bland embolization

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
The interventional radiologist performed a bland embolization on three tumors in my liver. I go back in two weeks for RFA on some tumors in my lungs. I will also be checked and possibly re-embolized. I have two very tiny tumors that are in the porta caval cavity which are very small and most likely in the lymph nodes. I am headed for bethesda to join a clinical trial, I don't have a specific date as of yet. My interventionalist said everything went fantastic and that he has had very good success with bland embolization.

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    good to hear from you
    Hi John,

It's good to hear from you- I'd been wondering how you've been doing.
    I'm very interested to hear how the clinical trial in Bethesda goes. Do you live near there, or will you be traveling far?
    I've never heard of a bland embolization. You say that you go back for RFA on your lung tumors. Can you explain what the bland embolization is?
    I'm glad your doctor said everything went "fantastic" with it. :)

Take care,
    Lisa
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    lisa42 said:

good to hear from you
    Hi John,

It's good to hear from you- I'd been wondering how you've been doing.
    I'm very interested to hear how the clinical trial in Bethesda goes. Do you live near there, or will you be traveling far?
    I've never heard of a bland embolization. You say that you go back for RFA on your lung tumors. Can you explain what the bland embolization is?
    I'm glad your doctor said everything went "fantastic" with it. :)

Take care,
    Lisa

Hey John
    Thats great news!!!! Keep us updated

Jennie
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Hi there:

Sounds like you have a lot going on. I've had chemo-embolization twice on my liver (once in February of this year and the first time the week before Christmas 2008). It was an ordeal. I've not heard the term "bland" embolization - what does that refer to? I'd also like to hear about your experiences in Maryland. My oncologist looked for a trial there to send me to and there is not anything at this time. I hope all this treatment does you a world of good. Take care. Roy
  • snommintj
    shrevebud said:

Hi there:

Sounds like you have a lot going on. I've had chemo-embolization twice on my liver (once in February of this year and the first time the week before Christmas 2008). It was an ordeal. I've not heard the term "bland" embolization - what does that refer to? I'd also like to hear about your experiences in Maryland. My oncologist looked for a trial there to send me to and there is not anything at this time. I hope all this treatment does you a world of good. Take care. Roy

bland
    bland embolization is similar to chemo embolization, just minus the chemo. There has been a bunch of new reports that say embolizing without chemo is as effective as with it, but without the side effects. I'm very excited about my RFA in a few weeks. There is a new tool and technique being tested and I am going to be one of the first human patients. I'll tell you guys more about it when I have my CT and appointment in two weeks. My radiologist was very excited. He is good friends with the Dr that is developing this technique, he is going to be in my city in two weeks and has agreed to perform the procedure. Talk about good timing. After that it's onto bethesda.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    snommintj said:

bland
    bland embolization is similar to chemo embolization, just minus the chemo. There has been a bunch of new reports that say embolizing without chemo is as effective as with it, but without the side effects. I'm very excited about my RFA in a few weeks. There is a new tool and technique being tested and I am going to be one of the first human patients. I'll tell you guys more about it when I have my CT and appointment in two weeks. My radiologist was very excited. He is good friends with the Dr that is developing this technique, he is going to be in my city in two weeks and has agreed to perform the procedure. Talk about good timing. After that it's onto bethesda.

You're out there on the
    You're out there on the "cutting edge" of technology, John

Timing is everything and sounds like it is going to be just right for you.

Looking forward to hearing how the RFA goes - new tool and technique, that will be different. I'm interested in what that is all about.

Have a good w/end.
    -Craig
  • lizbiz
    lizbiz Member Posts: 120
    Sundanceh said:

You're out there on the
    You're out there on the "cutting edge" of technology, John

Timing is everything and sounds like it is going to be just right for you.

Looking forward to hearing how the RFA goes - new tool and technique, that will be different. I'm interested in what that is all about.

Have a good w/end.
    -Craig

Hi John,
    It sounds like things are moving along for you! I too am on a clinical trial.

If you don't mind sharing, where did you go for your embolization? I'm currently looking for some other options as it seems I've exhausted the choices I have at Mass General.

Good luck!
    Elizabeth
  • snommintj
    lizbiz said:

Hi John,
    It sounds like things are moving along for you! I too am on a clinical trial.

If you don't mind sharing, where did you go for your embolization? I'm currently looking for some other options as it seems I've exhausted the choices I have at Mass General.

Good luck!
    Elizabeth

Belief it or not in Spartanburg SC
    We have an integrated cancer clinic in Spartanburg. One of Spartanburg's wealthiest citizens wife died from cancer some years back. He then dropped a bundle on building a comprehensive cancer clinic in spartanburg. These guys truly have their act together. Virtually everyone has trained or worked at the best cancer centers. It is only one of a handful of MD Anderson Affiliated cancer centers. If it's out there they know about it or are working on it. It's not as big as those other places so there is a sense of community. Sure, people are still dying from cancer there everyday, but I think the % is smaller than other places.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Good to hear
    John,

I'm glad to hear from you, and it sounds like you have good doctors working very hard for you. Keep us posted as you can!

I'll be praying for you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Sounds good
    Good to hear from you John. I was wondering what was going on with you. Sounds good keep us informed. PaulaG.