Swine Flu Vaccine

MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just read on another board that the initial swine flu vaccine in nasal dose is a "live virus". The shot, when it is available, will not be a live virus. This statement was made by a RN. My question is, do those of us that are on chemo have to avoid individuals that have received this? I remembered from years past a neighbor that was going through chemo had asked us to keep our children away from her if they had gotten any immunizations. I asked my oncologist if I needed to avoid children for this reason and she said "yes" if their immunization was a live virus. I will ask my oncologist this question on Thursday, but in the meantime wondered if anyone here knows the ansower.

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    I would say yes
    As far as I know, you probably should avoid them. But, your oncologist will be able to tell you for sure. I am going to get the "regular" flu shot, but, my oncologist does NOT want me to take the H1N1 flu shot. Good luck to you on Friday!

Angie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    YES! Stay away
    Had this very discussion yesterday, with my radiation oncologist.........I am finished my chemo, by 5 weeks, and now having radiation.......My immune system is pretty much back to normal......BUT........I was told I couldn't have either flu shot during chemo, and kids receiving the nasal form of EITHER flu vaccine,(as the nasal form is a live virus for both) that it is possible to catch it from them, and to stay away! He even advised me, even now after 5 weeks out from chemo to stay away from them, for 48 hours after they receive it....AND no one pregnant should be around them........as if that applies to me.........haha!

I am very much on the fence about the swine flu or H1NI vaccine.......I took it in 1976.... swine flu was going around then.......I had just had gallbladder surgery, (I was 25) due the math.....and my surgeon was adamant about me taking it.....but now I am not so sure I will take it.......I heard yesterday that the drug companies that have developed it have been allowed to sign off on any sort of liability......I think this vaccine has been "rushed" through, much to quickly for my liking......I am also going to talk to my primary care physician and get his take on it......Also I have heard that it is thought that those over 50 may have some immunity against it already, due to it being around, again, in 1976......so as with every thing, it's a personal decision.......
    Nancy
  • MyTurnNow
    MAJW said:

YES! Stay away
    Had this very discussion yesterday, with my radiation oncologist.........I am finished my chemo, by 5 weeks, and now having radiation.......My immune system is pretty much back to normal......BUT........I was told I couldn't have either flu shot during chemo, and kids receiving the nasal form of EITHER flu vaccine,(as the nasal form is a live virus for both) that it is possible to catch it from them, and to stay away! He even advised me, even now after 5 weeks out from chemo to stay away from them, for 48 hours after they receive it....AND no one pregnant should be around them........as if that applies to me.........haha!

I am very much on the fence about the swine flu or H1NI vaccine.......I took it in 1976.... swine flu was going around then.......I had just had gallbladder surgery, (I was 25) due the math.....and my surgeon was adamant about me taking it.....but now I am not so sure I will take it.......I heard yesterday that the drug companies that have developed it have been allowed to sign off on any sort of liability......I think this vaccine has been "rushed" through, much to quickly for my liking......I am also going to talk to my primary care physician and get his take on it......Also I have heard that it is thought that those over 50 may have some immunity against it already, due to it being around, again, in 1976......so as with every thing, it's a personal decision.......
    Nancy

Thanks, Nancy.
    I appreciate your feedback. What I don't understand is if the nasal form can have implications for individuals with compromised immune systems (chemo patients) AND pregnant ladies, why administer it in this form? It's not like anyone would know who has or hasn't taken the vaccine; it's not like they wear a sign. Oh well, I'll just stay holed up in my house for the duration. Thanks, again!
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Thanks, Nancy.
    I appreciate your feedback. What I don't understand is if the nasal form can have implications for individuals with compromised immune systems (chemo patients) AND pregnant ladies, why administer it in this form? It's not like anyone would know who has or hasn't taken the vaccine; it's not like they wear a sign. Oh well, I'll just stay holed up in my house for the duration. Thanks, again!

Are they only doing nasal
    Are they only doing nasal form of the H1N1. My 11 yr old grandson is signed up to receive it at his school.
  • MyTurnNow
    lanie940 said:

Are they only doing nasal
    Are they only doing nasal form of the H1N1. My 11 yr old grandson is signed up to receive it at his school.

As far as I know, right now
    As far as I know, right now in Florida, the only thing available is nasal. The "shot" will not be available until sometime in October. I'm not sure about the rest of the country.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

As far as I know, right now
    As far as I know, right now in Florida, the only thing available is nasal. The "shot" will not be available until sometime in October. I'm not sure about the rest of the country.

then I'm guessing my
    then I'm guessing my grandson will get the shot since they said sometime in October the Health Dept will come to the school.
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Both my surgeon and
    Oncologist said I could have the regular flu shot but didn't recommend me getting the H1N1. But I hadn't heard about the difference with the nasal. I am hoping to be able to work through some of my chemo but my initial tx looks like it will be right around the time they are doing the flu shots at the school where I work as a counselor. I won't know which kids or which classes (since I do observations in classrooms) will have had the nasal. Fun oh fun! just another thing to have to consider. Maybe I'll just work with a face mask for a month!!
  • chelle0617
    chelle0617 Member Posts: 6
    You are not suppose to be
    You are not suppose to be around people that have a flu shot with live virus in it. Only dead virus is ok. I just got first round of chemo. I was told by my oncologist to get the flu shot and for all of my family to get the flu shot before chemo. But to make sure it was the dead virus not live. Hope this helps.
    chelle
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

You are not suppose to be
    You are not suppose to be around people that have a flu shot with live virus in it. Only dead virus is ok. I just got first round of chemo. I was told by my oncologist to get the flu shot and for all of my family to get the flu shot before chemo. But to make sure it was the dead virus not live. Hope this helps.
    chelle

No live virus for Chemo patients
    Hi everyone,
    Chelle is absolutely correct. During Chemo treatment immune system is compromised, you should avoid any potential infection, crowded places, and live viruses.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646

Both my surgeon and
    Oncologist said I could have the regular flu shot but didn't recommend me getting the H1N1. But I hadn't heard about the difference with the nasal. I am hoping to be able to work through some of my chemo but my initial tx looks like it will be right around the time they are doing the flu shots at the school where I work as a counselor. I won't know which kids or which classes (since I do observations in classrooms) will have had the nasal. Fun oh fun! just another thing to have to consider. Maybe I'll just work with a face mask for a month!!

i work at a high school when
    i work at a high school when i was taking chemo good luck to you