YOGA

sgamtd
sgamtd Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello,
I am almost 7 weeks from surgery and had my first Radiation consultation today, going for simulation on Thursday, and starting Radiation (thanks PAMMY) next Monday.
I am doing well as far as range of motion, healing, I am active, excercise doing arobics, ride a bicycle, I physically feeling good now that I am rid of the blue dye reaction, but I am unable to completely RELAX my whole being, my mind/brain whatever is always racing, this has been going on since my diagnosis in June of 09, and I thought maybe Yoga would help me there..
There are no gyms or clinics in my small community, where I could take classes, and I was wondering if it is possible to learn from a BOOK ??????
Has anyone ever tried yoga from a "how to book" ?
Thanks
Sgamtd

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    sgamtd
    I have taken yoga in my community, plus I found dvd's work well also!! Diane
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Yoga- yes!
    I have practiced yoga for several years and was even studying to become a yoga teacher when I received my dx in May 2009. Yoga can be learned several ways and small classes are always good. Check adult school classes in your school district. YMCA's often have classes. If you can't attend a class I recommend watching Yoga videos/DVDs- some videos provide instruction on how to do the poses. Rodney Yee has several good intro. videos. One of my favorite yoga books is entitled Yoga Over 50, my Mary Stewart. This book provides good step by step instruction.

Best of luck with finding vitality through Yoga. Namaste Jane
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Online yoga resources?
    Sgamtd,

I have looked at yoga books before and am wondering (since you have a computer) if it would be more beneficial for you to look at yoga poses online. I think that seeing exactly how a pose should be done would be easier if it were on a DVD or computer video instead of in a book.

Many libraries have yoga books and videos (DVD's) you can check out for free. I've purchased a few yoga DVD's but wasn't happy with them and therefore don't use them now.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Wolfi said:

Online yoga resources?
    Sgamtd,

I have looked at yoga books before and am wondering (since you have a computer) if it would be more beneficial for you to look at yoga poses online. I think that seeing exactly how a pose should be done would be easier if it were on a DVD or computer video instead of in a book.

Many libraries have yoga books and videos (DVD's) you can check out for free. I've purchased a few yoga DVD's but wasn't happy with them and therefore don't use them now.

Hi, SG
    (Honestly, it's like that fuzzy emu guy is staring down his beak right through the computer at ME! I'm gonna need therapy, or a support group, or something! :-)

I can't recommend Collage Video (collagevideo.com) highly enough for any kind of exercise DVDs, including dozens of yoga DVDs. Every video in their catalog is first evaluated by a "regular person" and a certified instructor.

They have clips of every DVD on their site, so you can see it before you buy it -- I often check out the clips, then rent the DVD first from Netflix before I buy it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go do some yoga to clear my mind of that emu!

:-) Traci
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Jon Kabat-Zinn
    At first, after surgery et al. I used Jon Kabat-Zinn's " Guided Mindfulness Meditation" CDs. The CDs really helped me to learn yoga and meditation and to quiet my mind. His book, "Full Catastrophe Living" has black line pictures of the Yoga postures, which I copied. You can see what the set looks like at http://www.mindfulnesstapes.com/ Here's some information about Jon from his web site:

"Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. is internationally known for his work as a scientist, writer, and meditation teacher engaged in bringing mindfulness into the mainstream of medicine and society. He is Professor of Medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, where he was founding executive director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society, and founder (in 1979) and former director of its world-renowned Stress Reduction Clinic."

Try it; you'll like it! xoxoxoxox Lynn
  • jbaase
    jbaase Member Posts: 1
    Rodney Yee DVD's
    I have found Rodney Yee's videos to be really calming and peaceful. They always take place somewhere very relaxing and peaceful. The music is relaxing and I just really enjoy these videos/DVD's.

Books are ok but the DVD's give you the whole package..scenery,music,soothing male voice:)

Good Luck!
    J9
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    jbaase said:

Rodney Yee DVD's
    I have found Rodney Yee's videos to be really calming and peaceful. They always take place somewhere very relaxing and peaceful. The music is relaxing and I just really enjoy these videos/DVD's.

Books are ok but the DVD's give you the whole package..scenery,music,soothing male voice:)

Good Luck!
    J9

It's not his voice...
    I've seen several of Rodney Yee's DVD's -- and I'll bet it's not his *voice* you're looking at, J9!

• sgamtd
    TraciInLA said:

It's not his voice...
    I've seen several of Rodney Yee's DVD's -- and I'll bet it's not his *voice* you're looking at, J9!

yoga
    Wow, lots of ideas, thanks everyone, I think the internet, CD's and books are my best options here, I hate to admit this but since we got dishnetwork installed 3 years ago I dont know how to operate the DVD player so thats out, I do have a VCR hooked up to a TV in another room, maybe I can find a Yoga VCR tape on e-bay, no one hardly used VCRs anymore.
    Traci, you are kidding ??? I hope!! I most sincerely hope so!! This emu really cracks me up, and I was hoping he'd bring at least a smile to everyone that looks at him.
    sgamtd
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    sgamtd said:

yoga
    Wow, lots of ideas, thanks everyone, I think the internet, CD's and books are my best options here, I hate to admit this but since we got dishnetwork installed 3 years ago I dont know how to operate the DVD player so thats out, I do have a VCR hooked up to a TV in another room, maybe I can find a Yoga VCR tape on e-bay, no one hardly used VCRs anymore.
    Traci, you are kidding ??? I hope!! I most sincerely hope so!! This emu really cracks me up, and I was hoping he'd bring at least a smile to everyone that looks at him.
    sgamtd

He is the greatest lil' guy
    When I was looking for what to post for me, my daughter's BF had this one and sent it to me. I'm glad someone picked it out and it's good I didn't duplicate it. He reminds me of a really "ba-a-a-d" hair day but with attitude. It's almost as if he is saying "so what's it to you!" I'm also going to try to find some yoga and/or meditation. I'm feeling surprisingly good for 4 days out of surgery but know I will be going nuts since I won't be working yet. I know I will need to center myself and relax my mind. I have a couple really good meditation tapes I've used as background music when working with kids. I'm going to use them periodically during the day. Let me know what you find. I'd be happy to share the names of some of my CD's. Lola
  • sgamtd

When I was looking for what to post for me, my daughter's BF had this one and sent it to me. I'm glad someone picked it out and it's good I didn't duplicate it. He reminds me of a really "ba-a-a-d" hair day but with attitude. It's almost as if he is saying "so what's it to you!" I'm also going to try to find some yoga and/or meditation. I'm feeling surprisingly good for 4 days out of surgery but know I will be going nuts since I won't be working yet. I know I will need to center myself and relax my mind. I have a couple really good meditation tapes I've used as background music when working with kids. I'm going to use them periodically during the day. Let me know what you find. I'd be happy to share the names of some of my CD's. Lola

yoga
    Lola, the orginal emu had a "story to it" so funny. He asks what are you doing ???
    Waits a while, same look on his face, then says just what I thought nothing, then later he says now get back to work,
    I will see if I can put him on the expression page, when I made him my wall paper on my pc the "story" was not there anymore, just the mug of the emu, but I have the original somewhere on my pc.
    BTW, I googles Yoga, picked Yoga for beginners, and I cant believe the videos available to play right there, I have already had my first 5 min lesson. Thanks again
    agamtd
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    sgamtd said:

yoga
    Lola, the orginal emu had a "story to it" so funny. He asks what are you doing ???
    Waits a while, same look on his face, then says just what I thought nothing, then later he says now get back to work,
    I will see if I can put him on the expression page, when I made him my wall paper on my pc the "story" was not there anymore, just the mug of the emu, but I have the original somewhere on my pc.
    BTW, I googles Yoga, picked Yoga for beginners, and I cant believe the videos available to play right there, I have already had my first 5 min lesson. Thanks again
    agamtd

SG
    Thanks for the heads up

SG
    Thanks for the heads up on googling yoga. I'll try it tonight Another site I thought about is www.fancast.com. You can play old TV shows, even some of last years on your computer. I'm going to check out yoga. Lola
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Sgamtd!
    Another option is to check your TV guide. My hubby was doing yoga every morning (he eventially gave up) but it was like 5:00 or 5:30am !!! Whoa, Nelly....way to early for me! But there are programs out there. Their just usually very early or late afternoon. Pammy
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    I discovered yoga on PBS TV
    I discovered yoga on PBS TV and then bought a DVD by the same instructor.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Derbygirl said:

I discovered yoga on PBS TV
    I discovered yoga on PBS TV and then bought a DVD by the same instructor.

Yay for yoga!
    I am far from being a yoga expert ... but I can't recommend it enough for relaxing and stretching. From the few classes I've taken ... it has helped me a GREAT DEAL to learn how to breathe ... and relax. It sounds easy ... but it isn't. It starts out to be something you have to keep telling yourself to do ... inhale ... exhale. But ... it's all in how you do it. I have a terrible fear of needles so when it came time for an IV before surgery etc. I had to tell the nurse to wait until I was "ready" ... and then I'd get my relaxation breathing going ... and I could make it through the poking and prodding. I also found relaxation tapes/CDs to be a big help. Don't know if you're having chemo or not ... but I still use that when I go in for my every-3-week infusion of herceptin.

Good luck.

hugs.
    teena
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    love the photo....yeah , get
    love the photo....yeah , get some dvd's so you can visualize and there are good morning yoga programs on tv.
  • kat8674
    kat8674 Member Posts: 4

We Can Do It!
    I am not sure if you were referring to the We Can Do It poster that was chosen by your daughters BF. But if you were, here's some info: It's Rosie the Riveter, she represented the American women who worked in war factories during World War II. My daughter has this poster on her wall in her bedroom.

What a great picture to post!

Good luck and always be hopeful!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    The On Demand feature of my
    The On Demand feature of my TV has "Exercise TV", and if you have that as well, you can do any excercise, including Yoga anytime you want!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    chenheart said:

The On Demand feature of my
    The On Demand feature of my TV has "Exercise TV", and if you have that as well, you can do any excercise, including Yoga anytime you want!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Same here .. with our digital dvr box
    I use our Exercise TV instead of going to the gym. Wonderful variety of programs, so I never get bored. Then again, it's hard for me to get bored when I exercised 15 min's several times a day. I am hoping to build this time up to 30 min's by Jan 2010 - hehehehehhe. Seriously, by Oct.

VickiSam
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Yoga
    I would like to do yoga too. My mind, at times, starts racing too. I can relate to what you are going through. I know yoga can help relieve stress. Have been walking too. It's good to be outdoors getting some fresh air.

Good luck with your Yoga program.

Bella Luna

PS Just a thought, have you tried your library for yoga dvd and/or videos?
  • sgamtd

Yoga
    I would like to do yoga too. My mind, at times, starts racing too. I can relate to what you are going through. I know yoga can help relieve stress. Have been walking too. It's good to be outdoors getting some fresh air.

Good luck with your Yoga program.

Bella Luna

PS Just a thought, have you tried your library for yoga dvd and/or videos?

Yoga
    Bella Luna, the library did have 2 books, one with a DVD, so far I am doing the relaxing/ breathing "excercises" only, actually just sitting on the floor doing that for 30 minutes, and it's amazing how it helps me relax. You'll love it.
    sgamtd