Bone Scan Schehduled

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I finally called for my hip scan and I'm scared to death. I've had a pain in my hip for about two months now and instead of getting better, it's getting worse. It now hurts when I walk or gyrate my hips (like salsa dancing, LOL). It's fine when I'm at rest. My onc. thinks it might be arthritis, but I am fearing the worst. Anyone go through something like this? The scan is on Monday.

Mimi

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    First Test
    Mimi, I am glad you are getting your hip checked out. Like your esteemed oncologist said, it is most probably not related to the beast. Especially since it is not a constant pain but related to activity. Still, it's good to "pull on your big-girl panties" and get it fully checked out.

The first big test after the end of all treatments may well be the most emotionally difficult. That is what I am thinking, anyway. So, it will also be good to get this one out of the way sooner. Like field and track: you get a rhythm early on, and you'll be leaping over the obstacles on the track smoothly and easily. For many, many races to come.

Thank you for letting us know that you scheduled the scan for Monday. Joe and I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers for you.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    So Sorry MIMI!!
    I haven't had a bone scan done yet.. I'm supposed to next week... I think M-grace had it done recently... From the stats I have read most of the time it is arthritis... I will be praying for you!!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    HI Mimi
    Have you been doing to much gyrating?? LOL! I have had some hip and knee pain but I am pretty sure it is from being back to work, as a CNA, we are on our feet all day and lifting people on concrete floors. I know you are very active at the gym..could it be that? also on my last bone scan they found small specks of arthritis.

I know scary these tests can be after all we have been through. Just know we will all be right there with you Monday, hoping and praying for the very best.And you will be back to your Salsa dancing soon!!

Keep us posted on this Mimi, Love ya, Jackie
  • mimivac
    Thanks guys
    for helping to ease my fears. I had hoped the pain would go away on its own, but it hasn't. I am a little reassured, Moopy, that it's only with activity that I feel it. And, no, Jackie, unfortunately I don't do much salsa dancing. I have this image of the doctor asking me when it hurts and me standing up and doing an awkward gyrating dance as though I'm at a bad club. I can see her grimicing and asking me to stop. Yes, I do exercise quite a bit. Cycling doesn't hurt it at all. In fact, I'm about to go to a 45 minute session in a few minutes. Thanks for the good thoughts. I have had to take a valium or ativan these past two nights, thinking about the possibilities. I will keep you guys updated.

Mimi
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    mimivac said:

Thanks guys
    for helping to ease my fears. I had hoped the pain would go away on its own, but it hasn't. I am a little reassured, Moopy, that it's only with activity that I feel it. And, no, Jackie, unfortunately I don't do much salsa dancing. I have this image of the doctor asking me when it hurts and me standing up and doing an awkward gyrating dance as though I'm at a bad club. I can see her grimicing and asking me to stop. Yes, I do exercise quite a bit. Cycling doesn't hurt it at all. In fact, I'm about to go to a 45 minute session in a few minutes. Thanks for the good thoughts. I have had to take a valium or ativan these past two nights, thinking about the possibilities. I will keep you guys updated.

Mimi

Hey
    Mimi, just want to say "good luck" with the scan. I bet it is just the start of arthritis. It seems like several that were on chemo seem to develop this problem. You are doing the very smart thing by getting the test done even if you don't want to. We will all be with you, holding your hand. Please let us know as soon as you know anything! Praying for you!

Lex♥
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Mimi
    My hips hurt constantly, esp when I walk. I am glad that you are having it checked though, better to be safe then sorry. Take a deep breath, this is a breeze. You are in my prayers and my thoughts
    tj
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had a pain in my hip also.
    I had a pain in my hip also. I couldn't get out of chairs without my arms and going up and down stairs was painful. I felt like I was 80! After getting out of a chair, I'd have to stand there a moment before moving. I reported it at my next onc appointment and he scheduled me for a bone scan. It was fine so he sent me to a PCP and he had me take glucosamine chondroitin. It helped and I took it for a few months and quit and I was fine forever more. This happened about a year or a year and a half after treatment ended.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    mimivac said:

Thanks guys

Mimi

Be proactive, Mimi!
    LOL Mimi, you know how we always say on this site that you should be proactive and take control of the situation -- so girl, you should spend the weekend practicing a little salsa routine for your doctor, so at least you'll look GOOD when she asks you to "show me where it hurts"!

:-) Traci
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    mimivac said:

Thanks guys

Mimi

your so funny Mimi
    I was ROFLMAO at your description of gyrating at a "bad club"! thanks for the laugh!
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Marcia527 said:

I had a pain in my hip also.
    I had a pain in my hip also. I couldn't get out of chairs without my arms and going up and down stairs was painful. I felt like I was 80! After getting out of a chair, I'd have to stand there a moment before moving. I reported it at my next onc appointment and he scheduled me for a bone scan. It was fine so he sent me to a PCP and he had me take glucosamine chondroitin. It helped and I took it for a few months and quit and I was fine forever more. This happened about a year or a year and a half after treatment ended.

Hey Mimi...sorry to hear
    Hey Mimi...sorry to hear that you are having pain in your hip, but please know that a lot of chemo patients experience this same pain. I know you aren't taking either an AI or Tamoxifen because of your estrogen (-), so you know it isn't that. However, lots of chemo patients experience an increase in arthiritis just from the drugs. My experience is similar to Marcia...not being able to stand up and walk immediately, and going up and down stairs. Some days I look like I'm 90 and feel like I waddle.....I don't make such an attractive "duck". A bone scan found nothing, and my onc told me it went along with the chemo side effects. Anyway, a friend of mine has arthritis, and she takes a powdered MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). I take it twice a day, 1/4 teaspoon powder mixed in about 2 oz of orange juice. After one week, my hip doesn't bother me at all. Don't ask me what this does, or how it works, I just know that it had stopped the pain in my joints. My husband has really bad horrible arthritis in his hands, and it has stopped the pain for him also. I am certainly not "advertising" for MSM, but if you would like to try it, just PM me and I can give you information on where I ordered it. There are several brands on the market, and the one I use is the only one I have knowledge of first hand. Good luck on Monday, and please let us know the outcome of the bone scan. I will be thinking of you. Hugs.

Judy
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    YUP!
    Mimi I have horrible hip pain sometimes and I have found out it is the tendons not the bone. I had the same fear as you so I totally understand. Mine would get worse when I rode my bike, I don't salsa I'd end up on my keester (see how old I am I used the word keester!) Keep us posted you are in my prayers and I'm sending a bunch of hugs to you as well!

RE
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    RE said:

YUP!
    Mimi I have horrible hip pain sometimes and I have found out it is the tendons not the bone. I had the same fear as you so I totally understand. Mine would get worse when I rode my bike, I don't salsa I'd end up on my keester (see how old I am I used the word keester!) Keep us posted you are in my prayers and I'm sending a bunch of hugs to you as well!

RE

Mimi ♥
    I am so sorry that you are even having this pain at so young of an age. It is probably due to the chemo and that possibly inducing arthritis in your body. I realize that every ache and test brings up anxiety and fear, but just think, you have ALL of us with you, helping you to get thru this. I am sending you gentle hugs and huge prayers Mimi. You are such a bright spot on this board. I hope you know that!

Love, Jeanne ♥

P.S. I was going to make a joke about "Hot Monkey Sex" being the culprit for the pain, but, didn't know if it would be appropriate. WHOOPS, I just did! LOL
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    MIMI
    Glad to hear that your having your hip checked out. I will keep you in my prayers that all goes well for you. Hugs, Diane
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Calleen said:

So Sorry MIMI!!
    I haven't had a bone scan done yet.. I'm supposed to next week... I think M-grace had it done recently... From the stats I have read most of the time it is arthritis... I will be praying for you!!

Mimi, I am sending you lots
    Mimi, I am sending you lots of good wishes and positive thoughts! I bet it has to do with the chemo that you took. I am praying for you!

Kylez ♥
  • mimivac
    TraciInLA said:

Be proactive, Mimi!
    LOL Mimi, you know how we always say on this site that you should be proactive and take control of the situation -- so girl, you should spend the weekend practicing a little salsa routine for your doctor, so at least you'll look GOOD when she asks you to "show me where it hurts"!

:-) Traci

Salsa!
    Traci and Jackie, maybe I should wear a cleavage-bearing red salsa dress and platform shoes to my appointment. The doctors will think I've gone mad and I'll end up in another department under lock and key. LOL.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    High Scanxiety
    That's my term for it, at any rate.

Whenever the Moopster had to have an unexpected scan, or another ER visit, I got myself through largely by telling myself that these "high scanxiety" situations would get less agonizing (as opposed to better) with each one we got under our belt. Now that Moopsy and are on the back side (if not quite yet out of) of another such situation, I can say that my theory is correct.

I confidently predict that your scan will disclose at worst something like arthritis or better, something like "You're walking wrong." Either way, you will get out of this situation with peace of mind and another "situation" beaten - just as you have done every single time on your journey - and be an even stronger woman as a result. I wish you good luck on Monday, Mimi, but I don't think you will really need any. You will win this time too.

Joe
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Mimi,
    I will be thinking of you on Monday...
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Aortus said:

High Scanxiety
    That's my term for it, at any rate.

Whenever the Moopster had to have an unexpected scan, or another ER visit, I got myself through largely by telling myself that these "high scanxiety" situations would get less agonizing (as opposed to better) with each one we got under our belt. Now that Moopsy and are on the back side (if not quite yet out of) of another such situation, I can say that my theory is correct.

I confidently predict that your scan will disclose at worst something like arthritis or better, something like "You're walking wrong." Either way, you will get out of this situation with peace of mind and another "situation" beaten - just as you have done every single time on your journey - and be an even stronger woman as a result. I wish you good luck on Monday, Mimi, but I don't think you will really need any. You will win this time too.

Joe

Mimi
    Sorry about the hip

Mimi

Sorry about the hip pain but glad you are having the scan. The only way to know for sure is to have it checked out. I will be sending all my most positive energy and prayers for a good resolution.
    I loved the picture of you in red with platforms showing them where and when it hurts. You could actually make their day.
    I know that waiting for the tests and then the results is nerve wracking. I say go somewhere special this weekend, out to dinner, show, movie, (maybe not dancing) and hopefully the time will go fast. And as Pammy says, eat ice cream.
    Stef
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Can't add much else.....
    except good luck on Monday and hopefully it is something that can be taken care of easily.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Can't add much else.....
    except good luck on Monday and hopefully it is something that can be taken care of easily.

Love and Light,
    Vicki

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck on Monday Mimi!

Sue :)