lumpectomy with radiation

Alex_Mom
Alex_Mom Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I read in the book my doctor gave me that radiation is typically 5 days a week for 6 to 7 weeks. "I think" I recall my doctor saying it will be once per week following recovery from my lumpectomy. I will call him tomorrow for clarity, but I am scared of this.

Comments

• MCJ
    MCJ Member Posts: 59
    You are not alone, things
    You are not alone, things get better
  • MCJ
    MCJ Member Posts: 59
    How large is your tumor, any
    How large is your tumor, any lumph nodes affected
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    lumpectomy and radiation
    Alex_Mom, welcome to the boards, I had lumpectomy and node biopsy, and need to take radiation treatments.
    After my lumpectomy I must admit I couldnt recall alot of what the surgeon said, but my husband was with me and remembered yep, 6-7 weeks 5 days a week. That is also what I have read here and in the breast cancer books I got.
    I was scared of the thought of radiation, just the word itself made me sick to my stomach, so right away I said no way.
    During my recovery from surgery I read the boards here, so many have posted here about their experiences, and it's not always fun, but doable, I followed a thread of Pammy's Rads, you will see them if you go back a few pages on this board.
    So after saying no way for me, I went yesterday for my first consultaion, will have simulation and ct planning later this week, and start next week. I will have 35 treatments.
    The recurrence rate of breast cancer is so much lower if you take the radiation treatment.
    So Alex_mom, do look around here, lots of support, and then decide what is right for you.
    Sincerely,
    sgamtd
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Lumpectomy requires Radiation
    When I opted for a lumpectomy, my surgeon explained that I must commit to six weeks of radiation to ensure that any errant cancer cells in the tissue of that breast were wiped out. I had 25 regular radiation treatments followed by 8 boost treatments for a total of 33. Yes, they are everyday, five days a week. It's doable. Hang in there. As you count down the days, they begin to go faster and faster. Hugs, Marilynn
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Alex_Mom, welcome! I'm Pammy
    I know radiation sounds "scary", but you will be surprised just how brave we can be and get through it! It is only scary because growing up, we heard horror stories. We are always afraid of the unknown. We remember what knowledge we gathered from years ago that do not even apply today. Radiation is very safe. It's no different than getting an x-ray (except you get one every weekday!). They are very precise in what they are doing. Ahhh...modern technology is such a wonderful thing. Hang in there and we will be happy to walk with you through your treatments. Pammy
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Welcome
    Alex_Mom,

Please don't be scared of radiation, there are so many great posts on here from people who have been through them (Pammy) and others who are going through them right now (Sue and Peggy) They have or were keeping us posted on how each visit has gone. There are even more of us who are getting ready to start or have just started as well.

I myself go tomorrow, to comfirm messurements and computer films and will start with my first treatment on Thrusady. We can do this, it is doable, and we can help each other walk this journey together.

I will have 28 treatments in all, with a boost at the of each treatment, some have 35, in which the last 7 or 8 are boosters. And there are yet others who have had up to 16 weeks. I feel incredably lucky not to have to of gone through chemo, but was willing to do all it takes to lower my reoccurance rate. My doctor told me that if I was to walk away right now after my surguries I would have a 20-25% chance of reoccurance. After radiation, and tamoxifen, my % rates go down to 4-7%. That's an incredable amount which makes it worth it for me.

Keep in mind that all people are different, and all treatments effect each of us differently, but they are doable. There are some really great women and men on this site. Keep posting and you'll find support, understanding, compassion, answers, and sometimes some laughs.

God Bless you, and remember it does get better, and we're here for you!

Aurora
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Akiss4me said:

Hi Alex_Mom, welcome! I'm Pammy
    I know radiation sounds "scary", but you will be surprised just how brave we can be and get through it! It is only scary because growing up, we heard horror stories. We are always afraid of the unknown. We remember what knowledge we gathered from years ago that do not even apply today. Radiation is very safe. It's no different than getting an x-ray (except you get one every weekday!). They are very precise in what they are doing. Ahhh...modern technology is such a wonderful thing. Hang in there and we will be happy to walk with you through your treatments. Pammy

Welcome, Alex_Mom--I too
    Welcome, Alex_Mom--I too have had a lumpectomy with radiation. I have just 2 more days of it. Once you get started, the time will just fly! I did get some irritation at the end of the regular rads, but the doc gave me Domeboro soaks to do & that helped a lot! I am now doing the booster rads, which are directed at the tumor bed. The techs are really great--I think they have to be really positive to do their job well.

Anyway, don't be afraid of the rads; you will be OK; your doc, nurse, & techs will watch you to make sure nothing goes wrong. I have not had to miss any work for the rads, either. I was really scared of the fatigue, but did not have any.

Good luck & let us know how it is going!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Tux said:

Welcome, Alex_Mom--I too
    Welcome, Alex_Mom--I too have had a lumpectomy with radiation. I have just 2 more days of it. Once you get started, the time will just fly! I did get some irritation at the end of the regular rads, but the doc gave me Domeboro soaks to do & that helped a lot! I am now doing the booster rads, which are directed at the tumor bed. The techs are really great--I think they have to be really positive to do their job well.

Anyway, don't be afraid of the rads; you will be OK; your doc, nurse, & techs will watch you to make sure nothing goes wrong. I have not had to miss any work for the rads, either. I was really scared of the fatigue, but did not have any.

Good luck & let us know how it is going!

You'll do just fine
    Radiation does sound frightening ... but it really isn't. You don't feel a thing ... except after a few treatments you sort of get a sun-burn type thing going on. I just kept putting the CLEAR aloe on (with my radiologist's approval)and it really helped with the peeling and itching. Just like a sun burn.

It's really a breeze and doesn't take long at all... after they get you "situated." Just a few zaps ... and it's over. Takes longer to walk to the room and back than the actual treatment takes. And ... I was VERY fascinated by the machine. It just amazed me that humans could invent something like that ... which would do everything it does.

You'll do just fine ... and try not to be scared ... because there's nothing to be afraid of.

hugs.
    teena
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Don't be scared!
    I know, easier said than done.......I had my first radiation treatment just this morning!... Had all the "planning stages" done for it last week....
    6 1/2 weeks 5 days a week......this after a biopsy in April, lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on May 20 The surgeon got good clean clear margins and NO LYMPH node involvement......Finished 4 rounds of chemo 4 weeks ago...... To me, and we're all different, radiation is going to be a walk in the park, compared to the chemo! Which, by the way, wasn't horrible, no day at the beach, but doable and manageable..... My oncologist is very agressive in trying to prevent a reccurence down the road and I agree 100% with him! My odds of a reccurence drop dramatically with CHEMO + RADIATION.....I'll take all the good odds I can get!
    Best wishes and prayers....
    Nancy