New and Need Your Advise

neeneeof13
neeneeof13 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I found my lump Feb. 23 and was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a mastectomy on March 10, diagonsed with stage 3A, 5 of 8 lymph nodes positive, and I am Her2+. Started my chemo on April 14, which ended on July 28. Went through the chemo and did not have to postpone any, although I had most of the side effects. Then at the end, without any warning the oncologist informed me that I would need radiation. I was not expecting this, I was already planning to have reconstructive surgery, and needless to say I will probably never have it now. When they told me that I would have to have rad, it hit me really hard. I am now getting Herceptin and they have put me on Femara, so that might be why I am so emotional at this time. Please all of you give me some advise how to go forward from here. I have a very supportive group of friends and family, but no one I know has ever been diagosed with breast cancer that had to have mastectomy, chemo, radiation and hormone therapy.

Linda

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, Linda
    Linda,

My diagnosis is very different from yours, but I know from reading these boards that mastectomy --> chemo --> radiation --> hormone therapy is very, very common, and I know that others here will share their experiences with you. There are also many Her2+ positive women here who will share.

I haven't started radiation yet, but most women here say that it's nothing compared with fighting your way through chemo. Definitely read some of the daily radiation journals that several women post here -- it should help put your mind at ease.

Traci
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Hi Linda ☻
    First, let me welcome you to the board. And second, what are you afraid of? Radiation treatments? I, as many others on here, had radiation treatments, and, I even had them twice as a matter of fact, and, I can report that I am doing fine! I had a lumpectomy so reconstruction wasn't something that I needed. I do know there are women on here that had a mastectomy, radiation and then reconstruction. Everyone is an individual and you need to remember that. What has your plastic surgeon said? I know they do reconstruction on radiated mastectomy patients. The only thing I know most plastic surgeons won't do is do reconstruction on a smoker. Let us know how you continue to do Linda! And, welcome again!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Hi Linda
    The unexpected can sure hit us hard. I'm sorry. But as others have said, chemo with radiation is very common, even with a mastectomy. If you got through your chemo, you will get through rads as well. You just have to hang on a bit longer. Think of it this way: the rads are another layer of protection between you and future recurrence. You can say you did everything you could to get and stay healthy. We have a great group here, many of whom have been through the works: surgery, chemo, rads, Herceptin, hormone therapy. You're among friends.

Mimi
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    mimivac said:

Hi Linda
    The unexpected can sure hit us hard. I'm sorry. But as others have said, chemo with radiation is very common, even with a mastectomy. If you got through your chemo, you will get through rads as well. You just have to hang on a bit longer. Think of it this way: the rads are another layer of protection between you and future recurrence. You can say you did everything you could to get and stay healthy. We have a great group here, many of whom have been through the works: surgery, chemo, rads, Herceptin, hormone therapy. You're among friends.

Mimi

Linda
    As jeanne said you can still have reconstruction. If your plastic surgeon doesn't do the tram then ask them to recomend another plastic surgeon who can. I know that radiation usually damages the skin so the tram is what is usally done.. I didn't have radiation because I chose to have both breasts removed and in my case radiation wasn't necessary.. but I did have a tram. They used my belly skin and fat to make my new breasts. I am very happy with how it turned out... mine was done just a short 7 weeks ago and I'm doing great!!! there are many Women on here who had rads and reconstruction!! You will be fine..
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Linda, I just wanted to
    Linda, I just wanted to welcome you. I had a lumpectomy and am just in the chemo stage. I do stil have rads and hormone therapy to follow. Take it one day at a time and you'll get through it all. This is the right place to come as there are many stories here that will help you get through your journey.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Calleen said:

Linda
    As jeanne said you can still have reconstruction. If your plastic surgeon doesn't do the tram then ask them to recomend another plastic surgeon who can. I know that radiation usually damages the skin so the tram is what is usally done.. I didn't have radiation because I chose to have both breasts removed and in my case radiation wasn't necessary.. but I did have a tram. They used my belly skin and fat to make my new breasts. I am very happy with how it turned out... mine was done just a short 7 weeks ago and I'm doing great!!! there are many Women on here who had rads and reconstruction!! You will be fine..

I had radiation in 2000 and

I had radiation in 2000 and then DCIS was found in the same breast earlier this year. I had a bilateral mastectomy and immediate DIEP reconstruction (similar to TRAM without the tunneling: the tissue, fat and blood supply are disconnect in the abdomen and the blood supply is reconnected under the arms). I went back to work eight weeks after surgery, and have been feeling fine.

Joyce
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    linda
    rads and herceptin walk in park for me. i was on herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. i have not gone to see about reconstructive surgery. I needed some time a way from doctors.i haver to to my doctors about this and i have a surgen just taking my time to go see him good luck
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    ladybug22 said:

linda
    rads and herceptin walk in park for me. i was on herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. i have not gone to see about reconstructive surgery. I needed some time a way from doctors.i haver to to my doctors about this and i have a surgen just taking my time to go see him good luck

Hey Lind
    I'm finishing chemo

Hey Lind
    I'm finishing chemo now, will start rads in a few weeks and YES I most definitely will have reconstruction as soon as I heal from the rads. This is pretty standrd treatment, what is not usual is them springing it on you like that! But, if wont effect your ability to have reconstruction...just delay it.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Linda
    I am just about through with chemo..I have 2 more taxol/herceptin infusions 2 wks apart and herceptin weekly. I am her2 positive as well and I had bilateral mastectomy with expanders placed. I had to have a second surgery due to a wound complication and had to have 1 of the expanders removed. I will have reconstruction sometime next year. I dont blame you for being a little freaked out about having something dumped in your lap that you werent expecting. Its just more to go thru. But if this is what they feel gives you the best survival rate and is the most aggressive treatment to keep you here then to me the breast reconstruction is not the priority...life is and I am saying that with a very mangled looking right breast.

Hang in there...if you can do chemo, you can do radiation. You are stronger than you think and if you need to vent or to ask questions everyone is here for you.

Hugs
    LInda t