Studies on Chemo-brain

Options
jk1952
jk1952 Member Posts: 613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've never had chemo, and I am forever thankful for that, but I've heard a lot of you talk about chemo-brain. I thought you would find this article interesting, in that they are finally doing studies on chemo-brain and its impact on both social and professional lives. Because of the results of the study, hopefully there will be a greater understanding by the medical community and they will be more able to treat the problem. Here's the URL; you just have to copy and paste this into your internet browser 'address' to access it.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/164463.php

Joyce

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Chemo brain
    It is good to see research being done on chemo brain. I used to think is was "just an excuse" until I actually experienced it. It's one of the most frustrating things I've ever tried to deal with. Throughout my chemo I continued to work full time ... and to look back on it now ... I don't know how I did it. I'm an administrative assistant and there were days when I honestly didn't have a clue what I was doing. There were things I'd done months earlier that I could have done blindfolded ... but during chemo ... I had no idea where to even start on something. I was so easily confused ... and had absolutely no ability to concentrate on anything. There were many days when I almost "lost it" and wanted to just run home and hide. Thank goodness I had, and still have ... a terrific boss and great people to work with. They were ... and still are ... so very patient with me. I don't know how they do it. I know there have been (and still are) times when I'll ask a question ... then 30 seconds later I'll forget what the answer was and have to ask again. I finished chemo (except for my every-3-week herceptin) the end of May ... and I think I am finally beginning to see through the fog. :-)

hugs.
    teena
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Joyce
    Thank you for the info. Will be starting Chemo soon, so I will check this out. Ahh....so much to look forward to! I was just reading on the subject last night & it said sometimes it may take (10 years!!!) to recover from this so it's good to know they are doing studies!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info, Joyce
    These types of studies were in their infancy 5-6 years ago, when I was originally diagnosed and endured invasive treatments. I'm sure this info will be helpful to very many members here.