How Long????

j916
j916 Member Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all.....
I finished chemo May 29th....and it has been getting better...i've had two reconstruction surgeries since then, and have another to go (hysterectomy) later in the year.
My question is...when do we get all of our strength back? It seems like some days i can just go and go...and then the next i can't get out of bed. It's really irritating, and i am beginning to wonder if this is normal?
Anyone else feeling like this?
jeanne

Comments

• creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Jeana, my onc told me that
    Jeana, my onc told me that it would be at least one year following completion of rads before your body would get back to somewhat normal as far as strength is concerned. I will have completed rads one year ago the end of October, and just the last few weeks I have been feeling stronger. Still not back to my peak, but surely much better than when I first completed tx. Everyone is different. Exercise, and eating properly goes a long way to aiding in getting your strength back on course, and of course, checking into this board on a daily basis is a requirement....lol. Good luck, and I hope things begin to look up for you soon. Just know, we have all been there, and will be pulling for you. Hugs,

Judy
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Jeanne,
    we are all different on here. Some have worked through chemo and rads,some havn't. Some have enough energy to work full-time or part-time after treatments,and some are still trying to get their strength back just for simple activities.And you finished chemo and had your surgeries(with another one to go) not too long ago at all! Sounds like you need to be kind to yourself and continue to rest up-your body has just taken multiple beatings!When you can,maybe get out and walk for a while when you feel up to it.Little by little...
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141

Jeanne,
    we are all different on here. Some have worked through chemo and rads,some havn't. Some have enough energy to work full-time or part-time after treatments,and some are still trying to get their strength back just for simple activities.And you finished chemo and had your surgeries(with another one to go) not too long ago at all! Sounds like you need to be kind to yourself and continue to rest up-your body has just taken multiple beatings!When you can,maybe get out and walk for a while when you feel up to it.Little by little...

impatient
    I know I'm impatient, and am irritated with what cancer has already taken away from me. I was blessed and able to work through chemo (didn't have rads), i had chemo on friday, took off monday, but worked the rest of the time, took off 10 days for my mastectomy (including weekends), and now looking back, feel like i barreled through everything in a "just do, don't think" mode. I'm wondering if it is starting to sink in, numbness beginning to wear off, and all of it catching up with me?
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    j916 said:

impatient
    I know I'm impatient, and am irritated with what cancer has already taken away from me. I was blessed and able to work through chemo (didn't have rads), i had chemo on friday, took off monday, but worked the rest of the time, took off 10 days for my mastectomy (including weekends), and now looking back, feel like i barreled through everything in a "just do, don't think" mode. I'm wondering if it is starting to sink in, numbness beginning to wear off, and all of it catching up with me?

I'm impatient too!
    I just finished up rads this week and I am anxiously waiting on my energy to come back too. I have spurts where I feel like I am on speed or something. So I take advantage of it and get alot done. Then I just crash (did too much I guess when I felt full of energy!). I have a list of things I would like done before October as that is when my next surgery is. So I just go with the flow....Energy one hour, gone the next! Guess that will have to do for now (LOL). Pammy