FOR ZAHALENE! You made my day!

MAJW
MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
MUSIC TO MY EARS..........23 year survivor! Oh how I needed to hear that.....I am 4 months after lumpectomy.......5 weeks out from chemo......and had my 4th rad today.......29 to go...There is light at the end of the tunnel. But to hear "23 year survivor" Oh how that made my day! After rads are completed, I know there are tests and monitoring to come for the rest of my life, but I am wondering how did you find a new "normal" for yourself afterwards? That has me concerned...At least while I am still undergoing treatments, I feel like I am doing all I can to make sure this "beast" doesn't return...but what happens, other than celebration, afterwards.....? I feel like the life I knew before the beast reared it's ugly head, is gone forever and I must find a new "normal." But how? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a wonderful husband, two grown kids, and 4 grands....I'm 58 and feel like I am starting over........
Again, THANKS FOR MAKING MY DAY......

And here's to your continued good health!
Nancy

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Nancy, I agree that Zah is a
    Nancy, I agree that Zah is a remarkable woman. But, you also have to remember that she faced cancer 3 times. In 86, 88 and in 96. I hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but, I didn't know if you knew that or not.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Kylez said:

Nancy, I agree that Zah is a
    Nancy, I agree that Zah is a remarkable woman. But, you also have to remember that she faced cancer 3 times. In 86, 88 and in 96. I hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but, I didn't know if you knew that or not.

HMMMM
    We need Zah to chime in for some reason I thought it was only 86 and 88. I have had it three times once in 97, 98 and 07. Okay Zah set us straight gal, when was the last time you kicked cancer to the curb???

Hugs,

RE
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    RE said:

HMMMM
    We need Zah to chime in for some reason I thought it was only 86 and 88. I have had it three times once in 97, 98 and 07. Okay Zah set us straight gal, when was the last time you kicked cancer to the curb???

Hugs,

RE

Zahhhhhhhhhhhh
    I told you how I felt tonight. You are soooooooooooo special. I really thank goodness that you are here.................Huge Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    RE said:

HMMMM

Hugs,

RE

Kylez is right (as always)
    '86...right breast, radical mast followed by 10 mos chemo.
    '88...left breast, radical mast followed by 11 mos chemo, 5 weeks rads, then 7 yrs tamoxifen.
    '96...bone in rib cage (right side). 5 yrs megase.
    All three were separate, unrelated cancers. Just lucky, I guess.
    Anywho...as for 'normal'. Well that's a word I had to re-define. Girls, we don't go back to being like we were before cancer. Just don't even try.
    BUT...and here is the best part...if we are realistic and work at being the best we can be under whatever circumstances cancer leaves on our doorstep, we will AMAZE OURSELVES....EVERY TIME with how strong and resilient and beautiful and courageous we really are when push comes to shove. I not only had cancer 3 times but lost my hubby to cancer....I got cancer and he got LOST. But now I am in a good place and life is more than worth all it has cost me to get here. You just don't want to leave any stone unturned in your fight against cancer because you don't want to risk missing even one single day which God has allotted to you. You can read a more detailed account of my vainglorious boasting on my personal page. :)
    God bless you all.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    zahalene said:

'88...left breast, radical mast followed by 11 mos chemo, 5 weeks rads, then 7 yrs tamoxifen.
    Anywho...as for 'normal'. Well that's a word I had to re-define. Girls, we don't go back to being like we were before cancer. Just don't even try.
    BUT...and here is the best part...if we are realistic and work at being the best we can be under whatever circumstances cancer leaves on our doorstep, we will AMAZE OURSELVES....EVERY TIME with how strong and resilient and beautiful and courageous we really are when push comes to shove. I not only had cancer 3 times but lost my hubby to cancer....I got cancer and he got LOST. But now I am in a good place and life is more than worth all it has cost me to get here. You just don't want to leave any stone unturned in your fight against cancer because you don't want to risk missing even one single day which God has allotted to you. You can read a more detailed account of my vainglorious boasting on my personal page. :)
    God bless you all.

:-)
    Zah my friend you are most certainly an amazing woman! I did not know about the 96 dx. and am so glad you are here to show us just how much life can be lived and lived well after one has battled and re-battled cancer. I myself see it as a chronic illness I must keep close tabs on to keep it in check! Glad you are here and glad you are my friend!

A ton of hugs and then some,

RE
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    zahalene said:

God bless you all.

Zah
    You are amazing! I do wish that I would of been wrong, but, I remembered your posting those 3 dates. I admired your strength and kindness so much when I read your posts. I still do. I have written before how fearful I personally am of a recurrance. So when I see what you write and know all that you have gone thru, it helps me to know that even if bc does come back, I can fight it again, just as you did. Thank you Zahalene!

Kylez ♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    zahalene said:

God bless you all.

Though I have "known" you
    Though I have "known" you for years, I don't think I have told you in quite some time how much I love you, and that the wisdom you share, coupled with your clear, empathetic vision of Life Itself is such a blessing. It matters not if the subject at hand applies directly to me or not~ I invariably learn from the things you write. Thank you so much, Zah.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    chenheart said:

Though I have "known" you
    Though I have "known" you for years, I don't think I have told you in quite some time how much I love you, and that the wisdom you share, coupled with your clear, empathetic vision of Life Itself is such a blessing. It matters not if the subject at hand applies directly to me or not~ I invariably learn from the things you write. Thank you so much, Zah.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

You are both...
    just too kind.
    My journey through this maze has been so blessed by all of you here. If I can offer anyone comfort or encouragement, I am more than happy to do so, as are all of you. But I take so much more from these boards and the chat room than I could ever give back.
    Thank you all for your comfort, love, validation, grace, and mercy.
    God bless.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    zahalene said:

You are both...
    just too kind.
    My journey through this maze has been so blessed by all of you here. If I can offer anyone comfort or encouragement, I am more than happy to do so, as are all of you. But I take so much more from these boards and the chat room than I could ever give back.
    Thank you all for your comfort, love, validation, grace, and mercy.
    God bless.

zah, dear RE & Kindred Spirit...
    When I joined this amazing group - as a longer term survivor and to mark my own 5 year anniversary for completion of all invasive treatment - my purpose was to give back... To provide hope, support and encouragement to others. Like you, zah, I often feel that I've gained so much more than I could ever possibly give.

zah - I have often posted appreciation for your precious words of wisdom. You are utterly amazing.

dear RE - Your heart is so big it's hard to believe your body can contain it.

zah & dear RE - Your survival of recurrences provides me with hope I simply did not have before I knew you both. So, thank you.

Kindred Spirit - Our journeys and their timeframes are so very similar, I feel as if we walk side by side.

Thank you - my pink sisters, personal heros, role models.

Kindest regards, Susan (a/k/a 12/25)
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    OMG...
    Here I am on vacation and I can't stay away from the boards. Geesh...I guess that makes me a true addict. I was only going to read some, while I took a break, and came across this thread. It wasn't my plan to respond...just read. (By the way, your all having a blast in Connecticut!! Teehee).
    I think those of you that have gone before me are looked up to with the utmost respect. Your wisdom, kindness, patience in answering our questions over and over again, insight, quidance, and direction onto the right path is sought after and found in you. So many of us value what you have to say. So many of us feel lost until we read a response from you that allows us to breath once again.
    I couldn't imagine what it would be like if we did not have you all on these boards. I am truly blessed that you are there for me and everyone else. Just your presence gives me a sense of comfort and security in getting through what will probably prove to be the biggest challenge in my life.
    Thanks for sticking around, while you live life after cancer, to help all us see that someday we too will get to live life after cancer. Thanks for being there for us.
    Ok, I'm done getting mushy....good thing I can blame these sniffles on the Tamoxifen!!
    Hugs and smiles.....
    Pammy
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Yes,
    you all are amazing and inspiring! And I'm proud to know you and to be able to call you all my sisters!
    Thanks!
  • cheyennedawn
    cheyennedawn Member Posts: 70
    zahalene said:

God bless you all.

You guys are awesome! I
    You guys are awesome! I have received so much hope and peace from this site. I don't post much, I feel more comfortable just reading, unless I am moved to do so. Sometimes its good to just let some steam off. :) I think you all are amazing, and it makes my day just coming on and reading what you have to say. Thanks for sticking around, keep up the good work, you are truly a blessing for others. May God bless you, and keep you in his light.
    Thanks everyone!