Surgery THEN chemo?

Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hola! Ok I have/had a fibroid that went amuck. It was dx 18mo or so. They (radiologist) said " fibroid" back off the caffiene. I did not question anyone (My stupid). My tumor grew from approx. 2.0 x 1.5cm to 5.0 x 3.5cm in 2mos. Needless to say I wanted it off my chest. It was in the 1200 position, high up. It's like I could watch it grow. I've read you guys posts and it seems most if not all have " shrunk" ur tumors down. Did I do it wrong? I had my tumor removed and port placement done all at the same time. Chemo started almost the next day. Dx: Her2 pos., common ductal w 18 out of 20 lymphs ( stage 3? ) Drugs: AC/Cytoxan x4 doses. Now Taxol/Herceptin.
Second question, How often do we get checked for cancer mets, blood work for ca cells? My friends mom had ovarian ca and the would do an C125. Is this just for ovarian ca. All I get is reg lab. Any help appriciated. Thanks for being there.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I had a lumpectomy, then
    I had a lumpectomy, then chemo, then rads. For the first year or 2, I had labs drawn every 3 months~ now I go twice a year. I have a mammo now every year ( just like a "normal" person!)
    My surgeon also released me after 5 years, following at bi-lateral MRI just to be sure that in 5 years it hadn't re-appeared anywhere. It hadn't, so I am not officially her pt anymore, either!
    When I have blood drawn every 6 months, I see my oncologist for the results. He lets me know if my liver function is good, sugar, white counts, red counts, cholesterol, the proverbial whole nine yards! I imagine your Dr is on the lookout for anything "unusual" when you go to see him, as well. There are indeed "tumor markers", but evidently, for some reason, unlike the C125 for ovarian, tumor markers don't seem to mean much one way or the other as far as BC is concerned!

I have had scheduled bone density as the Arimidex I was on for 5 yrs leaches calcium from the bones...thankfully there was no evidence of osteporosos.

I go in for regular pap and pelvics, and keep my Drs apprised if anything is worrying or bothering me. I was diagnosed in 2003...so far so good!

I suggest you ask your Dr if you want more clarification as to why some tests are done or not done!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Katz77
    chenheart said:

I had a lumpectomy, then
    I had a lumpectomy, then chemo, then rads. For the first year or 2, I had labs drawn every 3 months~ now I go twice a year. I have a mammo now every year ( just like a "normal" person!)
    My surgeon also released me after 5 years, following at bi-lateral MRI just to be sure that in 5 years it hadn't re-appeared anywhere. It hadn't, so I am not officially her pt anymore, either!
    When I have blood drawn every 6 months, I see my oncologist for the results. He lets me know if my liver function is good, sugar, white counts, red counts, cholesterol, the proverbial whole nine yards! I imagine your Dr is on the lookout for anything "unusual" when you go to see him, as well. There are indeed "tumor markers", but evidently, for some reason, unlike the C125 for ovarian, tumor markers don't seem to mean much one way or the other as far as BC is concerned!

I have had scheduled bone density as the Arimidex I was on for 5 yrs leaches calcium from the bones...thankfully there was no evidence of osteporosos.

I go in for regular pap and pelvics, and keep my Drs apprised if anything is worrying or bothering me. I was diagnosed in 2003...so far so good!

I suggest you ask your Dr if you want more clarification as to why some tests are done or not done!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thank you. I very happy ur
    Thank you. I very happy ur nor her "patient" anymore. Continued good health to you.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Hello Katz77
    While I can't say what your doctor's reasoning was, I can tell you my own experience. When the biopsies came back positive for the lump and for some nodes, I had surgery. The lump was removed along with 32 nodes & 29 were positive. Then I was prepared to receive chemo. However, before the oncologist would start the chemo, he wanted to know if the cancer had spread, because that would change the treatment. As it turned out, while the ct scan was clear, the bone scan showed mets to my spine, left upper arm and skull. MRI of the skull showed no evidence of tumor in the brain though (really good news!).
    Now, here's the thing with me: The doctor did not start chemo because of the large lesion on my arm, that he was concerned might need surgery, and chemo would interfere with the healing process. So he started me on Femara instead, and monthly IV treatments of Zometa.

But am I reading you right, that your doctor didn't have you tested for mets before starting chemo? With 18 out of 20 nodes being positive, (this is my opinion), it seems as if he would want to know if the cancer is anyplace else in your body before beginning treatment. While they can learn a lot from the blood work, it does not tell them everything. The doctor says my tumor markers are very low...even "normal", yet because of the mets, I am now classified as stage IV, and the treatment is different as a result.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Katz11, you didn't do
    Katz11, you didn't do anything wrong. There is no single "right way" to handle a cancer diagnosis. There are many variables. Based on the type of cancer and other factors, some oncs will recommend chemo first. That approach is gaining in popularity. But, it is by no means standard. The standard remains surgery followed by chemo and/or rads if needed.

My surgeon did bring up the option, half-heartedly, of my having chemo first. The cancer I had was growing fast, and I wanted it out asap. So I immediately nixed the idea of chemo first. My surgeon agreed with me.

As for follow-ups, I see my onc every 3 months, like Claudia.
  • Katz77

Hello Katz77
    While I can't say what your doctor's reasoning was, I can tell you my own experience. When the biopsies came back positive for the lump and for some nodes, I had surgery. The lump was removed along with 32 nodes & 29 were positive. Then I was prepared to receive chemo. However, before the oncologist would start the chemo, he wanted to know if the cancer had spread, because that would change the treatment. As it turned out, while the ct scan was clear, the bone scan showed mets to my spine, left upper arm and skull. MRI of the skull showed no evidence of tumor in the brain though (really good news!).
    Now, here's the thing with me: The doctor did not start chemo because of the large lesion on my arm, that he was concerned might need surgery, and chemo would interfere with the healing process. So he started me on Femara instead, and monthly IV treatments of Zometa.

But am I reading you right, that your doctor didn't have you tested for mets before starting chemo? With 18 out of 20 nodes being positive, (this is my opinion), it seems as if he would want to know if the cancer is anyplace else in your body before beginning treatment. While they can learn a lot from the blood work, it does not tell them everything. The doctor says my tumor markers are very low...even "normal", yet because of the mets, I am now classified as stage IV, and the treatment is different as a result.

Let's see. I had body scan,
    Let's see. I had body scan, MRI head, then one dosing of chemo, then bone scan. luckly all were neg. although my left shoulder showed " glowing". I had a radition " spill" into my subcutaneous tissue. I assumed it was glowing because of that. Think I will have my onc follow up on that. good luck w ur txs. Smiles Katz
  • Katz77
    Moopy23 said:

Katz11, you didn't do
    Katz11, you didn't do anything wrong. There is no single "right way" to handle a cancer diagnosis. There are many variables. Based on the type of cancer and other factors, some oncs will recommend chemo first. That approach is gaining in popularity. But, it is by no means standard. The standard remains surgery followed by chemo and/or rads if needed.

My surgeon did bring up the option, half-heartedly, of my having chemo first. The cancer I had was growing fast, and I wanted it out asap. So I immediately nixed the idea of chemo first. My surgeon agreed with me.

thank you
    My surgeon was in agreement with me. Let's get it out. Saw him Fri. He was a second opion)Had surg that Mon. Made my head spin. First Dr I saw , tto me was dragging her feet. Wanting to send me here for a test and there for a consult on reconstruction. I was literally watching this beast grow. Gues I'll write down a few questions for the onc man. Thank you all for ur input : )
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Katz11, you didn't do

My 2 cents
    Like Moopy I wanted mine out asap, i don't remember anyone suggesting anything else. I had a Left side mastectomy, chemo and rads now a couple more months of Herceptin..6 pos. nodes out of 26 taken.

I know each cancer is different, yet we all suffer the same, I can only advise you to do research, get a second opinion if need be, but mostly just follow your own instincts and ask lots of questions.

my best to you jackie
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Hi Katz... I had a double
    Hi Katz... I had a double mastectomy, 8 nodes removed 2 positive, before I even met with my oncologist. Then before my first consult with the oncologist, he ordered a pet scan. I then did my chemo 4 treatments of AC and 4treatments of taxotere.. followed by radiation 30 rounds ( currently in radiation now).. and in Dec he will do a follow-up pet scan.. and in Feb a follow-up breast MRI is ordered.

I would get a second opinion, it does hurt.. I did that, I'm stage 2b I went to hear what both doctors had to say, and to get a feel for which office I liked better. plus it gave me piece of mind to know both had similar treatment plans for me.. If I was stage 3b.. i would def. talk with other oncologist... and would demand a pet scan...

wishing you the best
  • Katz77
    e_hope said:

Hi Katz... I had a double
    Hi Katz... I had a double mastectomy, 8 nodes removed 2 positive, before I even met with my oncologist. Then before my first consult with the oncologist, he ordered a pet scan. I then did my chemo 4 treatments of AC and 4treatments of taxotere.. followed by radiation 30 rounds ( currently in radiation now).. and in Dec he will do a follow-up pet scan.. and in Feb a follow-up breast MRI is ordered.

I would get a second opinion, it does hurt.. I did that, I'm stage 2b I went to hear what both doctors had to say, and to get a feel for which office I liked better. plus it gave me piece of mind to know both had similar treatment plans for me.. If I was stage 3b.. i would def. talk with other oncologist... and would demand a pet scan...

wishing you the best

To late
    I had a mast 6-23-09. 28/30 nodes pos. They were not tumors, just cancer cells. Was told this was good? I work in surgery and was confused about the " good" remark, but that came from my future rad man. I have stage 3, it grew in 2 mos time from a small fibroid to an 5.3 cm x 2.5cm. Guess I have a fast metabolism! lol I get scared sometimes but this site has been a godsend for me. I;m not a real " group" joiner, but I'm becoming one now. Taking Herceptin/Toxal now. @ more of those and off to rads. Guess my Christmas plans have been made for me. LOL thank you for ur support. Katz
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator