Stage 3a breat cancer

Options
hncroper
hncroper Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a 31 year old mother of one married for almost 10 years to a wonderful husband. I was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. Had a lumpectomy 8/27/09 lump was removed and also 23 of 25 lymph nodes were cancerous, going for a petscan on 8/21/09.I go for my port consult with my doctor this week Then I have 20 weeks of chemo. I have every 2 weeks for four weeks the dose dense ac chemo followed by weekly paclitaxel. Then I have after the chemo 34 straight days of radiation.Is this normal radiation? I have heard it 2 times a week, but not everyday for 6 weeks. The biggest thing is I AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF NEEDLES! I fainted with the biopsy for goodness sakes. Will the port hurt? Also how is it done? I am hoping it is done while I am asleep? What am I going to expect with the side effects with the chemo? Sorry this is alot, but I have done research, but I really need to find someone or more than one person to go thru this with me and talk me thru this. My husband, family, & friends are awesome, but they have not been thru this and do not know how I am fearing death, scared of the needles, and all they can say is what can I do, or get over the fear of the needles, but damn it when you are scared of something it is very hard to just get over it! So any help or suggestion would be great and much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Hi hncroper and welcome. I
    Hi hncroper and welcome. I also had a lumpectomy, I am curently doing chemo. I had 4 rounds of AC and am now doing 12 rounds of Taxol. I have only had 2 treatments of Taxol so far and I will have to do 52 weeks of herceptin. I will have 6 weeks everyday of Rads. As far as the port. Its better than having them try and find a vein everytime. You will be asleep while they put it in and there is a little discomfort with it after. For me it hurts a little bit (doable) when they access the port. Its pressure mostly. You will know you have the port, it can be uncomfortable at times, but again doable. There is a cream you can rub on yourself so you don't feel the needle go into the port. I don't use this and I don't remember the name of the stuff, but I am sure someone will. Once the needle is in you feel nothing. Again this is much better than an IV. Side affects to chemo may depend on the person and the type of chemo your getting. You can read about the different drugs on www.chemocare.com. Just remember, just because it says there is a side effect, does not mean you will have it. There is some great drugs out there for some of the side effects. You will do fine because you have to. We are here for you every step of the way. Hope I was of some help to you.
  • hncroper
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Hi hncroper and welcome. I
    Hi hncroper and welcome. I also had a lumpectomy, I am curently doing chemo. I had 4 rounds of AC and am now doing 12 rounds of Taxol. I have only had 2 treatments of Taxol so far and I will have to do 52 weeks of herceptin. I will have 6 weeks everyday of Rads. As far as the port. Its better than having them try and find a vein everytime. You will be asleep while they put it in and there is a little discomfort with it after. For me it hurts a little bit (doable) when they access the port. Its pressure mostly. You will know you have the port, it can be uncomfortable at times, but again doable. There is a cream you can rub on yourself so you don't feel the needle go into the port. I don't use this and I don't remember the name of the stuff, but I am sure someone will. Once the needle is in you feel nothing. Again this is much better than an IV. Side affects to chemo may depend on the person and the type of chemo your getting. You can read about the different drugs on www.chemocare.com. Just remember, just because it says there is a side effect, does not mean you will have it. There is some great drugs out there for some of the side effects. You will do fine because you have to. We are here for you every step of the way. Hope I was of some help to you.

Thank you for your response.
    Thank you for your response. I am just really nervous of the port, I am glad I will be asleep so thank you. I really can not wait till I get started so I can stop being so anxious and nervous at least when I start I will know what I am dealing with. I am triple negative so I guess I can not have hormone replacement afterwords is what I am understanding. I will definitely ask about a cream to rub before they stick me with the needle into the port. I will keep in touch.
    Thank you
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    hncroper said:

Thank you for your response.
    Thank you for your response. I am just really nervous of the port, I am glad I will be asleep so thank you. I really can not wait till I get started so I can stop being so anxious and nervous at least when I start I will know what I am dealing with. I am triple negative so I guess I can not have hormone replacement afterwords is what I am understanding. I will definitely ask about a cream to rub before they stick me with the needle into the port. I will keep in touch.
    Thank you

Im not for sure but I think
    Im not for sure but I think shes thinking of EMLA Cream.
    Deb
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

Deb

Emilia cream
    Ask your Onc. for this ..I never had to buy it they gave me so many tubes I still have plenty left. The port is a life-saver, if you hate needles, think of it this way...you will only be stuck once and you can just look the other way and won't feel a thing, with the port. I was also dx'd stage 3a. I did have 34 radiation treatments but I think they usually give you the weekend off. I did 6 treatments (one every 3 weeks) of Herceptin, carboplatin and taxotere. I will be doing Herceptin for the remainder of the year.

I am wishing you all the best, keep us posted with any questins you may have and to let us know how you are doing.

Hugs, Jackie
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Hi, hncroper, I am sorry to
    Hi, hncroper, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis but welcome you here. I was also staged 3A, triple negative. I'm 49 and had a mastectomy last Thanksgiving. Finished chemo in April, and 6 weeks of rads on 08/12.

I had a different chemo regimen, but yours is common also. The amount of radiation you mention is normal. Most do have about six weeks of rads. I received 32 treatments. TN cancer responds especially well to chemo and to radiation, by the way.

As for the port, it is inserted under light anesthesia. Truly, the procedure was not a big deal. I went home in a couple of hours and went out for lunch/dinner later. Many women love their ports. They're easier on your veins and you actually have fewer needle sticks. You can ask your doctor to prescribe EMLA cream. You slather it on the port about an hour before treatment, and cover loosely with a bandage. You will feel hardly anything when the port is accessed.

As for chemo side effects, it's hard to explain all in one post. As you have specific questions, you might ask them. Also, just browse older threads. A wealth of wisdom and experience awaits you here.

Chemo is doable, and you will make it through, one step at a time. My husband bought a white board and created a calender for the days of each round. Every morning, he'd mark an X under the previous day. It helped to give me a sense of moving forward.

Finally, as for the hormone-negative aspect, there are a few of us here who also had triple negative bc. You should hear from others shortly. A thread, "triple negative" might be helpful as well. You can also PM me, and I will be glad to help you any way I can.

My best to you,
    Moopy
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Hi hncroper, I am Stage 3a
    Hi hncroper, I am Stage 3a as well. I don't have anything to add except to welcome you and to let you know that you can do this. My treatment was very similar to yours. I finished rads last October. Keep on coming here. We are all glad to share, laugh and pray. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Hi Hncroper, welcome
    I did not have chemo but just completed 35 treatments of radiation. Usually they give you weekends off to allow your skin to "rest". Sounds like a port is the perfect solution for you if you are scared of needles. Funny, needles don't bother me, but I am terrified of a bee sting (have never had one in my life!). I'm sure you are scared. As you know, cancer does not discriminate against age. There is also another thread for young women with BC. It may benefit you to check out both and get twice the encouragement! Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason. Please stop back anytime and for any reason!! Pammy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome, hncroper!
    I don't have anything to add but wanted to welcome you to this site. There are many wonderful, caring, and supportive individuals here that will help you every step of the way. Some of these people are through their treatments and some, like me, are in the process of going through treatment. They are a wealth of information and feel free to just ask and you will get your answer. Take care.
  • hncroper
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

Deb

Ok I go to the doctor inthe
    Ok I go to the doctor inthe morning so I will ask for the name an if they do the cream there. He mentioned a samll needle to numb me, but once again there is the dreaded n word.
  • hncroper
    Options
    rjjj said:

Emilia cream
    Ask your Onc. for this ..I never had to buy it they gave me so many tubes I still have plenty left. The port is a life-saver, if you hate needles, think of it this way...you will only be stuck once and you can just look the other way and won't feel a thing, with the port. I was also dx'd stage 3a. I did have 34 radiation treatments but I think they usually give you the weekend off. I did 6 treatments (one every 3 weeks) of Herceptin, carboplatin and taxotere. I will be doing Herceptin for the remainder of the year.

I am wishing you all the best, keep us posted with any questins you may have and to let us know how you are doing.

Hugs, Jackie

Thank you Jackie!

Thank you Jackie!
  • hncroper
    Options
    rjjj said:

Emilia cream

Hugs, Jackie

Thank you Jackie!

Thank you Jackie!
  • hncroper
    Options
    rjjj said:

Emilia cream

Hugs, Jackie

Thank you Jackie!

Thank you Jackie!
  • hncroper
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Hi, hncroper, I am sorry to
    Hi, hncroper, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis but welcome you here. I was also staged 3A, triple negative. I'm 49 and had a mastectomy last Thanksgiving. Finished chemo in April, and 6 weeks of rads on 08/12.

I had a different chemo regimen, but yours is common also. The amount of radiation you mention is normal. Most do have about six weeks of rads. I received 32 treatments. TN cancer responds especially well to chemo and to radiation, by the way.

As for the port, it is inserted under light anesthesia. Truly, the procedure was not a big deal. I went home in a couple of hours and went out for lunch/dinner later. Many women love their ports. They're easier on your veins and you actually have fewer needle sticks. You can ask your doctor to prescribe EMLA cream. You slather it on the port about an hour before treatment, and cover loosely with a bandage. You will feel hardly anything when the port is accessed.

As for chemo side effects, it's hard to explain all in one post. As you have specific questions, you might ask them. Also, just browse older threads. A wealth of wisdom and experience awaits you here.

Chemo is doable, and you will make it through, one step at a time. My husband bought a white board and created a calender for the days of each round. Every morning, he'd mark an X under the previous day. It helped to give me a sense of moving forward.

Finally, as for the hormone-negative aspect, there are a few of us here who also had triple negative bc. You should hear from others shortly. A thread, "triple negative" might be helpful as well. You can also PM me, and I will be glad to help you any way I can.

My best to you,
    Moopy

Thank you so much Moopy,
    Thank you so much Moopy, your advice was helpful. I am getting the port installed this Thursday and I am working myself up to an anxiety attack I can see it now. I will let everyone know how it turned out. I know I will have alot more questions, wish I did not belong to such a club, but I am glad that there are amazing helpful people in this club to help me and all the others out there.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Why?
    hncroper,

May I ask: Why are you deathly afraid of needles?

I am not trying to make you feel bad or be a smart alec about this, but wonder if you could figure out the reason you are afraid so you could think about needles differently.

When I was a teenager I found it very difficult to be out in public with other people (not the best situation when you are in a crowded high school or at the mall). I would get SO stressed out that I couldn't see straight, breathe correctly or keep my heart from racing like a galloping horse. It took me a while to get through this time of my life. Now when I think about it I realize I wasn't afraid of the people, I afraid of what COULD happen (they could make fun of me or yell at me) that I didn't realize most of them didn't even notice me at all.

Maybe think of it this way: If the life of your husband or your child depended on you getting a shot, you would do it without hesitation. YOUR life is their life.

Again, not trying to make light of your fear of needles, just trying to ease your fears and help you in any way I can.

Wolfi
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator