Chemo .. does it help with adult onset "Acme"

VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I sorry if my question sounds a little vain, but I have been fight acme for years, I am hoping that my chemo will help clear up my adult acme, and I stop purchasing every acme product known to man and women.

Anyone with same problem ?

Thank you,

Vicki Sam

Comments

• ritazimm
    ritazimm Member Posts: 171
    Funny thing
    It's a funny thing you mention that. The first time I met with the med onc after my first chemo session, I told him that they must have given me the wrond drug because if it couldn't kill acne, it certainly couldn't kill cancer. He laughed and assured me that I did get the correct drug but that the steroids (I think that was the drugs he blamed it on) can cause an increase in the acne. I think I continued to have the acne until somewhere around the third chemo session and then it seemed to get better. I actually have had much less acne since completing the chemo but it could also be due to the menopause that they put me in. It may bave been hormone related for me, but I really don't know. I'm just glad that it is better!

Good luck!
    Rita
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    ritazimm said:

Funny thing
    It's a funny thing you mention that. The first time I met with the med onc after my first chemo session, I told him that they must have given me the wrond drug because if it couldn't kill acne, it certainly couldn't kill cancer. He laughed and assured me that I did get the correct drug but that the steroids (I think that was the drugs he blamed it on) can cause an increase in the acne. I think I continued to have the acne until somewhere around the third chemo session and then it seemed to get better. I actually have had much less acne since completing the chemo but it could also be due to the menopause that they put me in. It may bave been hormone related for me, but I really don't know. I'm just glad that it is better!

Good luck!
    Rita

Similar experience for me
    After my first chemo, my skin got REALLY oily, and my face and chest broke out for the first time in years -- I felt like I was a teenager again! I forget whether my oncologist blamed it on the steroids, the chemo, or both. It lasted for about two weeks after chemo. However, after my second chemo, I didn't have that problem at all, so I'm hoping it was just that one time.

So, VickiSam, just be prepared that, instead of *clearing up* the acne, it could instead go the other way, at least temporarily.

But man, I'm with Rita -- if chemo can kill cancer cells, can't it also kill acne, and maybe a few other things that we *don't* want? In my case, I don't understand why my legs didn't get the "hair fall out now" memo?!?

:-) Traci
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    It might depend
    I wonder if it might depend on which chemo you get because my skin go so dry that everything cleared up beautifully. I don't think the skin on my face has looked this good in years. It is a chore to keep up with the dryness causing wrinkles, but the acne is gone! I did 4x of AC and I've noticed now that I'm on Taxol my skin isn't quite so dry.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Chemo side effects
    Vicki, I actually started breaking out on chemo, all over my face and my head. Never had acne in my life til chemo, I was one of those lucky ones who had maybe 5 pimples my whole teenage life. But it did have one great side effect for me, I never had a single migraine while I was on chemo. Too bad, I'm sure people won't decide to use it for headaches though.
    Cat
  • VickiSam
    cats_toy said:

Chemo side effects
    Vicki, I actually started breaking out on chemo, all over my face and my head. Never had acne in my life til chemo, I was one of those lucky ones who had maybe 5 pimples my whole teenage life. But it did have one great side effect for me, I never had a single migraine while I was on chemo. Too bad, I'm sure people won't decide to use it for headaches though.
    Cat

Thank you for the postings .. I can live with my migraines
    however, with a bald head and acme - I think I maybe the female version of the famous 'Pillsburg Dough Boy'.

24 hours after my 3 cocktail chemo, I am fatigued - I am unable to sleep. No major side efforts other than sleeping and fatigue. I have so enjoyed chemo postings, along with comments .. There is a WEALTH of information on our boards .. chew gum, when the metal taste is in my mouth .. this worked. Continue to purchase razors, as I will be one of the few lucky ladies like TraciinLA who will continue to grow hair my legs, and no wear else.

I can't figure out how our bc cocktails can kill every possible string of cancer, but can not kill the bateria of Acme .. I am puzzled.

Trying to keep my sense of humor,

VickiSam
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    VickiSam said:

Thank you for the postings .. I can live with my migraines
    however, with a bald head and acme - I think I maybe the female version of the famous 'Pillsburg Dough Boy'.

24 hours after my 3 cocktail chemo, I am fatigued - I am unable to sleep. No major side efforts other than sleeping and fatigue. I have so enjoyed chemo postings, along with comments .. There is a WEALTH of information on our boards .. chew gum, when the metal taste is in my mouth .. this worked. Continue to purchase razors, as I will be one of the few lucky ladies like TraciinLA who will continue to grow hair my legs, and no wear else.

I can't figure out how our bc cocktails can kill every possible string of cancer, but can not kill the bateria of Acme .. I am puzzled.

Trying to keep my sense of humor,

VickiSam

Razors...check with your doctor
    Just a little warning about razors, VickiSam:

My oncologist would prefer that I NOT shave my legs, as there is a risk of infection if I nicked myself -- but he's okay with my using an electric razor, and only shaving toward the end of each chemo cycle, when my white blood cell counts are nice and high.

So do check with your dr. before you get too happy with those razors! :-)

Traci
  • VickiSam
    TraciInLA said:

Razors...check with your doctor
    Just a little warning about razors, VickiSam:

My oncologist would prefer that I NOT shave my legs, as there is a risk of infection if I nicked myself -- but he's okay with my using an electric razor, and only shaving toward the end of each chemo cycle, when my white blood cell counts are nice and high.

So do check with your dr. before you get too happy with those razors! :-)

Traci

TracinLA .. Thank you so very much for the heads up
    I would of never thought about this .. Infection and all.

VickiSam