Cancer World

Sam726
Sam726 Member Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, new experience today. Went to ER for a non cancer related prob...ovarian cycst rupture. Anyways...was there 6 hours!! Took them 2 hours to decide to do an exam then another 3 of waiting. They refused to diagnose me or prescribe anything until they spoke to my oncologist. Of course, its Saturday and couldnt get a hold of him so I left without any meds. Found out had a small infection elsewhere. Guess now that I am being treated for cancer its gonna make things even more difficult when Im sick huh?? Geesh...anyone else have problems when it comes to stuff like this?

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sam
    once you are diagnosed,no one takes your health un-seriously! My doctors all know that I'm a cancer survivor,so they are hawk eyes about my health,are quicker to order tests for me,and are always telling me things to watch for and immediately bring to their attention if it happens!
    Unfortunately,because you now have a history-you are at risk for other health problems as well...
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Sam .. So sorry about your experience in ER
    Yes, I agree - our lives have changed now that we are fighting breast cancer. I can not believe you left the ER without medication.

I too ended up in the ER this past week, thought I was having a heart attack. What I found was ER medical staff want to know which drugs (chemo) I had been taking, and asked me several times, what type of breast cancer I had. After many hours, my local ER hospital (not affliated with my cancer care hospital)- wanted to run CT, Echo, PETscan on me. ..even though blood test, xray's - ct scan (to verify no blood clots in my lungs) came back negative for a heart attack. I felt like a freak of nature. After many frustrating hours, I checked myself out - against ER doctors recommendation. The point I guess I am trying to make here is that from now on .. I will always drive the 1 hour plus to St Joseph's in Orange, CA for any emergency services. ST Joe's is where I am being treated for my bc, and my records are accessible to all.

VickiSam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    VickiSam said:

Sam .. So sorry about your experience in ER
    Yes, I agree - our lives have changed now that we are fighting breast cancer. I can not believe you left the ER without medication.

I too ended up in the ER this past week, thought I was having a heart attack. What I found was ER medical staff want to know which drugs (chemo) I had been taking, and asked me several times, what type of breast cancer I had. After many hours, my local ER hospital (not affliated with my cancer care hospital)- wanted to run CT, Echo, PETscan on me. ..even though blood test, xray's - ct scan (to verify no blood clots in my lungs) came back negative for a heart attack. I felt like a freak of nature. After many frustrating hours, I checked myself out - against ER doctors recommendation. The point I guess I am trying to make here is that from now on .. I will always drive the 1 hour plus to St Joseph's in Orange, CA for any emergency services. ST Joe's is where I am being treated for my bc, and my records are accessible to all.

VickiSam

Sam .. I am still thinking abt you
    How are you this this morning ? I can not believe what happened to you .. Have you tried ice packs to help with the inflmation, advil ?

I am going in for my last of chemo of cycle 1 on Tuesday, and I will be asking both onc and onc rn what #'s I can call if I end up in ER on week-end or after office hours. Just trying to cover all bases.

It sucks that we have to endure weeks of chemo = 3 on/ 1 off. Should any of us bc fighters end up in ER .. we should be treated like any other patient, not a freak of nature (my experience) .. more importantly .. we have the right to get medical attention - at any ER.

Worried about you and your pain.

VickiSam
  • Sam726
    VickiSam said:

Sam .. I am still thinking abt you
    How are you this this morning ? I can not believe what happened to you .. Have you tried ice packs to help with the inflmation, advil ?

I am going in for my last of chemo of cycle 1 on Tuesday, and I will be asking both onc and onc rn what #'s I can call if I end up in ER on week-end or after office hours. Just trying to cover all bases.

It sucks that we have to endure weeks of chemo = 3 on/ 1 off. Should any of us bc fighters end up in ER .. we should be treated like any other patient, not a freak of nature (my experience) .. more importantly .. we have the right to get medical attention - at any ER.

Worried about you and your pain.

VickiSam

Im ok
    Hey VickySam, thanks for thinking of me. Im actually fine...the pain was from the cyst, I didnt even realize I had cervixitis (thats the infection I had) so it can wait til Monday. I will just call my oncologist and make sure I express my concerns about the ER. Crazy thing is I went to the ER at the hospital Im being treated at so I dont know what all the fuss was about. Anyways....lesson learned huh? Thanks again for being concerned and good luck on Tuesday girl.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    So Much
    for that ride yesterday huh? I'm so sorry you had this happen to you! I'm with VickiSam, why didn't you get any meds? At least an antibiotic!? I understand them wanting to consult with your Onc., but geez, like there wasn't "anyone" there at the hospital that could make a decision?! How could they just let you leave with nothing like that?! I would think a rupture of any kind is not good, let alone an infection on top of that! You take it easy girl and get on the phone with "someone" and have them prescribe something for you! Let me know how you're doin'!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Sam I saw from another post
    Sam I saw from another post that you had started treatment, now you have an infection, please be very careful. If you start to run a temp of 100.5 you need get medical attention right away. As a chemo patient you are very suseptipal (sp) to infection, which can be very dangerous for you.
    tj
  • Sam726
    tjhay said:

Sam I saw from another post
    Sam I saw from another post that you had started treatment, now you have an infection, please be very careful. If you start to run a temp of 100.5 you need get medical attention right away. As a chemo patient you are very suseptipal (sp) to infection, which can be very dangerous for you.
    tj

Thanks
    Thanks TJ...Im watchin my temp. Trust me, last thing I need is more problems. Thanks for the advice.
  • Sam726
    Cat64 said:

So Much
    for that ride yesterday huh? I'm so sorry you had this happen to you! I'm with VickiSam, why didn't you get any meds? At least an antibiotic!? I understand them wanting to consult with your Onc., but geez, like there wasn't "anyone" there at the hospital that could make a decision?! How could they just let you leave with nothing like that?! I would think a rupture of any kind is not good, let alone an infection on top of that! You take it easy girl and get on the phone with "someone" and have them prescribe something for you! Let me know how you're doin'!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

hey Cathy
    Yea, no ride yesterday. Im beginning to think this is constipation and not the cyst. Im cramping again..I called the oncall Oncologist and she was pissed they sent me out yesterday without meds. No one wants to make a decision regarding a chemo patient I guess. Listen to me when I say take a stool softener regularly after you start chemo. Apparently this is a super common problem...as for the infection and cyst, Im gonna try and get in tomorrow to see doc.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sam726 said:

Thanks
    Thanks TJ...Im watchin my temp. Trust me, last thing I need is more problems. Thanks for the advice.

Sam and the
    others of you going through chemo-in a way,your onc is now your primary doctor(while he is treating you). At least that's how it was for me. When I had problems with something-even if it wasn't really related to chemo-he gave me a check up and prescribed meds when I needed them.He took care of everything .
    I know that it seems like a hassle,but he/she wants to make sure you are healthy so that you can finish your treatments!Chemo really affects your health and they want to make sure you are okay!
    I know for myself that they sent me home with copies of a letter to the ER in case I had a temp or problems with my blood counts and needed to get to the hospital ASAP. That way you aren't waiting and they take you right away and they know what to look for!