Port coming up...

Bella Luna
Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm going in tomorrow for a port insert. In a way, I am relieved it's finally here and I can move on with the next phase, chemo. On the other hand, I'm a little scared because I know what purpose it will serve. Can't dwell on that tidbit, have to move on.

Will fill you in on chemo. Start up date for chemo is still pending. Have to get clearance from the Infectious Diseases doctor about whether I will be ready come September 24th for my 1st chemo treatment. At the moment, I am on antibiotics on account of a staph infection. The infection happens to be on the lumpectomy incision. It is healing nicely thanks to the drugs.

That is all. Best to you all on your journey. As they say, one step at time. God bless.

Bella Luna

Comments

• carol41
    carol41 Member Posts: 25
    Port
    Having a port inserted was the best thing I did for myself for chemo. Just make sure you get a prescription for lidocaine/prilocaine cream and put on a glob about an hour before your
    infusion. I found that Press and Seal worked best to cover. Have your infusion nurse spray
    you with some freeze stuff and you won't even feel it. Good luck!!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sorry Bella
    about your infected incision site!A double whammy... Glad that you got some drugs for it and I hope that they did the trick. Keep us posted on things!And that's the very best way(I've found) to take on the beast is one step at a time-then it's not quite as overwhelming!!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    My port has been used twice
    My port has been used twice and there was no pain at all after the nurse sprays the area with a 'freezing stuff'. Didn't have the cream (or ask for it) to use before going in. All I've felt is a slight pressure like if you lightly pressed your finger against your arm/knee/ whatever.

Susan
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Bella
    I had my port inserted on a Monday and my chemo started that Friday. I only took 2 days off from work to have it done. It made my chemos a lot easier to take. Good Luck tomorrow, I will be thinking of you.
    Pat
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Bella. Sorry to hear
    Hi, Bella. Sorry to hear about your infection but hopefully your port goes in tomorrow and you can begin your chemo next week. Then, you'll be on the road to dancing with NED. I'll be with you every step of the way. I've completed 2 of 4 chemo treatments. After that, it's on to rads for me. Good luck tomorrow!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Bella
    Want to wish you good luck on your port. I'm sure you will do fine. Please post back and let us know how it went for you. Pammy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Akiss4me said:

Hi Bella
    Want to wish you good luck on your port. I'm sure you will do fine. Please post back and let us know how it went for you. Pammy

Bella Luna .. You will be fine .. port placement
    will be a piece of cake, after infection and all. Please make sure to rest and keep yourself well after port placement. My port has been used twice. I truly do not feel any pain when port has been accessed, due to 'freezing spray'.

Take care and let us know how it goes with port.

VickiSam
  • sophy
    sophy Member Posts: 22
    port
    the port was the best thing I did for my chemo, no pain ever, my nurse was terrifisc, didnt even need the freezing spray. I t felt like a walnut under my skin, kind of gave me the willies at first to touch, but after a bit I forgot I had it