post mastectomy drains

lovelylola
lovelylola Member Posts: 279
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm day 2 post bilateral and have a question. Since there's a wealth of info amongst the sisters, I'm going to tap into it. I'm feeling really good. No major pain only itchy around the incision site but don't know if it's normal to be down to only 5-10 cc of drainage in a 4-5 hour period of time now. I don't have pain on that side but a little more auxilliary tissue and a few small nodes were taken. The right side is still draining about 30-40 in the same period. I just am worried that maybe I am clotting in the line on that side. It drained well yesterday and the liquid was still bloody. Thanks, I need to know if I should be concerned. Lola

Comments

• GG40
    GG40 Member Posts: 28
    not sure
    but I don't think you should be concerned yet...I never had much pain either...did you have reconstruction too? I did and my drains were about 30 on each side the first few days but then down to 5-10 by the time I got them out on day 10. Just make sure you are stripping your tube good...it never hurts to give the doc a call though if you continue to be concerned...always best to have peace. I'll say a little prayer for you tonight. Hang in there.
  • GG40
    GG40 Member Posts: 28
    not sure
    but I don't think you should be concerned yet...I never had much pain either...did you have reconstruction too? I did and my drains were about 30 on each side the first few days but then down to 5-10 by the time I got them out on day 10. Just make sure you are stripping your tube good...it never hurts to give the doc a call though if you continue to be concerned...always best to have peace. I'll say a little prayer for you tonight. Hang in there.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    lola
    Do you have any swelling on the side that's not draining as much?? are you making sure that you squeeze the bulb tight before you cap it so it can create a good vacuum? I had 5 drains when I came home. Some of the drains right next to each other didn't have the same amount of drainage. For your peace of mind you might call the number they gave you... everyones body is different and it could be that it's slowed down becasue there's not much to drain out...
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Calleen said:

lola
    Do you have any swelling on the side that's not draining as much?? are you making sure that you squeeze the bulb tight before you cap it so it can create a good vacuum? I had 5 drains when I came home. Some of the drains right next to each other didn't have the same amount of drainage. For your peace of mind you might call the number they gave you... everyones body is different and it could be that it's slowed down becasue there's not much to drain out...

Like Calleen says...
    I was in charge of maintaining Moopy's two drains, and I just want to second Calleen's advice about making sure the bulb is squeezed tight and sealed tight too. Learned that one the hard way...
  • kadoute
    kadoute Member Posts: 1
    post mascectomy drains (jp's)
    Dear cancer survivor "sis"..I just went through my 11th reconstructive surgery after (stage zero breast cancer) billaeral mastectomy on Dec. 1st of 2005. Long story as to mmy choosing that option but I am pretty familiar with those pesky drains (jp's)......they likely will drain totally different side to side and if you have "milked" them on a regular basis (your doing way better 2 days than I was as I was in such pain I was miserable!) and you are getting at least SOME drainage (can also be just a serious looking fluid) you are likely just fine. Most general surgeon's ...who are the one's that do the mastectomy ...before you get to a Plastic's doc. if you go that route...are very ameaniable to a call or visit to their office if you are at all concerned. At least mine was. Be good to yourself.....even with all the complications I now think my end results are WONDERFUL. I do think that you need to feel connected in all this. Stay patient and connected and you will be fine.!!!
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    kadoute said:

post mascectomy drains (jp's)
    Dear cancer survivor "sis"..I just went through my 11th reconstructive surgery after (stage zero breast cancer) billaeral mastectomy on Dec. 1st of 2005. Long story as to mmy choosing that option but I am pretty familiar with those pesky drains (jp's)......they likely will drain totally different side to side and if you have "milked" them on a regular basis (your doing way better 2 days than I was as I was in such pain I was miserable!) and you are getting at least SOME drainage (can also be just a serious looking fluid) you are likely just fine. Most general surgeon's ...who are the one's that do the mastectomy ...before you get to a Plastic's doc. if you go that route...are very ameaniable to a call or visit to their office if you are at all concerned. At least mine was. Be good to yourself.....even with all the complications I now think my end results are WONDERFUL. I do think that you need to feel connected in all this. Stay patient and connected and you will be fine.!!!

I'd definitely call the

I'd definitely call the doctor's office. One of my drains stopped 'suddenly' like that, and I had a clogged drain. You probably are fine, but I wouldn't hestitate calling and asking the question.

Joyce
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Thank you all
    I knew I loved this site. I'm actually stopping in to see my doc before I fly back to the Big Island today. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'm thinking it may have been the "seal or suction" aspect as right before my post I had drained them both and shortly after posting, the left one began draining more. Now I check them twice as I am closing them. Have a great day. Lola