Got my Flu Shot today, did you get yours?

Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Saw my PCP to get my flu shot today and have my check up and go over all my treatments. Got the regular flu shot, but will NOT get the H1N1 when it comes out. We talked about it and have decided in my case against it. But I urge everyone, if your Doc ok's it, to get your flu shots now. Doc said going around early and quickly and unless you have A-1 immune system, you will most likely catch it.
Yikes!! In all total in the past 4 months, I have gained 14 pounds!! No more ice-cream for me! (boohoo) He told me not to worry about it. But I do!!
OMG...my hubby feel asleep! My Doc and I talked for hours! The office was closed and locked up when we left!
He is so thrilled that I am so up to date on all the stuff out there, when it comes to this disease. We spent 45 minutes on the internet alone, just looking up what drugs I could have while on Tamoxifen. He was going to put me on a script to help me sleep when I asked "is it compatible with the Tamoxifen?". He said "lets look it up"....was shocked when he discovered so many drugs were not available for me. Said it was a great thing I brought it to his attention as he did not know. He also advised me to be careful what drugs I take as Tamoxifen can mess up your cholesterol and so can some other drugs. You don't ever want to take meds that do this at the same time. He knows I run everything past my Medical Onc before taking anyway. He does look out for me though.
Said he researched and helped his Mom get past BC around 2003 and he is amazed how much has changed. Gotta love him though, he was unrelenting and found something for me to try. It is a muscle relaxant called "Zanaflex". I'll take it at bedtime and see if this doesn't do the trick.
Oooohhh....and then we had the BIG talk about lack of libido. Wanted to know if I thought it was from Tamoxifen or more a mental/emotional issue? I thought not from the Tamoxifen, as I have had so much done to me, that I haven't even thought about sex! He said "don't worry, since YOU can't take the antidepressant, we'll put your hubby on them, and then he won't care your not having sex!".
Nothing like leaving his office laughing hysterically!!
Pammy

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    What happened?
    Did your finger go crazy on your mouse?

I'm glad that your doctor takes the time with you. It is very important to know that a doctor treats you as a person.

Libido--what's that--just kidding. It has been a long time for me. Maybe someday when I meet the right person it will all come back. LOL

Margo
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Pammy, I'm glad that you
    Pammy, I'm glad that you asked the doc about how you might sleep better. I know you've been up late posting in the early hours. As far as your research, you post much info that is helpful here,as Mimi does. Much appreciated!

Thank you very much for the flu shot tips. I will get the reg. flu shot tomorrow at Walgreens and send Joe, too. Will ask my onc. about the swine flu shots.

Wishing you better sleep, interrupted only by your libido.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Pammy, I'm glad that you
    Pammy, I'm glad that you asked the doc about how you might sleep better. I know you've been up late posting in the early hours. As far as your research, you post much info that is helpful here,as Mimi does. Much appreciated!

Thank you very much for the flu shot tips. I will get the reg. flu shot tomorrow at Walgreens and send Joe, too. Will ask my onc. about the swine flu shots.

Wishing you better sleep, interrupted only by your libido.

Yep, I got the reg flu shot
    Yep, I got the reg flu shot last week. I will also ask my onc about the swine flu shot.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Got my flu shot today at PCP
    Got my flu shot today at PCP office.

Today was my last day for rads! Actually, I went once in the a.m. and again in the p.m.--with flu shot in between.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Flu Shoot
    Have been meaning to ask about flu shoot myself and for my daughter. My oncologist said it'd be okay if I had one. Will look into it next week. Thanks for the reminder!

Also, it's wonderful to hear you have a great relationship with your PCP.

Bella Luna
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    I've never had the flu shot!
    I went through chemo last winter, worked full time, and thankfully didn't get the flu. I have something against the shot. I'm not in any high risk group, so I won't get it this year either. I think my husband gets it every year, though.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    mimivac said:

I've never had the flu shot!
    I went through chemo last winter, worked full time, and thankfully didn't get the flu. I have something against the shot. I'm not in any high risk group, so I won't get it this year either. I think my husband gets it every year, though.

Flu Shots
    Glad all went so well with your PCP, Pammy.

Flu shot: my own med onc says "no" for me. Any type. (I've never had one.) I asked again just a couple of weeks ago. Lesson: we always need to run EVERYTHING by our own med oncs.

Kind regards, Susan

Note to Tux: Congratulations for completion of your rads! Huge accomplishment!
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Got my flu shot today. Never
    Got my flu shot today. Never had one until last year during chemo at which time my Oncologist highly recommended it. Took it again this year because Onc told me it takes about a year for immunity to return to normal after chemo.
  • steff5163
    steff5163 Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for reminder on flu
    Thanks for reminder on flu shot I will get mine on Monday.. My Oncologist also wants me to have swine flu shot which I'm a little nervous about I will be finished with chemo on sept.28 and feel my immune system is to out of wack to have it . something to think about.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    steff5163 said:

Thanks for reminder on flu
    Thanks for reminder on flu shot I will get mine on Monday.. My Oncologist also wants me to have swine flu shot which I'm a little nervous about I will be finished with chemo on sept.28 and feel my immune system is to out of wack to have it . something to think about.

Pammy
    I wish your Doctor lived here so I could go to him too!!! I had a bad experience with mine so now I'm looking for another...

I won't take the flu shot. I hardly ever get sick. Other than this cancer I've always had a really good immune system.
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Libido
    I had a great laugh at your comment about your lack of libido. I think we've all been through this during our experience with the beast. I think sex was at the bottom of my list of concerns for most of this year. My husband has been wonderful to this point, but I think he's reaching his limit, and with my reconstructive surgery coming up in October, I don't think I'm going to be up for much for another while. I guess we'll see how long he can hold out.

As far as the flu shot is concerned, I've never gotten it and I've never had the flu. I remember back in the 70's when the bird flu was the big scare. My mom got the shot for it, and nearly died from it's effects. I'm really sceptical of it and think I'll take my chances.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    contrail said:

Libido
    I had a great laugh at your comment about your lack of libido. I think we've all been through this during our experience with the beast. I think sex was at the bottom of my list of concerns for most of this year. My husband has been wonderful to this point, but I think he's reaching his limit, and with my reconstructive surgery coming up in October, I don't think I'm going to be up for much for another while. I guess we'll see how long he can hold out.

As far as the flu shot is concerned, I've never gotten it and I've never had the flu. I remember back in the 70's when the bird flu was the big scare. My mom got the shot for it, and nearly died from it's effects. I'm really sceptical of it and think I'll take my chances.

flu shot today
    Going for my flu shot in about an hour. My oncologist recommends the "regular" flu shot and when the swine flu one comes out he wants me to get that too. So ... I will. He's such a cutie ... I'd do almost anything he told me to do .... :-)

hugs.
    teena