Please help, need advice on yucky topic!

Sam726
Sam726 Member Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay everyone, went to ER yesterday for what I thought was a burst ovarian cyst. I have been having cramping for days now and it seems to always be in the morning times (when I usually have bowel movements). This goes on for a few hours, and it is so uncomfortable. I thought maybe I was over it after yesterday but its back. ER couldnt tell me anything. Of course its weekend and hard to get straight answers. I have been having regular movements, but very small and was wondering if anyone thinks these pains could be from not goin #2 enough?? This is a feeling of having to use the restroom, but nothing happens. It happens everyday now, like clockwork. I took a stool softerner this morning and drank some prune juice. Thoughts anyone? I cant keep doing this, its exhausting.
Sam

Comments

• tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Sam, alot of us have had
    Sam, alot of us have had this problem. It is not uncommon to be contipated. Did your oncono perscribe you a stool softner to take while doing treatment. Remember to drink lots of fluids all through your treatment, not just the few days after it, this will help in keeping things moving. Also call you oncono first thing in the am, so he can take a look at you, don't let them put you off to another day even if it means you have to go down there and sit in the waiting room.
    I hope that you feel better soon
    tj
  • Sam726
    tjhay said:

Sam, alot of us have had
    Sam, alot of us have had this problem. It is not uncommon to be contipated. Did your oncono perscribe you a stool softner to take while doing treatment. Remember to drink lots of fluids all through your treatment, not just the few days after it, this will help in keeping things moving. Also call you oncono first thing in the am, so he can take a look at you, don't let them put you off to another day even if it means you have to go down there and sit in the waiting room.
    I hope that you feel better soon
    tj

Thanks I
    just spoke to oncall Onc..she was ticked that they sent me out of there yesterday without anything! I did take a stool softerner right after treatment but havent taken one in a week or so, I guess I should take one regularly? This is so miserable everyday to go through..I just drank some prune juice. I hope this helps me...
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Sam726 said:

Thanks I
    just spoke to oncall Onc..she was ticked that they sent me out of there yesterday without anything! I did take a stool softerner right after treatment but havent taken one in a week or so, I guess I should take one regularly? This is so miserable everyday to go through..I just drank some prune juice. I hope this helps me...

Hope you are feeling better

Hope you are feeling better
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    I was told to use Miralax
    I was told to use Miralax each morning. It has no taste or odor and you can put it in any drink.
    I have put it in orange juice, apple juice and water so far. You can put in hot drinks too. I was told whatever your first drink of the day is, put the miralax in and use it each day even if you "go".
    The chemo causes constipation and so do the prescription pain killers so when doing both its worse!
  • Suekirk
    Suekirk Member Posts: 3
    Sam726 said:

Thanks I

prune juice
    I was told to warm up the prune juice. (isn't much worse than cold prune juice!) It seems to help me more than cold.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    elm3544 said:

I was told to use Miralax
    I was told to use Miralax each morning. It has no taste or odor and you can put it in any drink.
    I have put it in orange juice, apple juice and water so far. You can put in hot drinks too. I was told whatever your first drink of the day is, put the miralax in and use it each day even if you "go".
    The chemo causes constipation and so do the prescription pain killers so when doing both its worse!

Sam .. I too had similar experience with my first 3 drug cycle
    of chemo .. Ugly .. Ugly .. Ugly .. I was consipated for 5 days ..Yes, 5 days Please see my posting .. page 2 -- subject line -- GREAT ADVISE GIVEN TO ME BY my sister in PINK>

Need help .. sensitive subject - private area is raw and inflammed .. Lucky me ..

VickiSam
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    "Senokot" is a natural
    "Senokot" is a natural laxative you can buy at Wal-Mart or any of the drug stores and it will get things moving usually within 12 hours. If not, take a couple of more and it will work.

Sorry about your problem.

Hope it gets better soon!

d.h.
  • Sam726
    VickiSam said:

Sam .. I too had similar experience with my first 3 drug cycle
    of chemo .. Ugly .. Ugly .. Ugly .. I was consipated for 5 days ..Yes, 5 days Please see my posting .. page 2 -- subject line -- GREAT ADVISE GIVEN TO ME BY my sister in PINK>

Need help .. sensitive subject - private area is raw and inflammed .. Lucky me ..

VickiSam

thanks
    Sorry you had same experience but glad to hear it if you know what I mean....Im trying anything at this point!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Sam
    I do homecare nursing and most of my patients really have good luck with miralax powder. I see lots of docs order it for patients especially if they are on narcotics. You can also take your stool softener daliy to 2 times per day along with the miralax and once you start going better you can back off on the stool softener to daily or every other day. You also should drink alot of fluids, water, juices, inc your intake of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains which you probably already know.

Of course, you need to be sure to check in with your oncologist before doing anything, but cancer and chemo aside, for most normally healthy people without any other medical issues, the miralax, stool softeners, dietary changes work really well.

Hope that helps

Hugs
    Linda t
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Water, water, water....
    I learned from my rectal cancer treatments...I tried to drink 4 quarts (!) of water the day before, day of, and day after chemo...it REALLY changed the occurance of constipation and bowel obstructions (I had a resection with my rectal ca...).

I still, more than 3 years later, keep well hydrated...again, it directly impacts my bowel 'performances'.

Hugs, Kathi