Any therapy after Tamoxifen?

smoothjazz
smoothjazz Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am in the FINAL few weeks of the 5-year tamoxifen regimen. I meet with my oncologist next week and will have the discussion regarding what's next.(?) Is anyone out there who has finished with tamoxifen and was given other options as to what's next (if anything)? Thanks in advance...great discussion board!

Comments

• aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    So Sorry that no one has answered you yet
    I don't have an answer for you but I know others more knowledge then I will answer.
    Welcome to the boards, and please keep posting. Think this post just moved to the bottom so fast that no one saw it.

Good Luck and Welcome

Aurora
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    What I was told
    Sorry I missed your post. My Oncologist told me that after my 5 years, I will continue to be monitored and will have yearly test that will be more extensive than the normal test. In other words...yearly Breast MRI along with a regular Mammogram. I will always see her the rest of my life and just because I'm done with the Tamoxifen, doesn't mean I am turned loose and set free, to fend on my own. I kinda like that!! But everyone is different. I don't know if this is how it is for me because that is how they treat all their patients, or because they asked to study me the rest of my life? I know some clinical trials last 20 years and those patients are watched closely. Pammy
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    I just started this process
    I just started this process ... but I've walked through it with my mom who was dx stage 4 in 2000. She did Tamoxifen for five years and then her onocologist put her on Femara. It depends on how old you are too. Tamox. works for pre-menopausal women, Femara, not.

I agree with the previous post ... I'm not sure we'll ever be let go! They're going to watch us like a hawk!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565

I just started this process
    I just started this process ... but I've walked through it with my mom who was dx stage 4 in 2000. She did Tamoxifen for five years and then her onocologist put her on Femara. It depends on how old you are too. Tamox. works for pre-menopausal women, Femara, not.

I agree with the previous post ... I'm not sure we'll ever be let go! They're going to watch us like a hawk!

And all too glad
    that they will watch us like a hawk too-wouldn't want it any other way!!
    Welcome smoothjazz-nice name!
  • smoothjazz
    smoothjazz Member Posts: 2
    thanks
    Thank you for the replies. My research indicated that there are specific factors/criteria that determine whether or not Femara would be the potential next medication after tamoxifen. I will let you know how my oncologist appointment goes next week. I'm all for monitoring too...and we should ALL be monitoring ourselves too! ;-)