Chemo in two days.Please share how your first treatment went.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Two days till chemo.I feal that i will be ok in the end of treatments.but i also dread it,I think the first one will be the hardest.please share your thoughts and feelings on your first treatment.how did you feel after first treatment,i know we are all different.Thank.(Pat).

Comments

• Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    First Treatment
    Hey there....I completely understand your anxieties. I just had my first treatment about 10 days ago. I was a nervous wreck. Like you stated everyone is different but I can tell you it was just fine. The first time they should take you around and show you where everything is in the treatment center, like bathrooms, pharmacies, drinks, treatment pods, etc. They will give you an idea of how it will work and introduce you to your nurse. Shortly after that, they took me to a room and gave me a presentation of how chemo works, side effects, a list of "who to call", etc...from then on you just sit there and let the meds do their magic. YOu will find that everyone is very nice, supportive and there to make you as comfortable as possible. You will probably get tired from some of the meds. That was the only thing for me, I did not get sick, sore or anything like that. You want to dress warm and comfortable also. My aunt was with me and we actually laughed, played cards and made the best of it. You can eat if you would like to. They let me bring in my cell phone and laptop. I hope this helps...good luck. I would like to hear from you to see how it went...
    Sam
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Hi Pat
    Congradulations on

Hi Pat
    Congradulations on your finaly starting your treatment. Strange thing for me to say I am sure that you are thinking. This look at it when I was in the military when it came to transfer time or getting out time there was a countdown. It got to be kind of fun esp when you were down to four days and a wake up. If you look at each treatment like that it will be much easier to handle. Esp when you get down to that last couple of treatments and your able to say two treats and a check out.
    As far as my first treatment, I felt kind of like I was in shock. During the treatment, meaning oh boy I cant beleive that I am here, doing this. It took about 6 hours after treatment that I started to feel ill, I felt kind of fluy for a few days, and intermitantly through the weeks between treatments. As long as you stay on top of your nausea meds you'll be okay.
    We are all here for you.
    tj
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    You can't go and compare my
    You can't go and compare my treatment because I had a hard time with everything it seems. Plus they have improved the medication since I had chemo in 2003/2004. Back then Emend was just coming out and I've heard that it is pretty good. The best thing you can do is go home after treatment and stay home that day to see how you do since everyone is different.
    If you are one that has no side effects, well you will have a good day at home. Taking someone with you to treatment is helpful because you will not be alone and they can drive you home.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Marcia527 said:

You can't go and compare my
    You can't go and compare my treatment because I had a hard time with everything it seems. Plus they have improved the medication since I had chemo in 2003/2004. Back then Emend was just coming out and I've heard that it is pretty good. The best thing you can do is go home after treatment and stay home that day to see how you do since everyone is different.
    If you are one that has no side effects, well you will have a good day at home. Taking someone with you to treatment is helpful because you will not be alone and they can drive you home.

Good Luck with treatment.
    Good Luck with treatment. The first one is a scary one because you don't know what to expect. Make sure your doctor has given you the drug Emend. It will take care of most side effects. Good luck again and will be thinking of you.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Kat11 said:

Good Luck with treatment.
    Good Luck with treatment. The first one is a scary one because you don't know what to expect. Make sure your doctor has given you the drug Emend. It will take care of most side effects. Good luck again and will be thinking of you.

Yes...I forgot
    Amend is the best....I have had zero nausea! I think its standard now but you might ask..its part of your premeds and you should have a scrip for it for a few days after treatment.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    My first chemo was indeed my
    My first chemo was indeed my hardest~ mega Fear Of The Unknown! It made the beast seem more real than the dx and even the surgery. I also didn't know about CSN discussion boards, so was flying by the seat of my pants.

To prepare, I put new sheets on the bed, made sure my room was clean and welcoming for me to come home to, and "just in case", I had a small, clean, Brand New plastic wastepaper can for nausea. ( I never had to use it tho!)I put New-Agey relaxation/massage therapy CD in theCD player, and filled my room with soothing sounds. I didn't have scented candles or anything, because I wasn't sure if the smell of things would make me sick.

Take water with you to treatment! Sip Sip Sip...before, during, and especially after chemo! It will help keep you hydrated, your system flushed, and it may stave off the constipation many of us have because of chemoptherapy.
    I don't know if you will be in a room with many, or alone. I was alone; each of us had private rooms, and Reggie and my daughter always went with me. We did Mad-Libs, watched TV or did nothing! I went every 3 weeks, and after the 1st time, I really did settle down. The RNs were caring and sweet....

Oh! If you have or will be getting a port ( sorry I don't recall!) make sure you ask your Dr for a prescription for EMLA cream so you can numb the port before the infusion!

And....know that chemo is KILLING THE BEAST!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Sam726 said:

Yes...I forgot
    Amend is the best....I have had zero nausea! I think its standard now but you might ask..its part of your premeds and you should have a scrip for it for a few days after treatment.

I was given nausea med thru
    I was given nausea med thru port prior to chemo to last throughout that day. Then was given 3 meds for nausea to take home. Emend was to take on days 2 and 3, also given Zofran and Compazine. Never had to take any of it except the Emend.
    Deb
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    You'll do fine!
    I am finished my chemo.....YEAH, 5 weeks ago and have started radiation. I can honestly say it wasn't nearly as bad as the horror stories I have heard of people having chemo in years past. They have come such a long way with all the anti nausea medications......I Had 4 infusions of Taxotere and Cytoxan. I NEVER EVER had the first wave of nausea....I started taking the prescribed anti nausea meds and Decadron, a steroid and anti nausea drug the day before and continued for 3 days following chemo. I was told to TAKE THEM EVEN IF YOU DON"T FEEL NAUSEATED......it's easier to PREVENT NAUSEA than to get it under control. Plus the first 15 minutes of chemo they pumped me full of anti nausea meds. For the first infusion, the nurse never left my side for the first 20 minutes to make sure I had no side effects from the Taxotere.....I was also given Benadryl to ward off a possible reaction. I had NONE.......Also I was told to eat before hand, something that would stick "to my ribs" they said......I ate half a bagel with peanut butter. They also fed me during chemo. You're less likely to get sick with something in your stomach. AND DRINK DRINK DRINK.....they couldn't stress that enough, you want to flush your system. They told me it didn't matter what I drank, either, as long as it wasn't alcohol. Are you getting the Nuelasta injection the next day after chemo? I did, after each infusion.......the first one kicked my butt 5 days later..but was managed with pain meds. The chemo WILL make you tired as you get more into it.....As it is cumulative. Try to rest as much as possible. I had chemo "revenge" after the first infusion..you might want to have some extra stregth IMMODIUM on hand......but none after the next 3. Don't let that get out of hand either, if you get it.

I agree, the first one is the scariest one.........fear of the unknown.....I had to take a class and watch a video before I was allowed to start chemo..that's the procedure here. Each one gets a bit "easier," by that I mean, you know what to expect. Don't know if you have a port, I DID NOT, due to only 4 infusions.......your veins can take a beating, but again, it is all manageable and doable.....

I wish you well and sending up prayers for you! If I can help in any way let me know.....This is a WONDERFUL site, filled with caring, women who are walking or have walked in your shoes.
    Nancy
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    you will be fine... my first
    you will be fine... my first treatment.. I think I cried through the first half of it from the shock of being there. It was very surreal. Take the meds they prescribe to you they will help and don't wait till its too bad, be proactive. I was given a script for ativan and I would take it the night before chemo to relax so I could get some sleep...

The anxiety of it all is the worst part for your first one. I didn't feel to, to bad just a little extra tired for the first few days. but the treatments do build up on you and for me got harder with each one.. I never had to bad of nausea, but extreme to the bone fatigue, pain in the joints and bones.

Wish you the best of luck... Also its usually cold in there so dress warm and wear comfy clothes.. and If you want privacy don't be afraid to ask... for me I always pulled my curtain, I just didn't want to look at other patients while I was there, and I took either hubby or a friend with me made the time pass quicker...
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    e_hope said:

you will be fine... my first
    you will be fine... my first treatment.. I think I cried through the first half of it from the shock of being there. It was very surreal. Take the meds they prescribe to you they will help and don't wait till its too bad, be proactive. I was given a script for ativan and I would take it the night before chemo to relax so I could get some sleep...

The anxiety of it all is the worst part for your first one. I didn't feel to, to bad just a little extra tired for the first few days. but the treatments do build up on you and for me got harder with each one.. I never had to bad of nausea, but extreme to the bone fatigue, pain in the joints and bones.

Wish you the best of luck... Also its usually cold in there so dress warm and wear comfy clothes.. and If you want privacy don't be afraid to ask... for me I always pulled my curtain, I just didn't want to look at other patients while I was there, and I took either hubby or a friend with me made the time pass quicker...

Pat .. take 1 day at a time .. Every posting above is true
    Anxiety will get the best of you. Try and relax, easier said than done, I know I've been there.

Bring a book, puzzle something will help time pass. Perhaps a friend or daughter. Wear comfy clothing and socks - my feet froze during my first 5 1/2 chemo. I also had a private room - which relaxed me. I fell asleep on and off during my first chemo. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and report all side efforts .. Nausea, numbiness or hot flashes.

Make sure you rest when you get back home .. and drink, drink .. drink water to flush your systems.

Good luck.

VickiSAm
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Good luck, Pat!
    Ditto on what everyone else had said. The most important thing I believe is to drink, drink, drink, You want to help your body rid itself of the toxins. You'll do just fine. Just sit back and imagine yourself back in the Bahamas enjoying yourself!
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Finding Chemo
    Like u I was scared of the unknown. Course that's the whole road we're on.I was feeling like my head might explode or I would have a severe reaction and even start vomiting right there on the spot! NOTHING happened to me. All the nurses were there to help w questions and concerns...Ask. I'm on my second round of drugs. What helped is of course fluids. After my first dose I was so dry. I live in NM so that dosen't help. Come the second dose I asked if I could get a " boost" of IV fluids. They gave me an extra dose of 500ml of normal saline and I started drinking on the gator (my fluid chose). Made a world of differance. You will find ur groove, take some books or Ipod cards or just a friend, take a deep breath and try to relax. Think to yourself this is going to make me better. I like to visualize the meds killing all the cancer cells, like mini explosions. Sounds silly uh, but that's my way. You to will find ur way. Good luck and I will be thinking of you. be strong. You know what's irionic? I work in surgery for the last 18yrs, seen alot, done alot, but even after 6 tx and 6 lab draws from my port I still can't watch : ) I watched some of my own surgies, but can't watch them stick me! lol Take care sweetie u will do this. Katz
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator