Radiation starts this week.. any advice on what to expect...

e_hope
e_hope Member Posts: 370
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be starting my 30 rounds of radiation on Tues and was wondering what to expect. From you ladies currently in treatment or have completed. Would be nice to know what to really expect..
And does anyone have advice on how to prevent serious skin damage while getting the radiation... I'm worried about bad burns that will affect my final reconstruction surgery.

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    e
    there are lots of radiation posts on this board-take some time to skim through them if you havn't already! They are full of good info and others experience with rads!
    Your rads onc should be able to answer questions also so don't be afraid to ask!
    Ladies on here have used the plain aloe,aquafor,etc.I used some vitamin e cream at times.
    Keep us posted on how your rads go!
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I had 25 rad treatments, and
    I had 25 rad treatments, and I did burn a little at the end. Your rad oncologist will give you a cream to put on during radiation. I liked Aquaphor, but you need to check with your radiation oncologist. Do not use any deodorant at all, and you need to use a certain soap also, I was told to use Ivory or Dove. Make sure you wipe your breast before each visit. If you are uncomfortable with the burns, let them know. I was given a prescription creme and some gel form to use. I will admit that I was very tired, but I had an hour travel time, and sometimes I was in there for awhile. I have not had my final reconstruction surgery yet, but i did not have any skin damage that would prevent it. There will be other woman in your situation there, so talk to them. I made 3 very good friends and we are going out for our second lunch on Tuesday. So, it was almost like a little support group there. I went to a large Cancer Center in Philadelphia.
    I did not think it was bad at all. Take Care.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi e_hope, welcome
    I just finished my 35 radiation treatments this past week. I documented everyday on here for others to read what it was like for me (see "Day __of Pammy's Rads). There are several other women on here that are doing daily and weekly postings about their experiences, so keep an eye out for them. They will give you alot of advice as you go along. The main thing to remember is listen to your rad doc and techs, as they are the ones that will see you daily and know what your skin looks like. If you are given a suggestion on here, just ask about it on your next treatment and get the OK to procede (that's what I did). Good luck and keep us posted. Pammy
  • Terrina
    Terrina Member Posts: 6
    Radiation
    I had 33 rounds. I used Emu Oil from Palms Emu Ranch. It worked for me. I hardly burned. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I scheduled my Rad at 6:30am and worked out for an hour after each treatment. By the end I had lost some Chemo pounds and felt much better. Good luck!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Terrina said:

Radiation
    I had 33 rounds. I used Emu Oil from Palms Emu Ranch. It worked for me. I hardly burned. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I scheduled my Rad at 6:30am and worked out for an hour after each treatment. By the end I had lost some Chemo pounds and felt much better. Good luck!

Bra Tip
    They will tell you to keep it moist and use a gentle soap. The best advise I was given was to buy a bra called "Barely There" which is sold at Kohls. I still wear it because it is soooo comfortable. I had a lumpectomy so I didn't need to deal with forms. The place that is the most likely to get damaged is the bra line so you don't want an underwire or any bra that is tight there. Good luck. My 33 treatments went really fast.

Roseann
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    roseann4 said:

Bra Tip
    They will tell you to keep it moist and use a gentle soap. The best advise I was given was to buy a bra called "Barely There" which is sold at Kohls. I still wear it because it is soooo comfortable. I had a lumpectomy so I didn't need to deal with forms. The place that is the most likely to get damaged is the bra line so you don't want an underwire or any bra that is tight there. Good luck. My 33 treatments went really fast.

Roseann

thanks roseann...
    They

thanks roseann...
    They haven't told me anything about bras or soap... I'm truely disgusted about the whole process so far...
  • sophy
    sophy Member Posts: 22
    radiation
    finished radiation in october 08, the burns were not bad to my right breast, they gave me creams that really worked. I am told now that my skin is ready for reconstuction. good luck