blockage of veins and blood clots

butterfly23
butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I wrote, but i was wondering if anyone has had this. In July my face was very swollen and I felt alot of pressure in my face and head. I ended up with a blood clot at the catheter of my port, I have been on coumadin since then and it has gone away! Just last week my face was VERY swollen again and with a ton of pressure, I went to the emergency room, they found I had complete blockage in my main vein from my neck to my groin, I had to have an angioplasty done and spent 8 days in the hospital. Has this happened to any of you! I am stage 4, colon resection, and I just found out it has spread from my lymph nodes to my lungs and now I have an area on my bone in my spine, I am having 10 radiation treatments then back to chemo! FUN FUN FUN!!!! Does anyone have it in the spinal area? How are they treating it, etc. I think of all of you everyday, you are always in my prayers!!!
Love,
Karyn
p,s, I know alot of you name your tumors, ports etc,
I have come to name my radiation machine!!
Ramone the radiator
Mike the microwave
and Ned the Nuke
of course my fav. Polly Port
You need to keep some kind of sense of humor throughout this nasty disease!!!!!!

Comments

• mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Hi Karyn, sorry I can't
    Hi Karyn, sorry I can't offer any info on that, but I hope you don't have to experience the clot situation again, must have been very scary. Hope someone is able to give some info on the topic. Hang in there girl.. Petrina
  • NBTXGIRL
    NBTXGIRL Member Posts: 31
    Blood Clots
    Hi, Karyn,

I normally do not respond, because I feel the other wonderful people on this board have so much more to offer, but since we just went thru this last week, I feel I can give some information. My father was diagnosised on June 8th with Stage IV colon cancer with mets to liver, both lungs, ribs, hip, spine and lymph nodes. Last Sunday he was laying on the couch when I noticed he did not look very comfortable, I was trying to assist him back to the bedroom to lay down when he completely collapsed. We were able to perform CPR and bring him back quickly,(he has a DNR, so if I could not bring him back by the time EMS got there I was going to let him go). I was later told that he threw a blood clot to his heart and his lungs thus throwing him into Cardiac and Respiratory arrest. After CT Scan and Ultrasounds they found that he a "huge" amount of blood clots coming from his legs. His oncologist told me the cancer and the chemo causes this to happen, even though I keep him pretty active. They inserted a "greenfield filter" or "Trap Ease" in thru his neck down in the abdomen that will break up the clots before they can move up. This was a 30 minute procedure that was done in Radiology and he said he never felt anything. As for his spine treatment, they treated his with Radiation and Chemo.

I encourage everyone on this board to take a CPR or First Aide class. I have had to utilize these skills twice since March. The life you save may be a family member.

The very best to all of you.

Kim in TX.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    NBTXGIRL said:

Blood Clots
    Hi, Karyn,

I normally do not respond, because I feel the other wonderful people on this board have so much more to offer, but since we just went thru this last week, I feel I can give some information. My father was diagnosised on June 8th with Stage IV colon cancer with mets to liver, both lungs, ribs, hip, spine and lymph nodes. Last Sunday he was laying on the couch when I noticed he did not look very comfortable, I was trying to assist him back to the bedroom to lay down when he completely collapsed. We were able to perform CPR and bring him back quickly,(he has a DNR, so if I could not bring him back by the time EMS got there I was going to let him go). I was later told that he threw a blood clot to his heart and his lungs thus throwing him into Cardiac and Respiratory arrest. After CT Scan and Ultrasounds they found that he a "huge" amount of blood clots coming from his legs. His oncologist told me the cancer and the chemo causes this to happen, even though I keep him pretty active. They inserted a "greenfield filter" or "Trap Ease" in thru his neck down in the abdomen that will break up the clots before they can move up. This was a 30 minute procedure that was done in Radiology and he said he never felt anything. As for his spine treatment, they treated his with Radiation and Chemo.

I encourage everyone on this board to take a CPR or First Aide class. I have had to utilize these skills twice since March. The life you save may be a family member.

Kim in TX.

Craig in TX
    Hi Kim

That was good information - you might be the only one to know that right now, so good for you for being able to share that with us.

Please don't feel as if you cannot contribute, post anytime. Look at the wonderful thing you have done on this post.

I love to see another Texan in my midst...HOWDY!

-Craig in TX
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    NBTXGIRL said:

Blood Clots
    Hi, Karyn,

Kim in TX.

Karyn
    Gosh i am sorry you had to go threw that With everything else to sorry no advice on the clot thing but i hope you feel better and take care thinking of you

michelle
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Blood Clots
    My husband developed a blood clot in his leg shortly after he had completed his first go round with chemo. The doctors also said that it could have been caused by either the chemo or the cancer. We caught it before it caused any real problems thanks to the advice of our parish nurse. He mentioned that his leg was bothering him and was swollen to her after church. She told him to get it checked immediately. He was put on coumaden also and given heperin shots at first. One thing you might also want to be aware of is that the chemo interacts with the coumadin sometimes, so get your blood checked regularly. His had to be monitored with the coumadin dosage being changed often. Fay
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256

Blood Clots
    My husband developed a blood clot in his leg shortly after he had completed his first go round with chemo. The doctors also said that it could have been caused by either the chemo or the cancer. We caught it before it caused any real problems thanks to the advice of our parish nurse. He mentioned that his leg was bothering him and was swollen to her after church. She told him to get it checked immediately. He was put on coumaden also and given heperin shots at first. One thing you might also want to be aware of is that the chemo interacts with the coumadin sometimes, so get your blood checked regularly. His had to be monitored with the coumadin dosage being changed often. Fay

thanks
    thanks Fay, I do have to get my blood checked twice a week. they say my blockage could have been scar tissue from the port.
    take care!
    Karyn
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator