help newbie w/diagnosis

zia1
zia1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed in June and just had a lumpectomy Sept.4. My doctor said I was stage 2b but from what I read I don't understand why, tumor was 1.5 cm, they took 10 lymph nodes and 3 were bad, I am Her2 positive though. And what is grade? I read the pathology report and it just confuses me more. Can't wait for oncologist appt. on the 29th for answers, so can anyone help?

Comments

• e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Grade of cells is described
    Grade of cells is described as how unlike normal cells are.. 1 being cells most resemble normal cells and 3 being cells lest resemble normal cells.... so grade 1 is better than grade 3...

Staging... your a stage 2 because of the lymph nodes positive... not sure why they are telling you 2b... if your tumor is only 1.5cm you should be 2a... 2a is defined as tumor less than 2 cm with positive lymph nodes and tumors btw 2-5cm with neg lymph node involvement....

so i would ask your oncologist why they are staging you as a 2b??? not a 2a..

Her2 positive means your tumor is receptive to Herceptin a med they give to help stop growth..

There are many books out on the market that will help you understand what all this means.. I have one called breast cancer for dummies.. and my oncologist gave me a book all about breast cancer...

for me.... I am stage 2b... my tumor at its greatest point was 3.5 cm.. I had 8 lymph nodes removed and 2 where positive, I am grade 3 cells.. and my tumor is a triple neg.. meaning.. not ER, PR, or Her2 receptive.. I did genetic testing I am neg for that too..

HOPE this helps...
  • zia1
    zia1 Member Posts: 2
    e_hope said:

Grade of cells is described
    Grade of cells is described as how unlike normal cells are.. 1 being cells most resemble normal cells and 3 being cells lest resemble normal cells.... so grade 1 is better than grade 3...

Staging... your a stage 2 because of the lymph nodes positive... not sure why they are telling you 2b... if your tumor is only 1.5cm you should be 2a... 2a is defined as tumor less than 2 cm with positive lymph nodes and tumors btw 2-5cm with neg lymph node involvement....

so i would ask your oncologist why they are staging you as a 2b??? not a 2a..

Her2 positive means your tumor is receptive to Herceptin a med they give to help stop growth..

There are many books out on the market that will help you understand what all this means.. I have one called breast cancer for dummies.. and my oncologist gave me a book all about breast cancer...

for me.... I am stage 2b... my tumor at its greatest point was 3.5 cm.. I had 8 lymph nodes removed and 2 where positive, I am grade 3 cells.. and my tumor is a triple neg.. meaning.. not ER, PR, or Her2 receptive.. I did genetic testing I am neg for that too..

HOPE this helps...

Thanks! I thought maybe
    Thanks! I thought maybe being Her2 positive was part of the reason doctor said I was stage 2b or doesn't that have anything to do with the staging? Oh boy, so much to learn!
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi zia!
    Welcome to the board! Yes, pathology reports are confusing! I'm still trying to figure out the first one from my biopsy! I do know my surgeon told me the grade is not as important as the stage, which he wouldn't know until surgery. The waiting for answers can sure be frustrating at times. Since you are her2+ are you doing chemo?
    You have come to the right place for help!
    Hugz,
    Cathy