going away party for my right breast (and benefit)

sherik
sherik Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
If anyone lives in San Diego or surrounds - please join me Sunday evening at Jayne's Gastropub. I'm having my surgery (single mastectomy with immediate reconstruction - tissue expander - for DCIS) on the 24th so I figured...plan a party? The proactive, practical side of me uses this as a coping mechanism...it's working to keep my mind off what I can't control. (Friend's phone number removed by CSN staff to protect her privacy. Members can send a privat CSN message to Sherik for info about her fundraiser).

I'm starting to get scared. Met with my plastic surgeon today for my pre-op appt. I don't really like him, but he does good work. I wish I liked him. I love my breast surgeon so that helps. Looking forward to having this behind me and moving on with health! Hoping for clean pathology report.
Sheri

Comments

• lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    What a great way to say
    What a great way to say "goodbye" and support the cause. About your plastic surgeon - is there anyone else who may do a good job. Part of the recovery process is being comfortable with your doctors and it sounds like you might not be. Take care and check out all the options. It's great you have a breast surgeon you trust. I was fortunate in that. Since I didn't opt for reconstruction it's hard for me to speculate on what makes a good plastic surgeon but no matter how "great" someone is, you've got to be comfortable with and confident in them. That's just as important, in my humble opinion, as how skilled they are. Take care and I hope you raise lots for the cause. Lola
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    I wish that i could be there
    I wish that i could be there to celebrate with you. I know that you are frightened, remember that you are a strong women. A warrior in the making, and when you are done with this journey you will have discover just how strong you are. Your appreciation of things will be so much sharper, and your belief in yourself will amaze you.
    tj
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sheri
    good thing about your plastic surgeon should you decide to keep him is the fact that he won't be "in the picture" for long! Hope all goes well and that you have a good time on Sunday!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    I'll be there.........
    in spirit! Good luck on the 24th. That's a significant day for me too, that's when I'm having my first mammogram since diagnosis a year ago, and I'm anxious about it. I want it to show that I'm dancing with NED, but that fear is always there! Good Luck and God Bless you during your surgery.
    Pat
  • ColoradoGal
    ColoradoGal Member Posts: 14
    I parted with my left breast 08/07/09
    and am almost done with tissue expansion. The surgery is not as painful as my biopsy was! I was in the hospital only 1 night, the morphine was great to have, but after the 2nd day, I took only Advil. Don't be afraid...and if the energy is not good between you and your plastic surgeon - find one that you can better communicate with. I bought a set of fake boobs (gel-like, they feel very natural, and I wore the left one in my bra cup just to even things out. That made me feel better for the first few weeks. I will be praying for N0,M0 and a LOW, LOW Oncotype score for you! For an Agnostic, I sure pray alot these days.
  • triciaw
    triciaw Member Posts: 1
    I also am having a single
    I also am having a single mastectomy and reconstruction. ( spacer put in place after surgery). I'm really getting scared. I go on the 23rd! I know I will be ok...but I'm still scared! Wish I could go to your party. What a great idea!! Wish you the best!!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    GREAT IDEA
    that's a great idea..

but if you really don't dig your plastic surgeon I would ask around for another one. You will be spending more time with the plastic surgeon after surgery than the breast surgeon. So you should really find one you like. Best of luck to you.
  • sherik
    triciaw said:

I also am having a single
    I also am having a single mastectomy and reconstruction. ( spacer put in place after surgery). I'm really getting scared. I go on the 23rd! I know I will be ok...but I'm still scared! Wish I could go to your party. What a great idea!! Wish you the best!!

I know what you mean - as it
    I know what you mean - as it gets closer it gets scarier. But you will be OK!! And I will be OK!! I'll be thinking of you on the 23rd.
  • sherik

I parted with my left breast 08/07/09
    and am almost done with tissue expansion. The surgery is not as painful as my biopsy was! I was in the hospital only 1 night, the morphine was great to have, but after the 2nd day, I took only Advil. Don't be afraid...and if the energy is not good between you and your plastic surgeon - find one that you can better communicate with. I bought a set of fake boobs (gel-like, they feel very natural, and I wore the left one in my bra cup just to even things out. That made me feel better for the first few weeks. I will be praying for N0,M0 and a LOW, LOW Oncotype score for you! For an Agnostic, I sure pray alot these days.

thanks thanks thanks to
    thanks thanks thanks to everyone for your posts! The thought of changing plastic surgeons at this point is so scary when surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. I'm going to talk to my breast surgeon and see...HMOs make it so hard. I'm hoping for a recovery like u colorado gal.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    I will be with you in thoughts and prayers
    good luck .. Great attitude .. Happy going away party.

VickiSam