Nausea, Nausea Go Away

California Girl
California Girl Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just finished my 2nd round of chemo and the nausea almost killed me this week. Anyone have a great combo drug that works. My doctor gave me the patch today. If anyone has suggestions, please HELP!

Patti

Comments

• Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Patty
    So sorry to hear about your nausea. I heard "ginger" works well for nausea. I take Phenegren for nausea from pain meds, etc. Don't know if it would help with your kind of nausea. Maybe ask your Onc about it. Hope your feeling better. Pammy
  • Bev1969
    Bev1969 Member Posts: 48
    I take Emend and haven't had
    I take Emend and haven't had any nausea.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Bev1969 said:

I take Emend and haven't had
    I take Emend and haven't had any nausea.

Emend taken first 3 days of TCH
    My co pay for this med is $60.00 = 3 large pills // 1 taken day of chem, and 2 days after. I've expereniced very little nausea - soFAR. Please call your onc and get a prescription, there are many med's out there to help with nausea - I am angry that your doctor didn't prescribe something for you.

Ginger, herbal tea, crackers.

I am so very sorry.

VickiSam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    VickiSam said:

Emend taken first 3 days of TCH
    My co pay for this med is $60.00 = 3 large pills // 1 taken day of chem, and 2 days after. I've expereniced very little nausea - soFAR. Please call your onc and get a prescription, there are many med's out there to help with nausea - I am angry that your doctor didn't prescribe something for you.

Ginger, herbal tea, crackers.

I am so very sorry.

VickiSam

Pills
    The first time I had chemo, they gave me something IV for nausea first, then a 125 mg of Emend (Aprepitant), 2 tabs ZofranOndansetron HCL and 2 tabs of Dexathasone. Second and third day, I take an 80 mg Emend every morning and 1 Ondansetron every 8 hours for those 2 days. Also take 2 Dexamethasone daily for second, third and fourth days. I was also given Reglan for any other days IF needed. The second time I had chemo, they didn't give the IV anti - nausea stuff.

I was also given Reglan (Metoclopramide HCL) for use at other times. So far, I've had no nausea at all so haven't taken any Reglan. With all the side effects of Reglan, not sure if I would IF needed but thankfully haven't had to think about it.

Here are some suggestions on nausea from the book the CCI gave me when I had my lesson before starting A/C. Can't tell you if they work or not but some ideas to try maybe. I would definately be calling DR. for some meds.

Eat smaller portions that are low in fat - easier to digest and get out of stomach quicker, Eat more often to meet calorie and protein requirments.

Eat dry foods such as toast, dry ceral or cracker soon after getting up in the AM.

Carbonated beverages such as 7-Up or ginger ale may help. Other ideas are popsicles, flavored ice cubes, Jello and Gatorade. A clear liquid diet may reduce, nausea.

Eat foods at room temperature or cooler.

Drink few liquids WITH meals. This can cause a bloated, full feeling. Instead drink or sip on fluids throughout the day.

Avoid eating in a warm, stuffy room.

Don't force yourself to eat favorite foods when nauseated. It may cause a permanent dislike of those foods.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Nausea
    Yes, this is one of my concerns too. I have to tell the oncologist about it as I do not know whether dexamethasone and prochlorperazine will be enough for me. Chemo start up date is just around the corner for me.

I hope things look up for you. The Gals on this blog are sure to have some answers for you. Best of luck to you.

Bella Luna
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Don't u just hate it?
    E-mend tops my list of nausea drugs. I take ginger caps every other day for maintenance. Zofran's good too. good luck
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Katz77 said:

Don't u just hate it?
    E-mend tops my list of nausea drugs. I take ginger caps every other day for maintenance. Zofran's good too. good luck

Emend is a great drug with
    Emend is a great drug with zofran for the 1st 3 days following chemo and no nausea.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Kat11 said:

Emend is a great drug with
    Emend is a great drug with zofran for the 1st 3 days following chemo and no nausea.

The Emend is the best for
    The Emend is the best for nausea during chemo. It really takes the edge off of nausea, and really works. Rague, you said you had a prescription for Reglan. PLEASE BE WARNED....I was also prescribed Reglan during chemo, and three months after completing chemo was diagnosed with Tardive Dyskinesia, as a direct result of taking Reglan. The FDA has placed a black label warning on this drug. TD is a permanent neurological condition that once diagnosed there is no treatment. It causes involuntary movement of the tongue and jaw area, and causes severe anxiety. Also, it is more prevelent in older females to contract this disease while taking Reglan. Just be cautious, as there are plenty of nausea meds out there that are much less harmful. My neurologist says this disease is one that can go away, but it will take years, if ever. I am sure I don't have "years" to live, so guess I will just live with it the rest of my life. BE CAREFUL! Hugs.

Judy