reconstruction woes

sophy
sophy Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in 08. I am now free and clear of cancer. I had a right breast masectomy, with chemo and radiation, finished them 11 months ago. Have decided to have reconstruction and also have my left breast done at the same time.I have a history of breast cancer in my family, so the decision for me is a good one. I met with my plastic surgeon before my masectomy and will now be meeting with her to discuss again what type of reconstruction would be best for me. She had discussed the trams flap procedures to me back then, I feel so good now that I am afraid of the long recovery that could follow these procedures. Could someone give me some in put on this? I am new to this sight, I did not have a computer when I was going through my cancer, wish i had, so I could have met people like those I have seen so far...jean

Comments

• dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    ask away
    Hi Sophy. First congrats on getting to this point of your journey. I had bilat mast in June -08 and had expanders put in at that time. I ended up needing radiation and had the implants put in in April. I had some rippling issues and just had them redone a month ago. I'm very happy with the results. There are many things you will consider. Your body type will help determine if some of the other proceedures are options for you. I'm small built and the implants really were my best option. Surgically speaking, I felt it was the least invasive and the recovery time was minimal. Some however do not like the idea of having a foreign body and prefer to utilize what their own body can provide. I have no regrets about my decision. Now I'm wondering about the nipples and tatoos???? This is a long journey but we are glad to have you as a traveling companion...welcome.

dawn
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    dbs1673 said:

ask away
    Hi Sophy. First congrats on getting to this point of your journey. I had bilat mast in June -08 and had expanders put in at that time. I ended up needing radiation and had the implants put in in April. I had some rippling issues and just had them redone a month ago. I'm very happy with the results. There are many things you will consider. Your body type will help determine if some of the other proceedures are options for you. I'm small built and the implants really were my best option. Surgically speaking, I felt it was the least invasive and the recovery time was minimal. Some however do not like the idea of having a foreign body and prefer to utilize what their own body can provide. I have no regrets about my decision. Now I'm wondering about the nipples and tatoos???? This is a long journey but we are glad to have you as a traveling companion...welcome.

dawn

Flap is a serious commitment
    Sophy,
    Congratulations on your recovery.
    I had Tram/Flap reconstruction. Recovery has been definitely not easy for me. I had one side only. Because you are going to to do
    bi-literal your plastic surgeon probably your primary advisor at this point. I found from my experience that recovery usually takes longer than surgeons told me. According to my doctors at the age of 46 I was very young-looking and in"the excellent shape and health" other than Stage III cancer.
    Good luck
  • sophy
    dbs1673 said:

ask away

dawn

dawn, thank you for the information, I am confused, my surgeon says that I may not have enough skin to stretch, my radiolagist says I should and my skin after radiation looks great. I am meeting with my plastic surgeon soon, so I am curious what she will have to say. I know the one and only time I met her before the masectomy she was going with the tram flap. Thank you so much for your help, I am glad that I found all of you........jean
  • sophy
    dbs1673 said:

ask away

dawn

dawn, thank you for the information, I am confused, my surgeon says that I may not have enough skin to stretch, my radiolagist says I should and my skin after radiation looks great. I am meeting with my plastic surgeon soon, so I am curious what she will have to say. I know the one and only time I met her before the masectomy she was going with the tram flap. Thank you so much for your help, I am glad that I found all of you........jean
  • sophy
    dbs1673 said:

ask away

dawn

• sophy
    dbs1673 said:

ask away

dawn

• sophy
    dbs1673 said:

ask away

dawn

• dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    sophy said:

stretching
    There is a process to go through before you get the implants. First expanders are placed under the skin. The expanders are filled each week with saline through a small port. As the expanders are filled your skin gradually stretches. Think of a pregnant belly gradually allowing the skin to stretch. My radiated side is definitely tighter than the non-treated side (i opted for bilat mas). Once the appropriate size is achieved it usually takes another couple of months just to allow the skin to adjust. The expanders are VERY hard but just remember temporary. After that is when the expanders are removed and the implants (either silicone or saline) and put in. It is also not uncommon for the dr to overstretch with the expanders so that when the implants are placed, it's an easier, softer adjustment. Please remember that no matter what option you choose it is RECONSTRUCTION not enhancement. Hope that helps.

dawn