Restrictions after mastectomy/reconstruction

arbojenn
arbojenn Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone ever had restrictions upon returning to work after a mastectomy and/or reconstruction? I was told I could not return to work if I had any restrictions at all, like "use a cane" or refrain from lifting x pounds. (I work for the state, so I guess they don't want to worry about workmen's comp should I get injured on the job when I had restrictions.) I have the disability from the state, but wonder if anyone ever had any restrictions and if so, what kind. Thanks.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Well, I was told not to lift
    Well, I was told not to lift over 25 pounds with the arm on the mastectomy side but I had 15 lymph nodes removed also. I'm not sure if you can if you use both arms. I'm just not moving anything heavy these days. You might want to talk to your doc.

I did not have reconstruction either.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I had a masectomy in
    I had a masectomy in November, I also had 11 lymph nodes removed, so my recovery was a little tough. I was told not to lift anything heavy with that arm, but I do not remember any pound limit. I was out of work for 8 weeks, I work at a computer all day and the typing was very painful for me. I still try not to lift anything heavy, even my pocketbook. I also had reconstruction, I had expanders put in. I guess it will depend on how many lymph nodes you have removed and how you feel afterwards. Each person recovers differently, I also had a tough time driving. My range of motion was way off. Take the time you need off work, your body needs to recover. I hope your surgery goes well, take care.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I had a masectomy in
    I had a masectomy in November, I also had 11 lymph nodes removed, so my recovery was a little tough. I was told not to lift anything heavy with that arm, but I do not remember any pound limit. I was out of work for 8 weeks, I work at a computer all day and the typing was very painful for me. I still try not to lift anything heavy, even my pocketbook. I also had reconstruction, I had expanders put in. I guess it will depend on how many lymph nodes you have removed and how you feel afterwards. Each person recovers differently, I also had a tough time driving. My range of motion was way off. Take the time you need off work, your body needs to recover. I hope your surgery goes well, take care.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi arbojenn
    I work as an rn in a homecare agency and I couldnt see patients at all until my lifting restriction were completely gone which for me ended up being 7 weeks mostly cuz I had a complication on the right side and had to have one of the expanders removed. Now I am on chemo and I have patient care restrictions...no one with wounds, infections obviously, viruses, doesnt leave much.

Hang in there

Linda t
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Hi arbojenn. I had a
    Hi arbojenn. I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't reply to your question, but, I see some here have already. I hope that you have an easy time when you continue back to work.

Lex♥