I got my tattoo's today!

aurora2009
aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1

Just wanted to check in,

I had my appt with my onco yesterday to get a more detailed report of my oncotype dx test score, and all went well. My score is a 10, and she said if I was to walk away right now and never look back, I would have about a 20-25% chance of reoccurance either in the same breast or else where in my body. After finishing rad's and Tamoxifen, my %'s go down to 4-7%.

I can live with that, I was happy when I keft my appt, we talked about vitamin D as well as the risks of the Tamox, and she going to test both my D levels and whether or not my body metabolizes the Tamox. She said I was really well informed on my questions and concerns and of course I had to give all of you the credit! :)

She said this was a great site and highly recommends it for newcomers! I'm liking her more and more!

She also mentioned that the questions I had were from such new studies that even the doctors are in awe of the research. In other word when they came out with Tamox, it was never thought of to test metabolization first, almost as if the research was done backwards. She said it was very interesting data right now for researchers.

I had also had a chest x-ray done about 2 weeks ago, she wanted one because I'm still smoking, it came back clear, with no evidence of desease,I was kinda hoping for alittle more inspiration to quit, but sure am grateful that it's clear.

Today was my simulation appointment, I got my tattoo's, lol, was totaly expecting them to bust out the tattoo gun, and was relieved to see it was something small and disposable, kinda like a finger pricking needle only with ink.

I'll start my rad's on the 17th and finish on the 10/28 right before halloween! I asked about boosters, but she said that she has been leaning more and more toward giving a little extra boost at the end of each session rather than at the end of the cycle, so I'll only have 28 in all. Still adds up to 6 weeks though.

Guess that's all for tonight. I know what's up with the long post's Aurora lol. I should post a little at a time so you all don't get so board! lol, Maybe next time.

Take care all, as always I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers,

Aurora ♥

Comments

• Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    WONDERFUL!!
    That is fabulous news!!! What stage did you end up at? and what was the grade of your tumor!!! I take it that your second surgery got clear margins? Sorry so many ??
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Great news, Aurora
    I'm happy for your good news and treatment schedule. Get ready to do your dance with NED.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Great news, Aurora
    I'm happy for your good news and treatment schedule. Get ready to do your dance with NED.

Awesome NEWS .. Aurora
    Congradulations .. 1 step at a time .. Shine up your dancing shoes.

VickiSam
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Aurora.. wow... looks like
    Aurora.. wow... looks like we will be finishing our rads on the same day!! We will have a graduation partner.. lol ;-) I however started last Tuesday so I think I like the way their doing your better..lol..

I too am thankful for this site, and all the questions that it helps us to prepare for our doctors... Somehow between all of our experiences and the complete spectrums of treatments and tests that are covered by all the members here, I guess this group is pretty up to date on all the stuff coming out in todays medical field as far as treatments and tests are concerned.. which I have found very helpful, and my doctor as well has commented on... this truly is a blessing of a site....

I do hope your tamox. screening comes back that you are a good metabolizer... I know everyone worries about the se's ... but I would much prefer to take that than the option I am forced to go with... well... not forced.. but if I want to reduce the risk of reoccurance as much as possible well.. then I'll do it... or have ovaries removed... not ready for that one..

I'm glad the tattoo process went well.. I too was afraid of what type of needle was going to come at me for that one... when I saw what the were using I just started laughing...

Good luck my friend... wishing you a totally uneventful rad treatment road!

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Well, you're on your way!
    Aurora, this is all good news. It sounds like you have a solid plan in place and that everything is going to be fine. Good news also on the chest x-ray, although I think there are many other motivators to quit! :). We'll be having a Halloween celebration for you and Taleena soon!

Mimi
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    mimivac said:

Aurora, this is all good news. It sounds like you have a solid plan in place and that everything is going to be fine. Good news also on the chest x-ray, although I think there are many other motivators to quit! :). We'll be having a Halloween celebration for you and Taleena soon!

Mimi

Aurora ☻
    You are now officially a "Painted Woman"! That is what hubby says about me. I think he is just pissed cause I wouldn't and won't get a Harley tattoo. lol For some dumb reason getting the tattoos didn't scare me. And you are right, it is just like a pin prick with a tiny needle. I got 4. I think some get more, not sure. They are barely visible. Soon you will be in rads. Don't worry about them. I think, as you can see, they are doable. You won't feel a thing. And, you get to lay in a room with cool laser lights! lol Good luck to you!

Love, Jeanne ♥

P.S. If you light up at Halloween, you can be your own Jack O Lantern. Ok, bad joke...sorry. You won't light up. Or, I don't think so.............
  • aurora2009
    MyTurnNow said:

Great news, Aurora

Thank you Caleen, My Turn Now and VickiSam
    I really appreciate the well wishes. The real dance party comes when I have my 3 month follow up with my Onco in Dec. I know what I'm asking Santa for!

Caleen, I was dx'd with IDC, 1.4 cm tumor, stage 1 grade 2, I am ER/PR+ and HER2-. I first had a lumpectomy on July 7th with 5 nodes removed and all came back negetive, but my margins weren't clean, so on July 23rd I went back in for a partial mastsectomy, they took about 1/3 of my breast at that time. The first surgury looked so much better with only a 2 1/2 inch scar, but the 2nd one left me more disfigured, with about a 5 inch scar. I may look into some type of reconstruction later. I'm not a really vain person, and the way surgeon removed the tissue makes it really hard to tell, but I'll be stuck wearing sports bras the rest of my life if I leave it this way.

After the last surgury, my paths came back clean, I had the Onco test and my score was 10, so off to Rad's I go!

I feel good about where I'm at, but if they would of said chemo, I would of done it and been okay with that too!

Best of Luck to you
    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    mimivac said:

Mimi

Thanks Mimi

It's great to have a plan in place that's for sure!. I've been feeling really great lately (at least mood wise) but it was hard to pull myself out of my funk.

And your right there are hundreds of good reasons to quit smoking, like having such a good prognosis (spelling ?)and wonderful kids!

It is definately still on my list, and soon too. I'm good with schedule and plans so I'm setting my sights on New Years. It will be a great way to start a brand new year!

Take care,

Aurora
  • aurora2009
    taleena said:

Aurora.. wow... looks like
    Aurora.. wow... looks like we will be finishing our rads on the same day!! We will have a graduation partner.. lol ;-) I however started last Tuesday so I think I like the way their doing your better..lol..

I too am thankful for this site, and all the questions that it helps us to prepare for our doctors... Somehow between all of our experiences and the complete spectrums of treatments and tests that are covered by all the members here, I guess this group is pretty up to date on all the stuff coming out in todays medical field as far as treatments and tests are concerned.. which I have found very helpful, and my doctor as well has commented on... this truly is a blessing of a site....

I do hope your tamox. screening comes back that you are a good metabolizer... I know everyone worries about the se's ... but I would much prefer to take that than the option I am forced to go with... well... not forced.. but if I want to reduce the risk of reoccurance as much as possible well.. then I'll do it... or have ovaries removed... not ready for that one..

I'm glad the tattoo process went well.. I too was afraid of what type of needle was going to come at me for that one... when I saw what the were using I just started laughing...

Good luck my friend... wishing you a totally uneventful rad treatment road!

♥ & hugs,

~T

Well How Cool It that ?
    Dude duel graduation days! (add surfer dude accent) lol :) (cracking myself up)

I'm so happy for you Taleena that you finally got started and have a plan going. And yes we will have a great graduation together. I can't wait!

So what does wait in store for you after Rad's? If I remember right you don't metabolize right? My doctor said that that was the problem with this new research, because if you are not metabolizing then it's hard for doctors to know where to go from there. She said that she would probably have to recommend removing the ovaries, and then using the AL drugs or Famera. As usual I don't know what I am more scared of, but I like that she's on top of what's going on currently in medicine and research, because I know she has my best interest at heart. She wants to see me well too.

It's funny, but for some reason I thought I would need to get my ovaries out, just because I would be on Tamoxifen, but she said no there's no risk of ovarian cancer, only uterine cancer after 5 years of use, and if I was in menopause. She was very adoment about this, she said the main side effects were the hot flashes and night sweats, but she could give me something if they were too bad. So I agreed that we would give it a try.

I definately will be researching between now and then, and come at her with more questions, I'm sure. I'm just glad she's willing to run the test I want:)

So right back at you, my friend..........here's to an uneventful rad's treatment road for both of us!

Take care
    Aurora
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member

Well How Cool It that ?
    Dude duel graduation days! (add surfer dude accent) lol :) (cracking myself up)

I'm so happy for you Taleena that you finally got started and have a plan going. And yes we will have a great graduation together. I can't wait!

So what does wait in store for you after Rad's? If I remember right you don't metabolize right? My doctor said that that was the problem with this new research, because if you are not metabolizing then it's hard for doctors to know where to go from there. She said that she would probably have to recommend removing the ovaries, and then using the AL drugs or Famera. As usual I don't know what I am more scared of, but I like that she's on top of what's going on currently in medicine and research, because I know she has my best interest at heart. She wants to see me well too.

It's funny, but for some reason I thought I would need to get my ovaries out, just because I would be on Tamoxifen, but she said no there's no risk of ovarian cancer, only uterine cancer after 5 years of use, and if I was in menopause. She was very adoment about this, she said the main side effects were the hot flashes and night sweats, but she could give me something if they were too bad. So I agreed that we would give it a try.

I definately will be researching between now and then, and come at her with more questions, I'm sure. I'm just glad she's willing to run the test I want:)

So right back at you, my friend..........here's to an uneventful rad's treatment road for both of us!

Take care
    Aurora

You are right Aurora... I am
    You are right Aurora... I am a "poor metabolizer"... so I will be on a monthly chemo drug injection called Zoladex...they will use this to seize my ovaries, and then put me on the Femara... so I guess we will see... I'm still a little apprehensive about this, been doing a lot of research on the Zoladex... have only found one or two other users ... but they are actually taking that with the Tamox... which leaves me a little baffeled.. I have loads of questions for my onco when I see him next on Nov 17... about two weeks after our rads graduation!!!

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    You explained all of that so
    You explained all of that so well Aurora. I am sure a lot of newbies appreciate that.

Glad you got the tattoos, next stop RADS! Good luck with that.

And Aurora, please quit smoking! Don't get rid of one cancer just to get another. Or, even emphysema. ( spelling is wrong i am sure )

Ok, I am done lecturing...lol

Leeza
  • aurora2009
    taleena said:

You are right Aurora... I am
    You are right Aurora... I am a "poor metabolizer"... so I will be on a monthly chemo drug injection called Zoladex...they will use this to seize my ovaries, and then put me on the Femara... so I guess we will see... I'm still a little apprehensive about this, been doing a lot of research on the Zoladex... have only found one or two other users ... but they are actually taking that with the Tamox... which leaves me a little baffeled.. I have loads of questions for my onco when I see him next on Nov 17... about two weeks after our rads graduation!!!

♥ & hugs,

~T

I would be confused too.....
    What does that mean "sieze your ovaries? Does it stop them from working and throw you into menopause? Keep me posted I am very interested. I go for my blood test to see if I metabolize on Monday, but my doctor will be out of town until the end of the month, since there is really no hurry due to rad's I won't know the results until then.

God only knows that by then I will have let my mind run away from me!

Wishing you the best Taleena.

God Bless,
    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    Jeanne D said:

Aurora ☻
    You are now officially a "Painted Woman"! That is what hubby says about me. I think he is just pissed cause I wouldn't and won't get a Harley tattoo. lol For some dumb reason getting the tattoos didn't scare me. And you are right, it is just like a pin prick with a tiny needle. I got 4. I think some get more, not sure. They are barely visible. Soon you will be in rads. Don't worry about them. I think, as you can see, they are doable. You won't feel a thing. And, you get to lay in a room with cool laser lights! lol Good luck to you!

Love, Jeanne ♥

P.S. If you light up at Halloween, you can be your own Jack O Lantern. Ok, bad joke...sorry. You won't light up. Or, I don't think so.............

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Jeanne!
    That joke is too funny, lol

I've been using it all day :). I run the seasonal/garden area at Wal-mart and I started setting my Halloween displays today. So you know I couldn't leave that one alone. I just love Halloween and Christmas, it's so much fun to be in charge of lay out's and themes, and it's even better when you're good at it!

uh hem, No boasting here :)

Honestly I've had a really great week being back at work, it's just what I needed. And I have the greatest people working for me.

As for the tattoo thing well I don't have any, always wanted to get one, but just never did. I found it ironic that my first woulds be this way. I was expecting a full on, plug it in the wall tattoo gun. lol

Take care Jeanne
    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    jnl said:

You explained all of that so well Aurora. I am sure a lot of newbies appreciate that.

And Aurora, please quit smoking! Don't get rid of one cancer just to get another. Or, even emphysema. ( spelling is wrong i am sure )

Leeza

Thanks Leeza
    You're right and I do plan on quiting, it's just that my stress levels were so high there for a while and the guilt over quiting was killing me, so I decided to put it away for awhile.

I'm doing good right now (emotiomally), I had asked the doctor for an anti-depressant, and she gave me Lexapro. I never filled it or took it but am thinking about getting started with it anyway. I know that rad's will eventually drain me of energy which usualy effects my moods, plus the tamoxifen might also. So I'm thinking that if I start on it now while my spirits are up, that by the time it kicks in, it will be right on time.

So I figure by the end of the year, most of the up coming highs and lows will be hurdled. If you can't tell I somewhat of a control freak, and Ive learned over the years that if I set long term goals, I have less anziety and more chance of accomplishing them.

That's the best I can do for now, but I'm happy the x-ray came out clear, and I won't take that forgranted.

And hey, feel free to lecture me anytime we all need a kick in the pants sometimes, lol :)
    and I appreciate your concern.

Lots of love,
    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    jnl said:

Leeza

Thanks Leeza
    You're right and I do plan on quiting, it's just that my stress levels were so high there for a while and the guilt over quiting was killing me, so I decided to put it away for awhile.

I'm doing good right now (emotiomally), I had asked the doctor for an anti-depressant, and she gave me Lexapro. I never filled it or took it but am thinking about getting started with it anyway. I know that rad's will eventually drain me of energy which usualy effects my moods, plus the tamoxifen might also. So I'm thinking that if I start on it now while my spirits are up, that by the time it kicks in, it will be right on time.

So I figure by the end of the year, most of the up coming highs and lows will be hurdled. If you can't tell I somewhat of a control freak, and Ive learned over the years that if I set long term goals, I have less anziety and more chance of accomplishing them.

That's the best I can do for now, but I'm happy the x-ray came out clear, and I won't take that forgranted.

And hey, feel free to lecture me anytime we all need a kick in the pants sometimes, lol :)
    and I appreciate your concern.

Lots of love,
    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    jnl said:

Leeza

lol
    I did a double post but in 2 differnt colors!!!!!!!!!!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188

I would be confused too.....
    What does that mean "sieze your ovaries? Does it stop them from working and throw you into menopause? Keep me posted I am very interested. I go for my blood test to see if I metabolize on Monday, but my doctor will be out of town until the end of the month, since there is really no hurry due to rad's I won't know the results until then.

God only knows that by then I will have let my mind run away from me!

Wishing you the best Taleena.

God Bless,
    Aurora

Ovaries
    What Taleena is having done is a drug that basically stops or haults her ovaries from functioning. Yes, it is just like putting you into menopause. Only I believe once the drug is stopped, ovaries start working again. My Doc wanted me to take this shot until she found out I already had a historectomy 4 years ago (just left the ovaries in). Then found out my ovaries "lit up" on my PET SCAN. They are hoping it is cyst on them, but we will know once I have the surgery to remove them.
    Aurora, So glad you have a plan. Congrats on your tats!!! How cool you and Taleena can graduate together. As you know, she was suppose to graduate with me! But, noooooo, she had to do it HER way!! (LOL) BE careful....she is sneaky!! (ROFLOL)!! Don't let her cheat!!
    I still can't believe that she didn't get to start until the day I finished!! So glad though that the two of you (and everyone else) has finally started another step in this fight. One more day closer to winning!! Pammy
  • aurora2009
    Akiss4me said:

Ovaries
    What Taleena is having done is a drug that basically stops or haults her ovaries from functioning. Yes, it is just like putting you into menopause. Only I believe once the drug is stopped, ovaries start working again. My Doc wanted me to take this shot until she found out I already had a historectomy 4 years ago (just left the ovaries in). Then found out my ovaries "lit up" on my PET SCAN. They are hoping it is cyst on them, but we will know once I have the surgery to remove them.
    Aurora, So glad you have a plan. Congrats on your tats!!! How cool you and Taleena can graduate together. As you know, she was suppose to graduate with me! But, noooooo, she had to do it HER way!! (LOL) BE careful....she is sneaky!! (ROFLOL)!! Don't let her cheat!!
    I still can't believe that she didn't get to start until the day I finished!! So glad though that the two of you (and everyone else) has finally started another step in this fight. One more day closer to winning!! Pammy

Don't you worry Pammy
    I'll keeping an eye on her alright!

Hey thanks for the info on the ovaries, I've been wondering alot about that. And I'll so be praying for you and your next surgury, I didn't realize that was why you were having them taken out. I really hope it's just a cist too. After that what happens? Will you still be put on Tamoxifen? or another type of hormone therapy?

Full of questions huh? The tamox scares me for a couple reasons, but I'm going to give it a try no matter what, just got too, you know?

Take care Pammy, and have a great weekend!

Aurora