Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

lovelylola
lovelylola Member Posts: 279
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
oh how many I've had to make. Well, the followup with the surgeon went fine. 1 drain out, 1 to go (by Thursday at the latest). She went over the pathology report with me and then I met with the oncologist. They both said cancer is stage IIa,T2,NO,MO. Which is T2 (tumor was 2.2 cm); NO (not in lymph nodes) MO (not mestatized) That was the really good news.
Part 1 not so good news - Yes, I will have to have chemo, but only 4 sessions over a 12 week period.

Part 2 not so good news - I am also HER+. The oncologist said that 80% of the cancer cells found in my tumor had way too much estrogen in them which is why it grew so fast. This can be treated but it is a 5 year regimen of an estrogen blocker. Bad news about that is that I get to go through menopause again (oh joy joy!!). It wasn't so bad the first time around with the forced one from the hysterectomy but I am sure based on what you guys have said, it aint gonna be as easy this time.

Part 3 - not so good news. Given the family history, without chemo, the oncologist said I'm between 25-50% chance of it returning somewhere. Since my tumor was over 2 cm, there is a possibility that despite a bilateral mastectomy, clean edges and no lymph involvement found, a couple cells could be lurking around elsewhere. 2 cm is the cutoff for determining if chemo would or would not be recommended. While ultimately this is my choice, after discussing it with the onco dr and my kids, I have decided I don't want to be down the road and find out I didn't do everything possible to be cancer free. The chemo is a just in case and will lower my chances (along with the estrogen blocker) to 5-10% - much better odds!

Here is the decision part that I still need to make -
I'm right now debating between the two types of cancer "cocktails" that the oncologist indicated would work for me both with their unique risks and side effects. Of course, low white cell counts, hair loss and nausea to with both.
First "cocktail" is called A/C - anthracycline cardiotoxicity.
Second "cocktail is called T/C - taxotere and cytoxin. One of the SE that worries me the most is neuropathy in hands, feet or both. Before I make a decision on which one to go with, which the oncologist indicated that either would work well for me, I need to find out how dibilitating this can be and if it will affect me working.

I do have a referral for P/T to regain strength in my left arm where a couple nodes were taken. Anything special I should know in talking to my PT? Also, have any ideas on TX for neuropathy that could reduce it? I've finally been OK'd for massage!! Yeh! cuz my back and shoulders have been killing me from sleeping on my back for over a week (the drains).

Any help from the BC sisterhood would be greatly appreciated. I know neither choice is a walk in the park but want to be as informed as possible from "them's in the know" - you.
Thanks so much. It has been so great knowing you gals/guy are out there. Have a great week. Lola

Comments

• e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I had those chemo drugs..
    I did 4 treatments of AC (adromycin and cytoxin) dose dense chemo.. and 4 treatments of Taxotere...

my experience with those.....

AC... made me tired, and had a little nausea, but well controlled with the meds...
    Taxotere.... far different story.. I had a much harder time with this one... made
    me tired, gave me horrible, horrible bone and joint pain,made my
    mouth feel terrible (couldn't taste anything and all pastey) and when
    i started on that my eye lashes all fell out.. caused my nails to
    yellow and get thick and at the end of the 4 treatments started with
    neuropathy pain in my hand,

So for my experience... I thought the AC was an easier road.... but everyone is different.. so good luck with either choice....

I know how you feel it's an over whelming decision to make.. i had a choice too between.. 4 AC (every 2 weeks) and 4 Taxotere (3 weeks) OR 4 AC (every 2 weeks) and 12 taxol (every week)....

I made my decision based on what would be best for my family.. I am a mother of 3 young kids all under 7 and decided on the first choice hoping I would have some good days in between treatments.. and My oncologist stated both were good choices and he would recommend either to anyone in his family...
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Hi Lola! I don't have to
    Hi Lola! I don't have to have chemo, but, I just wanted to wish you good luck and to tell you what a very brave woman you are! I wish you the best in whatever treatment that you take. Please let us know what you decide!

Sue :)
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Lola.
    I am currently taking 4 treatments of cytoxin and taxotere. I have already taken 2 treatments and will take my 3rd tomorrow. I have not had the first problem with neuropathy at this stage. I know the effects are cumulative but so far so good. I did lose my hair around day 14 but that's also not the end of the world, it will grow back. I have probably had the "worst" side effects, if you want to call them that, from the Neulasta shot. I do get bone pain in my back and legs starting on day 3-4 after the shot. This is controlled for me by simply taking Tylenol. Good luck on your decision, I know it's a personal one, but wanted you to know my experience so far with these 2 drugs. As far as my working, I take my treatments on Thursday and take off Thursday and Friday from work. Then, I have been working 40 hours with no problem. Good luck on your decision.
  • lovelylola
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Lola.
    I am currently taking 4 treatments of cytoxin and taxotere. I have already taken 2 treatments and will take my 3rd tomorrow. I have not had the first problem with neuropathy at this stage. I know the effects are cumulative but so far so good. I did lose my hair around day 14 but that's also not the end of the world, it will grow back. I have probably had the "worst" side effects, if you want to call them that, from the Neulasta shot. I do get bone pain in my back and legs starting on day 3-4 after the shot. This is controlled for me by simply taking Tylenol. Good luck on your decision, I know it's a personal one, but wanted you to know my experience so far with these 2 drugs. As far as my working, I take my treatments on Thursday and take off Thursday and Friday from work. Then, I have been working 40 hours with no problem. Good luck on your decision.

Thank
    you for your input. The neuropathy is something I have the most worries about. I know each of us is different in our reactions. I'm hoping to get enough input to make a good choice for myself. Your work plan is what I am going to try for. You said you still got in 40 hours. Did you work on Sat and Sunday? I had planned on having the chemo on Friday and then going back to work on Monday. My biggest challenge will be that I work in a school as a counselor so I see alot of kids. Keeping away from their germs will be a constant battle. Lola
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Thank
    you for your input. The neuropathy is something I have the most worries about. I know each of us is different in our reactions. I'm hoping to get enough input to make a good choice for myself. Your work plan is what I am going to try for. You said you still got in 40 hours. Did you work on Sat and Sunday? I had planned on having the chemo on Friday and then going back to work on Monday. My biggest challenge will be that I work in a school as a counselor so I see alot of kids. Keeping away from their germs will be a constant battle. Lola

To answer your question, no,
    To answer your question, no, I did not work on the weekend. I work in an office that is Monday through Friday, 8:00 - 5:00. It was actually the coordinator that was assigned to me by the hospital that I had my surgery in that shared her experience with chemo. She told me that she took her chemo on Thursday and then took Friday off and had the weekend also to recuperate. She actually worked in the Operating Room at the time. It has worked out for me too, following this schedule.
  • Bev1969
    Bev1969 Member Posts: 48
    I've had five treatments of
    I've had five treatments of taxotere and cytoxin and will have one more in two weeks. I know it is different for everyone but so far the side effects really haven't been bad. I've had a little tingling in my toes once in awhile but nothing that prevents me from doing anything. I have chemo on Monday and usually around Friday/Saturday I'm a little tired for a couple days and I tend to get diahrrea but Immodium usually controls it. I take Emend for three days when I have the chemo and so far I haven't had any nausea. It really hasn't been bad for me. Good luck with which ever one you choose!
  • lovelylola
    Bev1969 said:

I've had five treatments of
    I've had five treatments of taxotere and cytoxin and will have one more in two weeks. I know it is different for everyone but so far the side effects really haven't been bad. I've had a little tingling in my toes once in awhile but nothing that prevents me from doing anything. I have chemo on Monday and usually around Friday/Saturday I'm a little tired for a couple days and I tend to get diahrrea but Immodium usually controls it. I take Emend for three days when I have the chemo and so far I haven't had any nausea. It really hasn't been bad for me. Good luck with which ever one you choose!

Bev - thanks for the info.
    Bev - thanks for the info. Although everyone is different in their reaction, it is appearing at this time that the SE of neuropathy may be a more cumulative effect. It would be my hope that since I'm only looking at 4 TXs, it may not be as strong of SE. Any input from the rest of the sisterhood would be greatly appreciated as I make the decision between the 2 "cocktails". Lola