sounds like velcro!!
    Welcome to this board.Cute picture in your avatar!!
  • pinkkari09

Kari,
    I've heard of something called a "night cap" that you wear when you are sleeping. From what I've heard,you can get it from a wig catalog(ACS has a catalog for wigs and hats called TLC-maybe they are in there-sorry,I should have looked first before I told you about it!!).It is supposed to keep your head warm and stop that "sticky" feeling.I know I have heard ladies in the past talk about it on here... A friend of mine who had been through chemo already and had experienced it before I had chemo,gave me a satin pillowcase for my pillow at night.
    I had the sticky feeling for a while too where I had stubble -sounds like velcro!!
    Welcome to this board.Cute picture in your avatar!!

Outdoorgirl
    Thanks!!! I have a catalog, I'll check it out, and your right, it's like velcro!! Will it go away??
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565

Outdoorgirl
    Thanks!!! I have a catalog, I'll check it out, and your right, it's like velcro!! Will it go away??

Yes,it will go
    away,but I can't remember how long it took for me. You know,so many times I could kick myself for not keeping a journal so I could have something to fall back on when people have questions like this!! I guess if I ever have a chance in the future(and I hope I don't),I will remember to do it then!
    Also,same friend gave me another tip-there is always going to be a few stray stubble hairs that don't fall out on their own-she told me to get a lint roller and use it on my head! Sounds silly,I know-but it actually works!!
    If you ever want to talk,pm me on here!
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

Yes,it will go
    away,but I can't remember how long it took for me. You know,so many times I could kick myself for not keeping a journal so I could have something to fall back on when people have questions like this!! I guess if I ever have a chance in the future(and I hope I don't),I will remember to do it then!
    Also,same friend gave me another tip-there is always going to be a few stray stubble hairs that don't fall out on their own-she told me to get a lint roller and use it on my head! Sounds silly,I know-but it actually works!!
    If you ever want to talk,pm me on here!

Kari, when I first started
    Kari, when I first started losing my hair, I had the same problems....after shaving it to a stubble, it still stuck to everything. Someone on the board suggested I get one of those lint rollers (the kind you use to remove lint from your clothes). I used it on my head, and lo and behold, the hair did come out at the roots. There were still some spots that lingered, but not for long. Eventually, all of the hair folicles fell out, and I had a smooth head. Hope this doesn't last too long, as I know it is uncomfortable, especially when trying to sleep. The night cap from ACS also works for when you are sleeping. Good luck on your continued journey, and keep us posted on how this problem is during the next few weeks. Hugs,

Judy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hi, Kari
    I didn't shave my head - had my hair cut to about an inch long all over, before it fell out. All ideas/suggestions already here sound good, and I hope are helpful to you.

Best wishes as you continue your chemo treatments.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    stubble
    I too have stage 3 w all lymphs involved. Did round 6 yesterday. Herceptin/Toxol not so bad so far. What tx are you on? As far as stubble head, it's terrible isn't it? I purchased a cheap electric razor. Don't buy expensive, cause our baldness is temporary! (I hope lol)Hope this helps. I also put lotion on after, find I have itchyness after shaving. I live in NM so this may have something to do w it. Good luck w ur tx and ur stubbles. Smiles Katz
  • pinkkari09
    Katz77 said:

stubble
    I too have stage 3 w all lymphs involved. Did round 6 yesterday. Herceptin/Toxol not so bad so far. What tx are you on? As far as stubble head, it's terrible isn't it? I purchased a cheap electric razor. Don't buy expensive, cause our baldness is temporary! (I hope lol)Hope this helps. I also put lotion on after, find I have itchyness after shaving. I live in NM so this may have something to do w it. Good luck w ur tx and ur stubbles. Smiles Katz

Hey Katz
    I think tx is my chemotherapy drugs?? I'm new to this, anyhow, I'm on Adriamycin (RED) and Cytoxan once every two weeks for 4 treatments then I switch to Taxol for 12 weekly treatments.
    Keeping the Faith,
    Kari