Semi-Colon Roll Call

Comments

• jpamr5
    jpamr5 Member Posts: 3
    Roll Call...my turn
    Dxed 12/07 after scheduling my first colonoscopy as a 50th birthday present to myself. Surgery on 1/08 to remove 10 inches of the colon, no mets. Continue follow-up visits every 6 months and thank God every day for early detection. Houston, Texas HOOKEM HORNS
  • mommasue
    mommasue Member Posts: 3
    jpamr5 said:

Roll Call...my turn
    Dxed 12/07 after scheduling my first colonoscopy as a 50th birthday present to myself. Surgery on 1/08 to remove 10 inches of the colon, no mets. Continue follow-up visits every 6 months and thank God every day for early detection. Houston, Texas HOOKEM HORNS

roll call
    New to this but...
    Dxed 3/06 Stage IV
    surgical resection and port next day (47 years old)
    Descending colon tumor 8/16 lymph nodes and 13 or so liver mets.
    Started with oxaliplatin - high fever and later found I had a broken port
    Port replacement Irinitecan/ Avastin
    Then Xeloda 5/5 2 weeks on one off
    Changed back to Irinitecan/ Avastin 5FU with pump
    reaction to 5FU pump
    Being considered for SIRT therapy on Thursday.
    Added Eribitux to chemo this week.
    Getting the "acne like" rash ... any ideas?

Feeling good and hoping for good results from my newest treatments.
  • donnare
    donnare Member Posts: 266
    Hi from South Jersey
    This is a great thread - thanks for starting it scouty!! It is so wonderful and hopeful to see all you NEDs out there, and all you warriors going strong and living well!!!

My husband was dx 5/28/09 Stage IV colon cancer with over 11 mets to liver - told he was inoperable and cancer would take his life at first hospital.

Went to Cancer Center - Fox Chase in Philadelphia.
    Colon resection 6/8/09 took approx 8 inches of sigmoid colon - tumor had perforated colon and attached itself to abdomen wall - all margins clean after surgery - took 26 lymph nodes and 12 were positive for cancer.

Started chemo 7/13/09 - 5FU, Oxaliplatin, Luecovorin - they will add Avastin next time. Plan is 12 treatments. Hoping that lesions on liver will shrink enough to make him a candidate for liver resection or other procedure to clean up liver.

We're in South Jersey - about 30 minutes south of Philly!

Thrilled to see all you survivors - thanks for sharing your stories!!!!

Donna
  • kevinpayne
    kevinpayne Member Posts: 17
    donnare said:

Hi from South Jersey
    This is a great thread - thanks for starting it scouty!! It is so wonderful and hopeful to see all you NEDs out there, and all you warriors going strong and living well!!!

My husband was dx 5/28/09 Stage IV colon cancer with over 11 mets to liver - told he was inoperable and cancer would take his life at first hospital.

Went to Cancer Center - Fox Chase in Philadelphia.
    Colon resection 6/8/09 took approx 8 inches of sigmoid colon - tumor had perforated colon and attached itself to abdomen wall - all margins clean after surgery - took 26 lymph nodes and 12 were positive for cancer.

Started chemo 7/13/09 - 5FU, Oxaliplatin, Luecovorin - they will add Avastin next time. Plan is 12 treatments. Hoping that lesions on liver will shrink enough to make him a candidate for liver resection or other procedure to clean up liver.

We're in South Jersey - about 30 minutes south of Philly!

Thrilled to see all you survivors - thanks for sharing your stories!!!!

Donna

new to thread
    dx 2/07 stage IV with mat in liver.
    first round of chemo 5fu continuous infusion
    1 month of radiation treatments
    surgery to remove 18" of colon and liver tumor
    12 chemo treatments of oxlaplatin w/ 5fu

2008 No sign of cancer

1-09 CEA markers indicate possible cancer return
    surgery
    CEA markers still rising
    4-09 another surgery
    CEA markers still rising
    PET scan indicats only inflamation in the original cancer area where radiation damaged tissue

my question is
    Do any of you have any experience with rising CEA markers? What does your doctor say?

Feel great,
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Right outside of Washington DC

Dx'd 9/08, Stage IV Rectal
    4 cycles of neo adjuvant chemo
    12/08 Liver resection (60% right lobe) with gall bladder removal
    2/09 Low Anterior resection
    8 cycles of adjuvant chemo, with 1 cycle remaining
    PET scan scheduled for next week
    then on to chemoradiation treatment

NED since 2/09, with questionable non active spot on liver and a couple on the lung that we are keeping an eye on.

Also mass in right breast that lit up on last scan is "probably benign", but breast cancer can't totally be ruled out, so that will be removed after chemo!
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    It's All good
    Hi all!!! Stats....diagnosed with Stage III Rectal Cancer 9/18/2006. Presurgery chemo (5FU pump) and radiation. Bowel resection with permanent colostomy and elective hysterectomy 2/2007, followed by 4 months (FOLFOX) and Avastin. Small bowel obstruction and surgery in July 2007. Have been officially NED since September 2008. Latest colonoscopy in May clear (1 polyp removed). Life is moving on here in Memphis, TN

Kiersten
  • drmrgirl47
    drmrgirl47 Member Posts: 129
    pamysue said:

Dxed 4/08, stage 3 rectal,
    Dxed 4/08, stage 3 rectal, surgery 5/08, 12 rounds Folfox. Currently NED and dealing with C Diff Colitis and side effects of Oxliplatin and a pull in my incision.

I still dread every test and have about given up hope of ever having any kind of 'normal' bowel habits. It's just been one thing after another. I was always so healthy and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I don't post here as much as I would like to. Trying to keep up with work and the house is about all I can pull off. Been off for 4 days with the C Diff so finally got to come spend some time here. I too read more than I post.

cdiff colitis
    Hi pamysue, I was just curious as to what medication they are giving you for the c-diff. I think I had mentioned to you, in another post, that the docs thought I had that also. I am literally stuck in the bathroom. I have between 15 to 40 bms per day. 15 is a good day for me. I do get some breaks in between. Maybe and hour or two. Anyway, I purchased the vancomycin for $895.00 only to find out I do not have c-diff. They think I have radiation damage. Will be going for a colonoscopy this Wednesday to see what exactly is going on. I also dread tests and was also really healthy. I so relate. And yes, I read more than I post. I have been NED for 5 1/2 years and have dealt with so much bs. Blockages, surgeries. Oh boy. Give me a break! Did you have your stool sample tested? Did they put you on flagyl or vancomycin?
  • sig
    sig Member Posts: 13
    pamysue said:

Dxed 4/08, stage 3 rectal,
    Dxed 4/08, stage 3 rectal, surgery 5/08, 12 rounds Folfox. Currently NED and dealing with C Diff Colitis and side effects of Oxliplatin and a pull in my incision.

I still dread every test and have about given up hope of ever having any kind of 'normal' bowel habits. It's just been one thing after another. I was always so healthy and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I don't post here as much as I would like to. Trying to keep up with work and the house is about all I can pull off. Been off for 4 days with the C Diff so finally got to come spend some time here. I too read more than I post.

side effects
    where are u located pamysue?
    i'm in new england - maine and also boston sometimes.
    can identify with sick of being sick - feel lucky though many days, to be alive.
    similar to your history (also stage 3 rectal);
    dx first in december 2007, then all of 2008 in treatments;
    i had chemo-radiation daily for six weeks early 2008, as first phase of treatments; then surgery; then chemo for four months plus some (three doses of oxalyplatin, then had to stop that and change things around); then reconnection surgery end of october 08;

2009 is whole "new" year for me still - trying to make it to five years and more! (letsee - that will be december 2012, though my husband counts from the end of tx, and i count from the start of it.
    we can do this!
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member

It's All good
    Hi all!!! Stats....diagnosed with Stage III Rectal Cancer 9/18/2006. Presurgery chemo (5FU pump) and radiation. Bowel resection with permanent colostomy and elective hysterectomy 2/2007, followed by 4 months (FOLFOX) and Avastin. Small bowel obstruction and surgery in July 2007. Have been officially NED since September 2008. Latest colonoscopy in May clear (1 polyp removed). Life is moving on here in Memphis, TN

Kiersten

Count me in
    Stage 3 rectal cancer. Dx on April 12 2009. Had 6 1/2 weeks of Radation and 5FU pump. Had surgery August 13 to remover tumor. Now going through my last round of chemo (I hope)
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

Count me in
    Stage 3 rectal cancer. Dx on April 12 2009. Had 6 1/2 weeks of Radation and 5FU pump. Had surgery August 13 to remover tumor. Now going through my last round of chemo (I hope)

Guess I missed this one.....
    DX'd 3/25/08 low rectal tumor golf ball size. Did 25 chemo/rad treatments ...Surgery July 15th 08 then 6 months 5fu/Oxal/Leucovorin...Permanent ostomy in sigmoid ...had inner spincter muscle , rectum removed and have ostomy at sigmoid. After post op chemo my first 3 mo checkup shows CEA less than one, NED, and colonoscopy done 9/3/09 showed no polyps at all and I am not to have another done for 2 years...Return for 6 month checkup 10/06/09...
    Live in West Paducah Ky..........Also quit smoking cold turkey after 30 years 12/18/07...another beast conquered.......
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Buzzard said:

Guess I missed this one.....
    DX'd 3/25/08 low rectal tumor golf ball size. Did 25 chemo/rad treatments ...Surgery July 15th 08 then 6 months 5fu/Oxal/Leucovorin...Permanent ostomy in sigmoid ...had inner spincter muscle , rectum removed and have ostomy at sigmoid. After post op chemo my first 3 mo checkup shows CEA less than one, NED, and colonoscopy done 9/3/09 showed no polyps at all and I am not to have another done for 2 years...Return for 6 month checkup 10/06/09...
    Live in West Paducah Ky..........Also quit smoking cold turkey after 30 years 12/18/07...another beast conquered.......

Update
    Just read my comment from April and thought I would update.
    Have passed the one year mark in July for being cancer free;
    had last scans in July, they were biphasic of chest, abdomen
    and pelvic. Found non-cancerous spots: one on lung, one
    on a kidney and an endometrial lining that was at the high
    limit of thickness but still within normal range. Onc.
    says nothing to worry about as long as not growing or
    lighting up...plus we all have some spot or other in
    us different places; next scans in October. So still
    enjoying NED.

Barbara
  • earied
    earied Member Posts: 22
    Roll Call
    Hello from Champaign, Illinois

I was diagnosed 10/27/2008 with a rectal cancer
    Stage 3 with one lymph node involved
    Had lower abdominal resection surgery 11/5/08
    Started 15 rounds of radiation with 5FU pump Mon-Friday in December
    Ended up in the hospital with severe dehyrdation & diarrhea the week of christmas
    Dr. cut my chemo dose in half.
    Started Folfox & 5FU pump for three days in February, finished last treatment June 3rd.

Have my year follow up colonscopy October 12th

Ann
  • Mchapp
    Mchapp Member Posts: 95
    earied said:

Roll Call
    Hello from Champaign, Illinois

I was diagnosed 10/27/2008 with a rectal cancer
    Stage 3 with one lymph node involved
    Had lower abdominal resection surgery 11/5/08
    Started 15 rounds of radiation with 5FU pump Mon-Friday in December
    Ended up in the hospital with severe dehyrdation & diarrhea the week of christmas
    Dr. cut my chemo dose in half.
    Started Folfox & 5FU pump for three days in February, finished last treatment June 3rd.

Have my year follow up colonscopy October 12th

Ann

Almost HEAVEN - West Virginia
    I live in the Northern Panhandle of WV - 18 miles due west of Pittsburgh, PA Airport...surgery was thought to be diverticulitis...abcess covered tumor on CT and Pet scan
    Stage llb, 0/93 lymph, no mets,marginal edges clean 4 inches +, NED... - June 4, 2009....no symptoms prior to fever and left abdomin pain...currently being treated in Pittsburgh at Allegheny Hospital - mop-up treatment the Folfox route...finshed 4 tx, 4 more till radiation and then another 4 of chemo
    2 children - 12 & 10, awesome supportive SUPERMAN husband
    I work for the American Cancer Society -
    Join Relay For Life in your community - we are among the 11 MILLION cancer survivors in the USA.....thanks to Research!
    Michelle
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Mchapp said:

Almost HEAVEN - West Virginia
    I live in the Northern Panhandle of WV - 18 miles due west of Pittsburgh, PA Airport...surgery was thought to be diverticulitis...abcess covered tumor on CT and Pet scan
    Stage llb, 0/93 lymph, no mets,marginal edges clean 4 inches +, NED... - June 4, 2009....no symptoms prior to fever and left abdomin pain...currently being treated in Pittsburgh at Allegheny Hospital - mop-up treatment the Folfox route...finshed 4 tx, 4 more till radiation and then another 4 of chemo
    2 children - 12 & 10, awesome supportive SUPERMAN husband
    I work for the American Cancer Society -
    Join Relay For Life in your community - we are among the 11 MILLION cancer survivors in the USA.....thanks to Research!
    Michelle

Close to you
    Hey Michelle. You are not too far from me. I live near the old Pittsburgh Airport. My surgeon is from AGH and awesome.Did Dave Medich happen to do your surgery? I did my treatments at Hillman but hear good things about AGH Cancer Center. Glad to hear that things are going well.

Smiles,
    Dawn
  • Mchapp
    Mchapp Member Posts: 95
    dmdwins said:

Close to you
    Hey Michelle. You are not too far from me. I live near the old Pittsburgh Airport. My surgeon is from AGH and awesome.Did Dave Medich happen to do your surgery? I did my treatments at Hillman but hear good things about AGH Cancer Center. Glad to hear that things are going well.

Smiles,
    Dawn

LOVE David Medich!!
    Dawn,
    Yes, David Medich did my surgery at AGH! Love the man - he is an AWESOME doctor! would you mind sending me your email address - mine is michelle.chappell@cancer.org....I would love to ask you some questions, if you do not mind!
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Mchapp said:

LOVE David Medich!!
    Dawn,
    Yes, David Medich did my surgery at AGH! Love the man - he is an AWESOME doctor! would you mind sending me your email address - mine is michelle.chappell@cancer.org....I would love to ask you some questions, if you do not mind!

Nice thread
    A lot of reading here, but so encouraging for me.

I have my first appt with the oncologist tomorrow morning. (I also plan to get a second opinion.) I had surgery on 9/2/09, stage IIIc, moderately differentiated, 5 of 17 nodes positive. Margins clear, CEA 1.8.

I've been researching the different treatment options, survivial rates, recurrance rates, etc., and am overwhelmed. Tough decisions ahead, but once I make them it will be full steam ahead to chase any possible cancer cells out.
  • Jimbob-
    Jimbob- Member Posts: 46

Nice thread
    A lot of reading here, but so encouraging for me.

I have my first appt with the oncologist tomorrow morning. (I also plan to get a second opinion.) I had surgery on 9/2/09, stage IIIc, moderately differentiated, 5 of 17 nodes positive. Margins clear, CEA 1.8.

I've been researching the different treatment options, survivial rates, recurrance rates, etc., and am overwhelmed. Tough decisions ahead, but once I make them it will be full steam ahead to chase any possible cancer cells out.

Jimbob Here
    April 2005 saw blood in the stool. Ten days later had surgery and ended up without a rectum and now have a permanent Colostomy.

I am the Poster boy for early detection. I had no bowel perforation or no lymph nodes affeted, stage one. No chemo or Radiation was required. I am easily coping with the Bag, Not a problem.

I was Born in west Virginai, Raised in Ohio, Now living in Pensacola, Florida. I am a Retired US Marine Aviator. 67 Years old.

I do not post much here but am frequently in the Chat Room. come on in and say hello to me.

Jimbob
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Mchapp said:

LOVE David Medich!!
    Dawn,

Michelle I will pm you
    Ask anything you want!
  • ninetoes
    ninetoes Member Posts: 81
    Roll Call
    Hi everyone,

Dxed in April of 09 stage II, surgery removed 1 ft of colon,In treatment...Chemo- oxy and 5FU, 12 treatments will start my 8th this Thursday. I live in the Chicago suburbs.
  • afretiredky
    afretiredky Member Posts: 28
    ninetoes said:

Roll Call
    Hi everyone,

Dxed in April of 09 stage II, surgery removed 1 ft of colon,In treatment...Chemo- oxy and 5FU, 12 treatments will start my 8th this Thursday. I live in the Chicago suburbs.

Terry from Kentucky
    Diagnosed May 8, 2009 by routine colonoscopy
    Stage IIIb sigmoid colon with added bonus of right kidney renal cell carcinoma
    Surgery June 15 with resected colon 2/15 lymph nodes with microscopic cells no mets and
    removal of right kidney with 0/9 nodes no mets
    Both were primary tumors (have a lovely scar from stem to stern resembling a local highway complete with pot holes)

Started Chemo with the lovely Oxilplatin(sp?) and 5fu pump for 46 hours. Have completed 5 rounds and have 7 to go. Having issues with neuropathy mostly in hands and feet, even with getting mag sulfate and calcium.

I live in Louisville, Kentucky...home of the Kentucky Derby.