NEW TODAY ALSO

jolenew
jolenew Member Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I JUST BECAME A MEMBER AND I AM STAGE 4 BEAST CANCER, HAVE HAD 2 SURGERIES, CHEMO, HERCEPTIN AND NOW TROUBLE WITH MY HEART. ANY ADVICE?

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Hi, I was diagnosed stage 4
    Hi, I was diagnosed stage 4 breast cancer last July. I also had chemo and herceptin, a masectomy and I am currently on Zometa for bone mets. I have not had any trouble with my heart, although I do know that may be a side effect of herceptin. Where did you cancer spread? Have you spoken to your ocologist about this?
  • jolenew
    jolenew Member Posts: 38
    meena1 said:

Hi, I was diagnosed stage 4
    Hi, I was diagnosed stage 4 breast cancer last July. I also had chemo and herceptin, a masectomy and I am currently on Zometa for bone mets. I have not had any trouble with my heart, although I do know that may be a side effect of herceptin. Where did you cancer spread? Have you spoken to your ocologist about this?

MEENA1
    MY CANCER SPREAD TO THE LYMPH NODES THEY REMOVED 12 AND 3 WERE CANCER, AND IT SPREAD TO THE INTERNAL MAMORY CHAIN. MY DR SENT ME TO A CARDIOLOGIST AND NOW EVERY THREE MONTHS THEY ARE TESTING MY HEART
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi Jole
    Welcome to the Board! I am only in the beginning of my treatment so I cannot offer much info, but you have indeed come to the right place! I would also guess it may be the Herceptin as that is one of the side effects, but ALWAYS check with your Oncologist! I will be given Herceptin in a week or so & I have found it helpful to read up on the different meds I will be given just so I know what to expect. You can go to Herceptin.com for more info as well.
    Take Care
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    certain chemo drugs
    also certain chemo drugs cause heart problems... I did adromycin and cytoxin and had to have a muga scan before starting the drugs...

I don't take herceptin...

Good luck to you... you came to the right place.. many woman here who can help you...
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    e_hope said:

certain chemo drugs
    also certain chemo drugs cause heart problems... I did adromycin and cytoxin and had to have a muga scan before starting the drugs...

I don't take herceptin...

Good luck to you... you came to the right place.. many woman here who can help you...

muga scan
    tell me a little about it. I'm in the process of deciding between the A/C cocktail and the T/C cocktail. I know about the heart issue with A/C. I had a good heart strength test done in Feb. What is the muga scan because I'm leaning in the direction (at this time) for the A/C. Lola
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

muga scan
    tell me a little about it. I'm in the process of deciding between the A/C cocktail and the T/C cocktail. I know about the heart issue with A/C. I had a good heart strength test done in Feb. What is the muga scan because I'm leaning in the direction (at this time) for the A/C. Lola

MUGA
    First, Jolenew welcome! These dear sisters in pink will help to support and guide through this difficult journey. In the process you will find strengths you didn't know you had.

Lovelylola, MUGA scan tests heart strength and function, and helps to determine what course of treatment will be the best for you overall.
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279

MUGA
    First, Jolenew welcome! These dear sisters in pink will help to support and guide through this difficult journey. In the process you will find strengths you didn't know you had.

Lovelylola, MUGA scan tests heart strength and function, and helps to determine what course of treatment will be the best for you overall.

Thanks for the info. It's
    Thanks for the info. It's amazing how much I have learned from everyone. Even my oncologist was impressed with the questions I was asking him. I just told him that I had good friends with great knowledge of BC. I'll check this out with him. Lola
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192

muga scan

Lola
    Just had one done Thursday. From what I understand, it is to see if my heart is able to handle the Herceptin and also to see where it is now compared to future treatments. They will also test me again further into treatment. This was strange, but they draw blood, put some sort of dye into it, then inject it back into you. You lay on a table for about 30 minutes, while trying to keep still and they monitor your ventricles & walls.(?) I'm not too educated on Anatomy!Just going by what the tech said. I googled it & briefly read about it b/4 I had it done. One of the easier tests I'd have to say!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I just wanted to WELCOME you
    I just wanted to WELCOME you to the board. This is a great site full of wonderful, caring, knowledgeable and loving women. Ask away and someone will have experienced your question and provide an answer. If not, you'll receive plently of love and support.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    MyTurnNow said:

I just wanted to WELCOME you to the board. This is a great site full of wonderful, caring, knowledgeable and loving women. Ask away and someone will have experienced your question and provide an answer. If not, you'll receive plently of love and support.

MUGA
    My MUGA test was not painful or stressful. In fact, it took longer because I dozed off. That changed my heart rate, so she had to do that portion of the test over. They want you to be still, but not sleeping.
  • Hardenwood
    Hardenwood Member Posts: 3
    MyTurnNow said:

I just joined last week and
    I just joined last week and I have to agree with you that this is a WONDERFUL site. I have gotten so much info just reading the different discussions. I was diagnosed with cancer 17 years ago in my left breast and now it’s back in the left breast again, 3rd stage. I will have to have chemo first than a mastectomy after the tumor has shrunk.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763

I just joined last week and
    I just joined last week and I have to agree with you that this is a WONDERFUL site. I have gotten so much info just reading the different discussions. I was diagnosed with cancer 17 years ago in my left breast and now it’s back in the left breast again, 3rd stage. I will have to have chemo first than a mastectomy after the tumor has shrunk.

Welcome to Jolenew and Hardenwood
    I also want to welcome you to the board. You will find here a bunch of wonderful, caring, and amazing women (and Aortis)who will stand by you and help in any way we can.
    Pat
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Welcome to both jolenew & Hardenwood
    Glad to have you, though sorry for the reasons. We're all here to support and encourage each other - an amazing group of survivors, one and all.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to. The site/board is always open - 24/7, each and every day.