Silver Sneakers Program

mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm 67 and on Medicare with a supplement through AARP. I recently received notification that one of the benefits was being able to participate, at no cost to me, in a program called, "Silver Sneakers." Combine this with research on the ACS information network that 1 and 1/2 hours of walking at a pace of 2 -3 miles per hour or equivalent exercise would decrease chances of recurrence for those us who are ER+/PR+. I checked my zip code and found that my local Curves was a participating member along with a local health club. I joined the program at Curves. When my muscles and joints cooperate, I go to do the "circuit." Just wanted to share this information with other seniors out there on these boards who carry the AARP supplement. You may want to check with your supplement carrier and see if they offer this benefit also. I think it's great. I used to belong to Curves before BC, so this was a nobrainer for me. Hope this helps someone. Hugs, Marilynn

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Thanks Marilynn
    I used to do

Thanks Marilynn
    I used to do Curves too. I'll go check it out. It's the only program I ever stayed with
    consistently. Unfortunately my local gym closed so now it's a 30 min. drive to the gym, but
    I need to do something. I gained 20 lbs on chemo!
    Dee
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    Silver sneakers
    Hi Marilynn, good to know, Thank you, I also have medicare and AARP supplement insurance, Plan F.
    I am computer challenged, do you access AARP with your supplement ins # or your AARP Member number ???? Thanks.
    I am already registered under my member # at AARP's website, and looked there, but no mention of silver sneakers, so maybe I am at the wrong site ?
    sgamtd
    PS: I am working my way thru a Yoga book from the library, mostly working on the relax/breathe pages so far, but would also like to check into the program you mentioned IF one is awailable in my area.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    sgamtd said:

Silver sneakers
    Hi Marilynn, good to know, Thank you, I also have medicare and AARP supplement insurance, Plan F.
    I am computer challenged, do you access AARP with your supplement ins # or your AARP Member number ???? Thanks.
    I am already registered under my member # at AARP's website, and looked there, but no mention of silver sneakers, so maybe I am at the wrong site ?
    sgamtd
    PS: I am working my way thru a Yoga book from the library, mostly working on the relax/breathe pages so far, but would also like to check into the program you mentioned IF one is awailable in my area.

1-800-
    Forget the computer web site. Just call the 800 number on the back of your AARP health insurance card and ask them if Silver Sneakers is available to you. I'm on plan F, too. Also, go to http://www.silversneakers.com and then enter your zip code. It will give you the location/s of places near you who participate in the Silver Sneakers program. Hugs, Marilynn
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    mgm42 said:

1-800-
    Forget the computer web site. Just call the 800 number on the back of your AARP health insurance card and ask them if Silver Sneakers is available to you. I'm on plan F, too. Also, go to http://www.silversneakers.com and then enter your zip code. It will give you the location/s of places near you who participate in the Silver Sneakers program. Hugs, Marilynn

Silver sneakers
    Thanks Marilynn
    That was way too easy, lol, I never though to search that way, I spent 45 min at aarp's website, and like I said found nothing. silversneakers.com popped right up, the closest to me is 47 miles, but it's a town we frequent at least once a week, so I am going to check that out next visit. Thanks
    sgamtd