How To Pick a Bra?

mizv
mizv Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

I am about 3 months past a left mastectomy and feel like the soreness is gone enough to start wearing a bra again. I have looked at many websites but just find them confusing. I did buy one of those post-surgery camisoles with the fiberfill inserts, but it is made of spandex material and is just too hot to wear here in Texas. Was really disapointed in it. I'd love to wear cotton camisoles instead of bras, except I still have my right breast, so I guess it needs something to support it, too. I tried on one of my old bras with a couple of "falsies" that I already had that I used to use to even out the cup size and hide the nipple area. It was so funny - the left side wound up under my collar bone, while the right side stayed where it was supposed to be.

Anyway, I guess my questions are: regards a post-mastectomy bra being made differently so that it doesnt ride up on the missing side; How does one "even up" both sides so they are the same size; What type silicone (so expensive) or foam insert to use, flat back or contoured inside; What is the difference between weighted and non weighted. Also, I wear a "B" cup, would it be possible to go up to a "C" - on both sides? Oh my, my vanity is showing, lol.

I know yall are a wealth of information - I have learned SO much just in the short 2 weeks I have been a member here. I appreciate each and every post - thanks so much!

Val

Comments

• mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Mastectomy bras
    The mastectomy bras have a "pocket" on the missing side that holds the prostetic in place so it won't ride up. The silicone prostesics are quite a bit heavier than the foam ones too so they sit more naturally on your chest. My surgeon's nurse told me that you want some of that weight to keep your shoulders balanced. I guess it can lead to back problems.

They make so many different sizes and shapes, it really helps to try them on before you choose. Nordstrom lingerie department sells them and a friend told me you could go there to try on differnt types and sizes. I'm glad I did it that way. I don't think I would have ordered what I ended up with. It really helps to see it inside the bra on your body. If you can find somewhere that sells them so you can try them on it might help you decide what feels and looks best. I thought they all felt weird but I got a silicone one and I getting pretty used to it now. There are ways you can put a pocket in any kind of bra to hold it too, so you don't have to choose just a bra designed for a prostesis.

You might want to check your insurance. My insurance paid for my prosthesis and even a small amount toward my bras. Nordstrom was even able to bill my insurance which was pretty nice.

I know what you mean about the fiber foam ones. I had to wear it out a couple times right after surgery and I always felt like it was constantly under my chin!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    mickeymom said:

Mastectomy bras
    The mastectomy bras have a "pocket" on the missing side that holds the prostetic in place so it won't ride up. The silicone prostesics are quite a bit heavier than the foam ones too so they sit more naturally on your chest. My surgeon's nurse told me that you want some of that weight to keep your shoulders balanced. I guess it can lead to back problems.

They make so many different sizes and shapes, it really helps to try them on before you choose. Nordstrom lingerie department sells them and a friend told me you could go there to try on differnt types and sizes. I'm glad I did it that way. I don't think I would have ordered what I ended up with. It really helps to see it inside the bra on your body. If you can find somewhere that sells them so you can try them on it might help you decide what feels and looks best. I thought they all felt weird but I got a silicone one and I getting pretty used to it now. There are ways you can put a pocket in any kind of bra to hold it too, so you don't have to choose just a bra designed for a prostesis.

You might want to check your insurance. My insurance paid for my prosthesis and even a small amount toward my bras. Nordstrom was even able to bill my insurance which was pretty nice.

I know what you mean about the fiber foam ones. I had to wear it out a couple times right after surgery and I always felt like it was constantly under my chin!

Mickeymom .. thanks for the information ..
    This is very informative .. Insurance companies .. well I don't want to go there right now. Nordstrom is an awesome store.

VickiSam
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    I think if you concact the
    I think if you concact the ACS, they have some kind of store or can help you find one. And, your cancer center or oncology department should know of a specialty bra store that has a department just for bc survivors. And, your insurance should pay for most of the cost.

Kylez ♥
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Kylez said:

I think if you concact the
    I think if you concact the ACS, they have some kind of store or can help you find one. And, your cancer center or oncology department should know of a specialty bra store that has a department just for bc survivors. And, your insurance should pay for most of the cost.

Kylez ♥

Be sure and check with your
    Be sure and check with your insurance company, but most will pay all or a large part of any bras you might get. And, there is a store in my breast cancer center that even sells bras for those that need them. There are also stores that specialize in bras for women with bc. Ask your cancer center, oncologist or check your phonebook. Good luck!

Lex♥