Had My First chemo

chelle0617
chelle0617 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well I had my port put in on Wednesday,MUGA test,Petscan and then a chemo class on Friday. Layed in my husbands arms Sunday night and cried like a baby scared to death of chemo on Monday. My Mom, Husband, and Aunt went with me to chemo. Of course I cried like a baby once the nurse started talking to me. I felt ok and I am glad I got the port put in. About 2 hours after I started feeling achy and dizzy and tired. Of course I had also quit smoking Sunday night after smoking since I was 20 so that would be 19 years of smoking. I am happy to say it is now Tuesday night and I am still smoke free. I am still very achy and tired. Have not had any nausea or vomiting, which I am very happy about. Went in today and got a Neulasta shot which is suppose to help with white blood cells. She also told me to take Claritan because it helps with the aches in your bones from the shot. Was anyone else told this? Let me know. Took a hot bath to help with the aches. It did a little. Well I am going to get off here and sit in my chair for awhile and watch some tv.

Hugs,
Michelle

Comments

• Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Congrats
    Congratulations on quitting smoking..I did the same thing. Smoke free for a month. A little advice girlfriend....make sure you gargle with baking soda and water several times a day to avoid mouth sores, drink LOTS of water all day everyday. This will help flush your system and help with constipation. Good luck..it only gets better from here girl. You are one step closer to being cancer free!! Stay positive:)
    Sam
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Hey Michelle
    I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough first Chemo experience. That was the first hurdle though! Now, you know what to expect. And you are one step closer! Just had my port put in yesterday. I was suppose to call the Oncologist & let him know, just need a few days break! I know it sounds crazy, but I am looking forward to it! So glad to hear you quit smoking! Way to go! I'm still trying!(28years here)Try to keep a positive attitude and as Sam would say...take it "One Day At A Time!" Take care & keep us posted.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Michelle
    You know, I never had any aches and pains from the neulasta until I started taxol and I actually think it was the taxol that bothered me. My oncologist had me take allegra which is an antihistamine like claritin and it helped a ton!! I was taking 800mg of ibuprofen 2 times per day which is all I could handle because of my stomach and it actually only worked for about 7 hours. I still ached all over until I started the allegra...go figure!!!

PLEASE...try to exercise as much as you can...walk, ride an exercise bike or do some yoga. It makes a huge difference in the fatigue really!!

Hang in there

LInda T
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Cat64 said:

Hey Michelle
    I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough first Chemo experience. That was the first hurdle though! Now, you know what to expect. And you are one step closer! Just had my port put in yesterday. I was suppose to call the Oncologist & let him know, just need a few days break! I know it sounds crazy, but I am looking forward to it! So glad to hear you quit smoking! Way to go! I'm still trying!(28years here)Try to keep a positive attitude and as Sam would say...take it "One Day At A Time!" Take care & keep us posted.
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Didn't smoke for 12 years .. started up several years ago
    Damn it .. one of the hardest things to do is --QUIT smoking. The stress of breast cancer, consist doctor visits along with information over load = at times is too much for any 1 person to handle. But I am trying to stay sane and not smoke .. some days are easier for me.

Ladies .. just finished my first cycle of chemo .. 5 more to go and if I calculated correctly I should be finished with chemo .. first week of January 2010. Right before my birthday. I am hoping to have my bi-lateral mac'tmy first part of Feb. so I have planned a trip to Las Vegas with girlfriends and sister to celebrate the end of Chemo treatments. If I can swing it .. My husband and I will also be getting away for a few days before my surgery.

Side efforts of chemo sucks - big time:-)))) I fight thru each round of chemo like Xena the warrior princess .. I try not to give into fear .. My husband who has taken to all 3 chemo appt'mts stated earlier this evening, 'Gee, Vicki I thought you would be much sicker than you have been' .. Funny thing is I am .. but I try and put on a brave face for my family. I also cry .. but normally in the shower. I gather strength and courage everyday .. from 1 source or another. All I know is that I am fighting this beast. We are all strong individuals who handle pain, suffering and set backs differently.

Let's fight this breast cancer battle together, and plan on a victory for all!

Hoping and praying that God sends strength and courage for you all ..

VickiSam aka ... Xena
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Congratulations, Michelle!
    Congrats on finishing your first chemo and also your decision to quit smoking. It's amazing what a "monkey on your back" smoking is, isn't it. I, too, quit once I was diagnosed with bc with the thought that I wanted to give my body every fighting chance I could. I smoked for 35 years and can say I have been smoke free for 3 months now. The other amazing thing for me is that the quitting smoking has been very easy. I guess it's because of the reason I have for quitting. Good luck with your treatments and your stopping smoking. We'll get through this together.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulations, Michelle!
    Congrats on finishing your first chemo and also your decision to quit smoking. It's amazing what a "monkey on your back" smoking is, isn't it. I, too, quit once I was diagnosed with bc with the thought that I wanted to give my body every fighting chance I could. I smoked for 35 years and can say I have been smoke free for 3 months now. The other amazing thing for me is that the quitting smoking has been very easy. I guess it's because of the reason I have for quitting. Good luck with your treatments and your stopping smoking. We'll get through this together.

Michelle
    Im going thru chemo right now too. I have only one more to go now. I just wanted to tell you that you will make it and congrats on quiting the smoking. Take all the advice that everyone here has given you, especially on the mouth sores. I have that side effect and it sucks. My biggest side effect is that all i want to do is sleep, very tired all the time. Take the nausea meds that they give you, even if you dont feel nauseated to keep it at bay. You are in my prayers. Its ok to cry, let it all go and keep fighting hard.

laura