chemo induced menopause...

e_hope
e_hope Member Posts: 370
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else had to face this...

I am 36 and currently have chemo induced menopause has any other women out there dealt with this. No one knows if it will be permanent or not. One doctor told me most likely and another said because of my age it shouldn't be.

The hot flashes are the worst one minute I am sweating buckets the next freezing cold. My mood is terrible, I mean what a slap in the face. The toll of this disease is hard enough to manage mentally and now add this. Half the time I don't know mentally if I am coming or going. My husband, who's not very understanding, just doesn't understand and gets pissed off because my mood is all over the map. I just wonder how much of this is related to the new hormone changes in my body or the coming to terms with this disease...

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    You are describing me to a 'T'. What chemo med's are
    you on ??

I'm on TCH ...

VickiSAm
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    My Dr said it is permanent.
    My Dr said it is permanent. He didn't even say it "might" happen, he said it will, and it did. I understand what you mean, freezing one minute and burning up sweating the next. I have never in my life been so hot and I live in Phoenix! Its something that you can not explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. The emotional rollercoaster is not a fun ride. My husand was warned by the doctor that I would be very "grumpy". It was definitely a shock to suddenly experience this.
  • ElizabethK
    ElizabethK Member Posts: 10
    early menopause
    I am 45 and started treatment when I was 43. Within a month of my first chemo, my cycles stopped completely. I take tamoxifen to kill the estrogen in my body. My doctor told me my period would never come back. The hot flashes and chills have gotten better and I have been lucky with the mood swings. I think as your body adjusts, your moods will improve. Give your husband as much information as possible so he will understand what you are dealing with.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    I had chemo induced menopause
    as well and am officially in permanent menopause now. My last menstrual period was in November of 07 while I was going through chemo-I had it for one day...
    I think I have heard of some continuing with their cycles (after chemo induced menop)after treatments are over. I would ask your onc about it as it is a question you should ask him and I'm not entirely sure about my info.
    Yes,hot flashes and mood swings aren't fun-that's for sure-but mine has gotten better over time.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    OMG....they expect us to cope?
    I am going through the same thing, only from the Tamoxifen. On Oct 6th, they will remove my ovaries and my menopause will become permanant. I hope it will not get any worse than what I am already going through. I'm hoping the Tamoxifen is mimicking what it would be like without the ovaries!
    I am lucky and have a very, very wonderful husband. I was concerned that I was not feeling ANY side effects and was looking into the enzyme test to see if I was in fact matabolizing the drug, when my dear hubby informed me a few days later "honey, you do not need the test, I can asure you it is working!"
    Apparently I had been taking a sweater on and off every 1/2 hour with out realizing it. I invited "cybil" to come stay for a while without my knowledge. I would empty the dishwasher and the flood gates would open up for no other reason than I needed a step stool to put the dishes away (and hubby informed me "tear" water was not recomended to clean dishes with!). I never, ever sleep, witch is bad, because I require 8-10 hours normally to recharge and repair. My skin is visably thinning? Thats what it looks like. And the worst part has been the weight gain for me that I am the most upset about, because it is adding to my feelings of not looking good which is my biggest self esteem braker. Last, I just plain feel "yucky" on this drug. Sigh......
    I think part of it is the hormonal changes in our bodies and part is mental from this whole experience. Some of these symptoms I already had from the beginning of diagnosis in much more milder forms. The hormonal change is intensifying them and pushing me to the edge. I definitely do not feel like "me". I just feel like I am struggling to get that "me" personality back. I really, really liked who I was before the "mood altering" drugs (as I have come to refer to them). My PCP spent 45 minutes trying desperately to find me a mood stabalizer and would not recommend any while taking the Tamoxifen. He felt bad because he knows how much this is bothering me.
    So to answer your question (after my long tangent)....both!
    Pammy
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Akiss4me said:

I am going through the same thing, only from the Tamoxifen. On Oct 6th, they will remove my ovaries and my menopause will become permanant. I hope it will not get any worse than what I am already going through. I'm hoping the Tamoxifen is mimicking what it would be like without the ovaries!
    I am lucky and have a very, very wonderful husband. I was concerned that I was not feeling ANY side effects and was looking into the enzyme test to see if I was in fact matabolizing the drug, when my dear hubby informed me a few days later "honey, you do not need the test, I can asure you it is working!"
    Apparently I had been taking a sweater on and off every 1/2 hour with out realizing it. I invited "cybil" to come stay for a while without my knowledge. I would empty the dishwasher and the flood gates would open up for no other reason than I needed a step stool to put the dishes away (and hubby informed me "tear" water was not recomended to clean dishes with!). I never, ever sleep, witch is bad, because I require 8-10 hours normally to recharge and repair. My skin is visably thinning? Thats what it looks like. And the worst part has been the weight gain for me that I am the most upset about, because it is adding to my feelings of not looking good which is my biggest self esteem braker. Last, I just plain feel "yucky" on this drug. Sigh......
    I think part of it is the hormonal changes in our bodies and part is mental from this whole experience. Some of these symptoms I already had from the beginning of diagnosis in much more milder forms. The hormonal change is intensifying them and pushing me to the edge. I definitely do not feel like "me". I just feel like I am struggling to get that "me" personality back. I really, really liked who I was before the "mood altering" drugs (as I have come to refer to them). My PCP spent 45 minutes trying desperately to find me a mood stabalizer and would not recommend any while taking the Tamoxifen. He felt bad because he knows how much this is bothering me.
    Pammy

im 36
    as well and since chemo i have had night sweats like you wouldnt believe. I have to get up in the middle of the night and change my clothes because they are soaked. I also freeze at times and walk around in sweatshirt and sweatpants and a hat. I have been very emotional too. And i havent started tamoxifen yet. My periods have not been regular at all either. Ive only had one in four months. Im glad im not alone in all this.

laura
  • e_hope
    i was taking Adromycin and
    i was taking Adromycin and cytoxin 4 treatments and 4 treatments of taxotere.. I don't need tam. because my tumor is a triple neg. So I am done with treatment after rad.

As for hubby you can't educate someone who has no interest in learning what's going on with me. I do wish my oncologist would've explained to him some of this as some of yours did.

well at least its nice to know i'm not alone
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    e_hope said:

i was taking Adromycin and
    i was taking Adromycin and cytoxin 4 treatments and 4 treatments of taxotere.. I don't need tam. because my tumor is a triple neg. So I am done with treatment after rad.

As for hubby you can't educate someone who has no interest in learning what's going on with me. I do wish my oncologist would've explained to him some of this as some of yours did.

well at least its nice to know i'm not alone

The worst side effect
    From my experience the induced or I call it forced menopause it the worst of all what we are getting from cancer. I have had very similar side effects. Unfortunately, you can remove tumor, kill cell, but especially for hormone positive cancers, there is no relief from early menopause. Hopefully, the body will adapt and it will be easy. Instead of gradual decline in estrogen in normal life over the years it takes just one chemo treatment –one day …
    I am not exception; my regular periods stopped after my first Chemo at the age 47 and never came back. Being on Tamoxifen I am still very tired even six months after completion Chemo (6 cycles) and Radiation and do not have the same level of energy as before the treatment.
    Sex life has been a challenge. My God, I have a very understanding husband, but it is not easy
    I wish everyone body to adjust and everyone will get hormones back. At 36 should be better outcome for you.
  • New Flower
    Akiss4me said:

Pammy

Effexor
    Hi Pammy,
    I am with you and agree it is awful. I am far away from who I used to be as well. Psychiatrist sad that Effexor is the only one compatible with Tamoxifen. You might want to ask. The dose should increase gradually, because it has side effects, including nausea. My PCP suggested supplement SAMe.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I was 52 when diagnosed but
    I was 52 when diagnosed but not in menopause yet. So the chemo pushed me in. We didn't realize it at first and when I had problems the onc had to do a blood test to determine it. I can't remember anyone telling me this could happen. They were centered on getting rid of the cancer and keeping me alive. I was having terrible hot flashes all the time but it was because of the medication after treatment. I have not noticed any side effects from menopause but maybe because I'm older? I am off medication now but still have hot flashes but much fewer.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Going through the Change...
    Oh my gosh! So much to contend with. I have not started chemo, but it's just around the corner for me. I was also told by my oncologist that chemo might induce for menopause.

How does one even begin to prepare for such life changing event? I have a hubby and a nine year old daughter. I know this journey is going to be difficult. I hope and pray it doesn't take too much of a toll on my family.

I hope things get better for you. Maybe your hubby can go with you on your next visit to the oncologist. It might be easier for him to understand if a 3rd party explained it to him.

Best of luck to you!

Bella Luna
  • New Flower

Going through the Change...
    Oh my gosh! So much to contend with. I have not started chemo, but it's just around the corner for me. I was also told by my oncologist that chemo might induce for menopause.

How does one even begin to prepare for such life changing event? I have a hubby and a nine year old daughter. I know this journey is going to be difficult. I hope and pray it doesn't take too much of a toll on my family.

I hope things get better for you. Maybe your hubby can go with you on your next visit to the oncologist. It might be easier for him to understand if a 3rd party explained it to him.

Best of luck to you!

Bella Luna

Education for your partner
    I think it is a good idea to go with your husband to your oncologist and discuss your symptoms.
    Physiologist or family counseling or support group for partners will be helpful. Battling cancer requires commitment and understanding from to family members as well.
    Please seek help, it is impossible to deal with your situation by yourself.
  • e_hope

Education for your partner
    I think it is a good idea to go with your husband to your oncologist and discuss your symptoms.
    Physiologist or family counseling or support group for partners will be helpful. Battling cancer requires commitment and understanding from to family members as well.
    Please seek help, it is impossible to deal with your situation by yourself.

oh new flower... I tried the
    oh new flower... I tried the psychologist road.. that was terrible.. she was a totally quack and made me feel worse... so I'm a little leary of trying again..and My husband has gone to ALL my oncologist appts.. he just doesn't get it.. I have given him books to read and he doesn't read them.. He thinks I should be fine by now.. LOL, you know its been a whole 7 months since diagnosis and 5 months since the early menopause so I should be feeling good..
  • New Flower
    e_hope said:

oh new flower... I tried the
    oh new flower... I tried the psychologist road.. that was terrible.. she was a totally quack and made me feel worse... so I'm a little leary of trying again..and My husband has gone to ALL my oncologist appts.. he just doesn't get it.. I have given him books to read and he doesn't read them.. He thinks I should be fine by now.. LOL, you know its been a whole 7 months since diagnosis and 5 months since the early menopause so I should be feeling good..

it is tough
    Hope,
    I have not met a good phycologist as well. You are very young and your body needs more time for adjustment. Your husband probably young too. After you finishing your treatment may be your periods come back. Also remember in normally menopause takes up to 10 years. Do you want to talk?
    I can call you, I am not working.
    NEw Flower
  • Akiss4me said:

Pammy

OMG Pammy
    You have articulated EXACTLY how I have been feeling. I love this message board. I wasn't sure which was menopause, chemo side effects, emotional feelings and stress from having cancer at the age of 41. My moods are all over the map.
  • Akiss4me said:

Pammy

OMG Pammy
    You have articulated EXACTLY how I have been feeling. I love this message board. I wasn't sure which was menopause, chemo side effects, emotional feelings and stress from having cancer at the age of 41. My moods are all over the map.
  • Akiss4me said:

Pammy

OMG Pammy
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I had chemo at 42. It
    I had chemo at 42. It stopped my periods and I starting getting hot flashes. Then I started tamoxifen. Its been over 3 yrs since diagnosis. My blood work shows that I am not menopausal---my estrogen is totally premenopausal. My onc. says that tamoxifen usually makes periods irregular but in my case is stopping it and causing the flashes. He says that if I stopped the tamoxifen my period could come back but I can't stop the meds.