Second to last taxol treatment last monday

steff5163
steff5163 Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have so many aches and pains anyone else have this and how do you fix. love to hear from someone with same problem

Comments

• sophy
    sophy Member Posts: 22
    taxol
    I know the aches and pains seem bad now, but I had the same treatment as you . I have been done for 11 months now, and am awaiting rconstruction surgery. With the taxol i experienced real bad bone pain and severe numbness in my fingertips and my nails turned black, both toenails and fingernails. My dr said that it could take up to a year for the numbness to go away, and also for the bone pain, well not believing it would ever go away, 11 months later I am free of both, just one day you wake up and say I can feel my fingers and hey I can get up out of a chair and walk normal. It just happened, my dr was right but i know its hard to believe while you are going through it. I just had a bone scan 2 weeks ago, I take 2 viactiv calcium chews a day[ over the counter] and my bones were just where they should be, I am 50 years old. I have a physical job, and try to exersise as much as possible. I am on tamoxafin now a little bone pain with it but my dr said thats good too, it means its working. My sister went through this at 36, she is now 52, and she says it was all worth it because she is fully cancer free. Hang in there, I know it is hard and you think it will never end but it does, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and everyone else on this wonderful sight.........jean
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Taxol pains
    I'm on Taxol too and have my last chemo treatment next Thursday. I also had terrible aches and pains after the first two treatments. I've had adverse reactions during my Taxol treatments which have required a bunch of steroids to get me through it. One side effect I get from steroids is that I can't sleep. After the the second treatment my oncologist suggested taking benedryl to help me sleep. I tried this after the second treatment and not only did I sleep but the aches didn't seem quite so bad. I didn't know if it was connected so I mentioned it to the infusion nurse at the third treatment. She told me some nurses suggest antihistimines to help with the pain - specifically benedryl and claritin. They also suggest it to deal with the bone pain some people get from Neulata shots. She said it won't take it away, just lessen the pain. And of course she said some people say it doesn't work at all so who knows. I'm pretty sure it worked a little bit for me and I plan to try it again after my last treatment. At least I'll sleep through some of the pain.

You might want to clear it with your dr. before you take it. They give me benedryl before the Taxol anyway but just to be sure. Hang in there! I know it's tough but it sounds like you're almost finished!
  • steff5163
    sophy said:

taxol
    I know the aches and pains seem bad now, but I had the same treatment as you . I have been done for 11 months now, and am awaiting rconstruction surgery. With the taxol i experienced real bad bone pain and severe numbness in my fingertips and my nails turned black, both toenails and fingernails. My dr said that it could take up to a year for the numbness to go away, and also for the bone pain, well not believing it would ever go away, 11 months later I am free of both, just one day you wake up and say I can feel my fingers and hey I can get up out of a chair and walk normal. It just happened, my dr was right but i know its hard to believe while you are going through it. I just had a bone scan 2 weeks ago, I take 2 viactiv calcium chews a day[ over the counter] and my bones were just where they should be, I am 50 years old. I have a physical job, and try to exersise as much as possible. I am on tamoxafin now a little bone pain with it but my dr said thats good too, it means its working. My sister went through this at 36, she is now 52, and she says it was all worth it because she is fully cancer free. Hang in there, I know it is hard and you think it will never end but it does, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and everyone else on this wonderful sight.........jean

Hi Jean, thank you for your
    Hi Jean, thank you for your thoughts and prayers! Thanks for letting me know I'm not going crazy . MY oncologist did mention bone pain--but of course my mind wonders and I think its from something else. Congratulation & God bless you on getting your health and strenght back.
    Steph
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Taxol pain
    Sorry you are having pain with the Taxol. My pains were mainly from the Neulasta shot and Claritin was recommended. As others have said, the pain does go away in time. If you are having numbness or tinging though be sure to let your onc. know as this could be Taxol-induced neuropathy. At this point, maybe Aleve will help with the aches and pains. What does your oncologist say?

Mimi
  • steff5163
    mickeymom said:

Taxol pains
    I'm on Taxol too and have my last chemo treatment next Thursday. I also had terrible aches and pains after the first two treatments. I've had adverse reactions during my Taxol treatments which have required a bunch of steroids to get me through it. One side effect I get from steroids is that I can't sleep. After the the second treatment my oncologist suggested taking benedryl to help me sleep. I tried this after the second treatment and not only did I sleep but the aches didn't seem quite so bad. I didn't know if it was connected so I mentioned it to the infusion nurse at the third treatment. She told me some nurses suggest antihistimines to help with the pain - specifically benedryl and claritin. They also suggest it to deal with the bone pain some people get from Neulata shots. She said it won't take it away, just lessen the pain. And of course she said some people say it doesn't work at all so who knows. I'm pretty sure it worked a little bit for me and I plan to try it again after my last treatment. At least I'll sleep through some of the pain.

You might want to clear it with your dr. before you take it. They give me benedryl before the Taxol anyway but just to be sure. Hang in there! I know it's tough but it sounds like you're almost finished!

Hi,
    We are both near the

Hi,

We are both near the finish line. I have my last taxol treatment this Monday. After that I will have 5 weeks radiation and then tomoxifen. I do get benedrly before my taxol as well and have been taking claritin(sp) at home. I really dont see a difference. I guess I have been kind of lucky that it just started now and I only have one more treatment. How are you doing with all the steriods before your treatment? I get tso hyper. Do you have any other treatment after taxol?
  • steff5163
    mimivac said:

Taxol pain
    Sorry you are having pain with the Taxol. My pains were mainly from the Neulasta shot and Claritin was recommended. As others have said, the pain does go away in time. If you are having numbness or tinging though be sure to let your onc. know as this could be Taxol-induced neuropathy. At this point, maybe Aleve will help with the aches and pains. What does your oncologist say?

Mimi

Hi
    Sorry you have to go

Hi
    Sorry you have to go throught this so young!! Thank God no numbness Yet and I pray it stays that way, Just leg pain. My oncologist did tell me I could expect aches and pains. The more you talk to everyone on this sight the better you feel. I really shouldn't complain I only have one more treatment left. I'm glad to have wonderful people like you to talk too.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Steff
    I have 2 more taxol/herceptin infusions as well but I will be getting taxol every 3 wks for 52 weeks. I had the aches in the joints too and was taking ibuprofen 800mg 2 times per day which helped the pain for about 6 to 7 hours then I hurt again. My oncologist orderred allegra which completely took the pain away...go figure, an antihistamine??? Ask about it cuz it really helped me

Hugs
    Linda T
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    steff5163 said:

Hi,
    We are both near the

Hi,

We are both near the finish line. I have my last taxol treatment this Monday. After that I will have 5 weeks radiation and then tomoxifen. I do get benedrly before my taxol as well and have been taking claritin(sp) at home. I really dont see a difference. I guess I have been kind of lucky that it just started now and I only have one more treatment. How are you doing with all the steriods before your treatment? I get tso hyper. Do you have any other treatment after taxol?

I'm right behind you!
    Hey - After my last Taxol this Thursday I will have 5 weeks of radiation and then tamoxifin! I hope your last treatement isn't too painful. I keep thinking that somehow I'll endure these last side effects better because I know it's over. The steroids are terrible! I did 4 rounds of A/C before the taxol and they gave me a bunch of steroids for the second A/C treatment to deal with some nausea meds. I found out then that steroids and I don't like each other. Unfortunately I keep having adverse reactions to the Taxol and they are the only way to get through it. It was steroids or switching chemo drugs to something that was weekly for another 10 weeks! I decided to suffer through the steroids.

The day after the treatment I have so much energy I feel like I could repaint the house or something. The buzz is crazy but the crash is worse. About halfway through the second day I get the muscle aches and then usually get kind of bloated and nauseous for a day or two. I usually just try to sleep it off.

I'll be thinking of you on Monday and I hope everything goes well. I'll be right behind you!
  • steff5163
    mickeymom said:

I'm right behind you!
    Hey - After my last Taxol this Thursday I will have 5 weeks of radiation and then tamoxifin! I hope your last treatement isn't too painful. I keep thinking that somehow I'll endure these last side effects better because I know it's over. The steroids are terrible! I did 4 rounds of A/C before the taxol and they gave me a bunch of steroids for the second A/C treatment to deal with some nausea meds. I found out then that steroids and I don't like each other. Unfortunately I keep having adverse reactions to the Taxol and they are the only way to get through it. It was steroids or switching chemo drugs to something that was weekly for another 10 weeks! I decided to suffer through the steroids.

The day after the treatment I have so much energy I feel like I could repaint the house or something. The buzz is crazy but the crash is worse. About halfway through the second day I get the muscle aches and then usually get kind of bloated and nauseous for a day or two. I usually just try to sleep it off.

I'll be thinking of you on Monday and I hope everything goes well. I'll be right behind you!

I had four round of A/C as
    I had four round of A/C as well that was the worst. I know what you mean about the steriods I feel like I can rip my whole house apart for the first two days and the third day I'm crying on the couch. I dont blame you for not wanting to switch treatments and drag it out any longer. I wish you luck on your last treatment, I will be thinking of you too! hopefully we will talk again soon.
    Steph